Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #2,026 of 2,710
Yes, I've tried that app. I'm not one to instantly install apps. And indeed, I get good results. Country of origin is not that good (affects price) but if recognises even old records.

The only downside is, if you have 10k albums like me, it still takes a long time.

And it doesn't take into account if it's mint or only poor. I guess it takes the average price 'sold for'.
Yes, that was my brief experience.
For me personally, it’s a good way to file records I own. Pricing is less accurate and like you said, doesn’t take condition into consideration and wrong version could increase or decrease the actual fair price. I don’t sell my records so, it doesn’t bother me. And yes, it still takes time to put all those records into the system. Keep in mind that you probably gonna have to adjust the price and misrepresentation of your LPs manually. That adds up to already exhausting process of cataloging your collection. But it could be handy. I see a lot of guys that keep their entire collection on Discogs. But they do buy and sell a bunch so I can see the benefit in doing that. For me…… not so much.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #2,027 of 2,710
Well, it is faster than typing it in so that's a good thing. Only I don't sell a lot and I do my entire collection from memory. That works for me (as long as I trust my instinct). I'm not a mentat but it's not that hard to remember what you bought over the years. After all if it's really your hobby you spend a lot of time with buying, cleaning, archiving and ultimately playing your records.
Like, when I watch a movie, really watch, like in the cinema, and I see it 30 years later, I still know what it was about, or plot twists. Hmm... Actually I usually see the plot twists from a mile away (don't kiss her you dumbass, she's your sister). Or, "you're dreaming stupid, you don't get stuck in a tight alley like that. You're 5 levels deep already. "

I like using my mind. Better than AI.

Oct 24, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #2,028 of 2,710
What did comparison looked like?
Twofold. Couple favorites tracks on speaker rig. Swapping back and forward several times. Trying to match levels ofcause. Take notepad and mental notes.
Move to headphone rig and repeat the process.

596CE2A3-0532-4329-9A89-9101EB6E682E.jpeg

D681B41D-418C-4D03-A9E9-768F342E076C.jpeg

All records went through extensive cleaning (Can watch it here). Just to make sure that records were at their best.

So, first impressions are from my speakers stereo rig.
Differences were clearly auditable but not shocking as far as differences might go. Yes, you can easily tell subtle and those more obvious differences but generally, my speaker system is much more forgiving than my headphone monitoring rig.
Ok, so here we go.
Original ‘Wall” is clearly superior.
Other then being fresher, cleaner, more specious, it also had 3 dimensional soundscape and depth. Soundstage that you can walk around, side to side and anywhere in between. It had a solid unified image of a performance. While the newer release was more 2 dimensional and focused on emphasis around certain aspect of instrumental presence but overall atmosphere was lost and feeling of being there was gone. Guitars, vocals, hi-hat were so crisp yet sounding natural and effortlessly on OG. Just cleaner, more dynamic, crisper and punchier.
All of it was even more apparent on my headphone rig which is build for that purpose really. To look deep into the grove and into the quality behind the records being played/evaluated.
Differences here were much, much easier to hear and it became clear that OG was clearly the superior product. No question about it. New repress/reissue was enjoyable, definitely good enough for most Pink Floyd fans but, in comparisons to OG, it felt a little flat and anemic.
So, is it worth to look for OG “Wall”? I don’t know... If you care about that (best SQ), about Pink Floyd and this album, then yeah, you should try to find OG copy that is clean. Don’t know how much they ask for those but anywhere between $50-100 would be a worthy investment. It’s just better.

Then I went back to my OG version of Animals vs 2018 remix. Both got cleaned and the same evaluation method was applied. This time the 2018 mix smoked the OG version. With few exception like, a very clever panning and use of 3D soundscape to tell the story. But recording is grainy, muddy and a bit dirty as far as quality goes. Personally, I much prefer 2016 remix/remaster. And it’s probably my favorite one. Something between the OG and flashy 2018 remix.
265176CA-6973-4171-86F3-F53889B0EAC1.jpeg

449AE210-515E-411C-98B9-FC12CF7A8E0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #2,029 of 2,710
Actually looking the other direction to see if the newer remaster was better and worth looking for …
Guess not,
Keep the OG ersions in good condition and spend the $$ elsewhere … 👍
Have the OG CD release too … mainly for the car at the time …

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #2,030 of 2,710
The BN copy I suppose to check (for @]eep I think) for soundstage/imaging, got mysteriously lost. Not sure where is it? Shame. It drove me nuts today and forced me to clean up and rearrange about 900 to1000 LPs. No luck. But at least I got better idea what’s where and shelves look cleaner with matching spines. Lol
I’ll definitely try to find it this week. It’s a great album and I hope I still got it somewhere. Or I’ll have to get another copy. SMH

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #2,031 of 2,710
Actually looking the other direction to see if the newer remaster was better and worth looking for …
Guess not,
Keep the OG ersions in good condition and spend the $$ elsewhere … 👍
Have the OG CD release too … mainly for the car at the time …
Do you have OG of the Wall?
If so, keep it. New remix is good but not THAT good.
I have two copies of new remix. One still sealed. Not sure why? Lol

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #2,033 of 2,710
The joys of being a collector … Lol
Yup, OG on vinyl and CD …
Vinyl bought close to its release so should be an earlier pressing …
Well, don’t know what to tell you?
Do you really need another copy of the “Wall”? I quest if you play it a lot and want to save it from the excessive wear, maybe? But I would probably wait for new, upcoming version. Just speculating but I have a feeling that it might be just around the corner. :wink:
OG Animals on the other hand is underwhelming. I don’t have a dozen different pressings of it or those “hot stampers” (A2B2) but I think that overall Animals OG isn’t the way to go. For the money or SQ.

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #2,034 of 2,710
Listening to:
09DD0717-CB71-4F1D-A1DF-9B958C9E5502.jpeg

Sound is pretty good. 👍

Almost went through both sides of this weird “scary” tunes but headache it gave me was just too much. Sound isn’t the problem. The music is.
6B059C88-5C1C-4067-A5A5-733CCDA4BA7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #2,035 of 2,710
How annoying when you can't find a record. I know the problem. It even happens in the digital form. Often even because of bad or non-existent tagging. Or placed in the wrong folder.
Organising skills are as basic as kindergarten skills. Cut and paste are always needed.

I just ordered the David Sylvian - Sleepwalkers album. I noticed 1 in stock at a lower price (€46>€31) so I acted instantly. I know it might be some AI sales tactic but I am not biting because I'm hungry but because I made up my mind beforehand. It's a real must have for me.

Oct 25, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,036 of 2,710
Funny thing is that I was convinced that I had multiple copies of it. Lol
Good news is that I’ve only couple hundred LPs left to go through. I can’t imagine having to navigate around 10K records tho. Perhaps the true collector’ mindset works in more organized matter? Or perhaps, I am just a really disorganized cat…. Having extremely fragile memory doesn’t help. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #2,037 of 2,710
To come back to Amazon.nl delivery. I can't give it any other note than 'perfect'. Over the top even. It had a black Amazon prime band but I didn't order that. Even if it did come 2 days earlier than the states Thursday, ie prime speed. And DHL is very punctual in it's messages. I got a mail tonight (4am) saying today 17.30 - 21.00, an half hour ago more exact 17.20 - 18.05 and the intercom rang exactly 17.20. And a confirmation mail that it had been delivered.

Packaging double boxed. And as you can see the inner box (which would have been perfect on its own) has a prepared label for storage.
There is no hypesticker either.

Still, the sleeve is rounded over the edges because of rather tight shrink wrap. The sleeve is rather thin, no gatefold. Not Amazon's fault. Review to follow

IMG_20221025_173734.jpg

IMG_20221025_174108.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,038 of 2,710
Funny thing is that I was convinced that I had multiple copies of it. Lol
Good news is that I’ve only couple hundred LPs left to go through. I can’t imagine having to navigate around 10K records tho. Perhaps the true collector’ mindset works in more organized matter? Or perhaps, I am just a really disorganized cat…. Having extremely fragile memory doesn’t help. :wink:
I don't have a photographic memory, just a good memory. My neighbor said she was amazed at how many things I just remember. I can get along really well with her chatterbox of a son, like minds...

The thing is; you need to make filing space ahead of time. Get the big 4x4 Kallax and put some fillers in which you can remove later. Or bookends. Then just put them on alphabet. Expand as you get more, just keep them straight upright.

Alphabetically by artist usually works, and for classical by composer and main opus.

This works if you don't make 'chronological stacks' of new buys, 2nH buys to clean, cleaned etc. It does take a bit of discipline. Army draft isn't always bad.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,039 of 2,710
To come back to Amazon.nl delivery. I can't give it any other note than 'perfect'. Over the top even. It had a black Amazon prime band but I didn't order that. Even if it did come 2 days earlier than the states Thursday, ie prime speed. And DHL is very punctual in it's messages. I got a mail tonight (4am) saying today 17.30 - 21.00, an half hour ago more exact 17.20 - 18.05 and the intercom rang exactly 17.20. And a confirmation mail that it had been delivered.

Packaging double boxed. And as you can see the inner box (which would have been perfect on its own) has a prepared label for storage.
There is no hypesticker either.

Still, the sleeve is rounded over the edges because of rather tight shrink wrap. The sleeve is rather thin, no gatefold. Not Amazon's fault. Review to follow

It’s weird how they choose to ship our records. Sometimes, it’s the thinnest flat cardboard that barely fits gatefold record. And the other times, a total overkill.
I’m guessing that it depends where the package is coming from.
I don’t work for Amazon but I’m fairly knowledgeable about logistics. In the nutshell, 2nd day delivery prime orders get shipped from the local warehouse on in-stock items. Those items are usually going straight onto local delivery vans/trucks. No excessive packaging necessary. Anything that’s shipped from other Amaz (out of State) distribution centers or directly from store/seller gets packed accordingly. It usually means oversized or double boxed parcel. It’s not always the case though. If it’s coming from the store/seller directly, packaging quality and care falls on the source of your order. That’s why, it’s a crapshoot.
Looks like you got more than lucky.
Unless that box fell off the truck and got run over by a bus, it should easily survive the usual careless handling of the personnel throughout the shipping journey.
Let us know how you like it and if it was worth the wait…

I have several shipments coming soon. But because I usually mix preorders with instock items to save on shipping (free over certain amount), it usually takes longer for records that already came out to get to me. That’s fine. I don’t have 33RPM YouTube channel that needs latest and greatest LPs as soon as they are released.
‘18’, album of the greatest Pirate character ever has arrived today. Nothing to write home about. I don’t have any expectations really. But hopefully it’s OK…

As to record cataloging at home. I do it by labels mostly. Newer releases and everything else go to separate cabinet. It gets sorted out alphabetically, by genre, LPs that didn’t get played yet and LPs that need to get cleaned or need new sleeves etc. My favorite labels go straight to their assigned place but are put to the side. Just to make sure they don’t get lost in the mixed mess. And as you already know, they get lost anyway. Lol

One of five cabinets.
This one is mostly newer BN, Intervention and MoFi. Bottom is mostly box sets or oversized boutique packaging.
437FA271-D199-4C3E-BB7A-9CAF7FA44F0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back