Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Jan 16, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #826 of 2,710
I've done most of the modifications, only on MM so far (I skipped 2 caps and valves). It was hard to get the board out, I needed to desolder some wires first. But they were Teflon coated wires. The caps weren't even that bad. The last 2 are Arcotronics mkpc that got a decent 7 in the cap test on humblehomehifi. But Sprague are a lot better. I put 2.0 instead of 4.7 uF in its place, same as in my Jolida. Maybe it cuts the bass a bit early but so what. Rumblefilter enabled.

The board and solder was a dream to work on. So easy. It didn't take me anywhere as long as normal. Here are some pictures. Results will follow later.
IMG_20220117_011935.jpg

Vokshod 6n23p (military grade ECC88) and some Dutch pride ecc81

IMG_20220117_011701.jpg

MC tubes and coupling caps before the relais, from bottom to top, untouched (so far)

IMG_20220117_012134.jpg

Detail of some golden age glory. Paper in oil capacitors, glass sealed. And original Miniwatt tubes.

I am a fan of tubes, when used right, in the right place and of good quality. But I am also pragmatic enough to just listen and use any system that works. I know a tube phono amp can work really well because I had an Audio Innovations 500 amp (4xEL34) that had an excellent phono pre-amplifier stage. Unfortunately it was dropped and totalled on its first maintenance trip. That's why I'm still looking for a good tube phono. This Klimo cline has the potential. But I'm happy to stick with my own, totally unique Jolida JD9.

I've also been listening to Daft Punk - Random Access Memories. On lp via the Jolida. I know it's such a cliché but I'm hearing things I've never heard before. It sounds so much more realistic. Background is absolutely quiet. On the song 'Get lucky', I've heard it so many times on flac, now Pharrell Williams is breathing. I never noticed that before. I can just hear him before and after he sings, breathing in and breathing out. So much more micro detail audible.
The song before that; 'I remember touch', well yes. Touch is about the only thing missing. This brings the music so much more alive. It's expensive on lp, but very much worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #827 of 2,710
Nice result ….
Only have Random Access Memories on CD which I bought new for $10 a few years back and the recording quality through my digital gear always had me wondering about the Vinyl version but as you say no price drop on that, re releases of earlier albums on 180g Vinyl are available for around $40 but it’s still priced over $80 when available, and that’s a “normal” 180g not an “audiophile” company release, I love chasing new experiences but for now at least I need to be content with my existing Vinyl and digital collection.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #828 of 2,710
Wonder how new Black Ice Audio (rebranded Jolida) Fusion 9 MKIII phono would stock up to your old Jolida? Perhaps you already looked into it…? I saw different pricing on it but it can be had for under $800.

And where do you get your caps from, … eBay?

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #829 of 2,710
I can't find much info on it. Same distributor though, that did all sorts of upgrades for steep prices that didn't fix any of its basic flaws. From the specs and the backside the Fusion 9 looks like exactly the same unit but for an xlr output. And a bigger case.

I think it's not worth more than it's price. I payed €250 for mine back then, 2ndH from a friend who bought it in China. That's a lot more accurate for what it is. Unless you know what to fix, then it's a bargain.

I wouldn't trust that XLR to be really balanced since the tube buffer is clearly single ended. And so is the whole opamp section.

Yes, I got most on Ebay. But I have a little stash. I don't buy much on Ebay anymore. The extra costs are driving me nuts. Postage is really ridiculous. And then if you're unlucky you get charged VAT and handling costs on 2ndH stuff.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #830 of 2,710
I can't find much info on it. Same distributor though, that did all sorts of upgrades for steep prices that didn't fix any of its basic flaws. From the specs and the backside the Fusion 9 looks like exactly the same unit but for an xlr output. And a bigger case.

I think it's not worth more than it's price. I payed €250 for mine back then, 2ndH from a friend who bought it in China. That's a lot more accurate for what it is. Unless you know what to fix, then it's a bargain.

I wouldn't trust that XLR to be really balanced since the tube buffer is clearly single ended. And so is the whole opamp section.

Yes, I got most on Ebay. But I have a little stash. I don't buy much on Ebay anymore. The extra costs are driving me nuts. Postage is really ridiculous. And then if you're unlucky you get charged VAT and handling costs on 2ndH stuff.
That tube buffer is on the input stage right? If so......, definitely not balanced.
Perhaps an option for someone looking for plug-and-play option. 1K (I think that's the retail price here in US) might be a bit much for what it is.
Wondering if you would be able to point out areas that could potentially be improved in my own phono circuit if I took some pictures of it?

Jan 18, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #831 of 2,710
I would think that the EAT petit is pretty awesome as is. Tuberolling is straightforward. Maybe you could improve just a little with coupling caps. I don't remember exactly but iirc it's a pure tube amp. I don't know of much else in the signal path that is worthwhile replacing.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #832 of 2,710
I would think that the EAT petit is pretty awesome as is. Tuberolling is straightforward. Maybe you could improve just a little with coupling caps. I don't remember exactly but iirc it's a pure tube amp. I don't know of much else in the signal path that is worthwhile replacing.
I was thinking about my Chinese made Consonance Audio Ref40 phono.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #833 of 2,710
Ah OK. Probably. Although I can't say much to the schematic there will probably be parts that could be improved on. Usual suspects are big yellow capacitors.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #834 of 2,710
Mostly Solen as I remember…. The only yellow cap is Nichicon (I think).

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #835 of 2,710
I have not so good experience with Solen caps. Some people said that they were fake, however, I really disliked them. I'm not saying that Opera was using fakes but mine really held back my amplifier. If they are between 2 tubes, coupling caps, I would replace them immediately.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #836 of 2,710
I have not so good experience with Solen caps. Some people said that they were fake, however, I really disliked them. I'm not saying that Opera was using fakes but mine really held back my amplifier. If they are between 2 tubes, coupling caps, I would replace them immediately.
Got it. Not sure if they’re “real” or not but I heard that Opera had some of their capacitors made exclusively for them. A bit of a suspect but I really don’t know much about that.

Any particular brand that you could safely recommend as a replacement?
Pretty sure I could source out whatever you might suggest as far as capacitors go.
I could have had a little fun trying to compare suggested cap variants…..
Eventho I do feel that auditory memory isn’t the best of tools... However, it wouldn’t hurt to try.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #837 of 2,710
I had a pair of .1uF Solens in my Opera Consonance Cyber 20 headphone amp (coupling caps for the EL84s). Once I had ripped them out and replaced them with Audio Note Copper Foils, the midrange opened up considerably.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #838 of 2,710
Due to impending space constraints (we are planning to sell our house and move into a city-centre apartment), I have decided to sell about half of my equipment. The dedicated mono turntable will have to go (Townshend Rock / Roksan Tabriz / AT MONO3/LP). I will keep the cartridge, and have ordered a well-preserved Ortofon AS-212 tonearm, which will become the second arm on my Garrard 301. As it came from a Telefunken turntable, it has neither a mounting plate nor an armlift: both have been ordered as reproductions from Serge Karmadon in the Ukraine. I will also be using a modern Ortofon headshell, as the original doesn’t allow for overhang adjustment.

73F83755-6EF3-49CD-B68D-788941260C36.jpeg

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #839 of 2,710
I had a pair of .1uF Solens in my Opera Consonance Cyber 20 headphone amp (coupling caps for the EL84s). Once I had ripped them out and replaced them with Audio Note Copper Foils, the midrange opened up considerably.
Did you follow any particular sound description guidelines when choosing caps for that mod or did you just go with gut feeling?
I could probably look up some capacitor comparison material on line but wonder what would be the determining factor other then my own perception of what might need an improvement?

And good luck with the move.
I’m actually dreaming to move away from the city. Not going to post my reasons here since censorship on here has very fragile understanding of human interactions. So I might hurt somebody’s “feelings”.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #840 of 2,710
There are cities and cities…

I have had good experience in the past with Audio Note capacitors, as they add midrange transparency without the woolly bass often associated with PIOs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back