Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #811 of 2,710
To continue the heavy lifting, now playing Skunk Anansi, not that easy to find. I have 3 albums on vinyl, this is Wanderlustre. Another great sounding 180g lp. Sounds a bit thick but nice. Could also be the tube phono. I think changing the caps will give it more air.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #812 of 2,710
Yup, you will never hear: “you'll only pry ithis hard drive out of my cold dead hands...”

To continue the heavy lifting, now playing Skunk Anansi, not that easy to find. I have 3 albums on vinyl, this is Wanderlustre. Another great sounding 180g lp. Sounds a bit thick but nice. Could also be the tube phono. I think changing the caps will give it more air.
I’m not familiar with it. I’m not familiar with many things to be quite frank.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #813 of 2,710
It's a British band, so that wouldn't surprise me. For us Europeans the difference between different English speaking countries isn't always that clear. And British bands do not always make it across the pond. Here in the Netherlands we're very internationally oriented, although most music is in English. Only country is usually under represented because that type of music or target group rather listens (-ed to) in the local language. So-called tearjerkers :wink:

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #814 of 2,710
I’m sort of European. Lol
I’ve been away for a couple decades thought. But music of my youth consisted of metal and Punk Rock for the most part. My taste matured with age and old favorites kind of faded away.
And I have to shamefully admit that audiophile journey tainted my music preferences for a while with questionable choices. Lol

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #815 of 2,710
I keep putting Nathaniel Rateliff Live at Red Rocks 2020 back on my turntable. I just can't get enough of it. Great pressing as well. Can't go back to the digital version now...

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #818 of 2,710
Cool. Welcome to Vinyl Circle.

Side note:
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Mono Version.) Available On 180g vinyl is available for preorder.
Pink Floyd original debut album. Cut from original analog master tapes by Bernie Grundman.
082AC84B-11E6-4DE9-9399-69B800C7ECDC.jpeg

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #819 of 2,710
Listening to:
3A6C7980-6704-40CA-9943-5D3F4F471F99.jpeg

Mancini’s The Pink Panther is clearly a must have. Speakers Corner did an amazing job with this release a while back. It’s still in pressing but there’s a waiting list as this title tends to fly off the shelves.
Sign up for notifications if you are interested. Once it’s re-pressed you will be notified. Worth it.

Jan 15, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #820 of 2,710
I have a great album to share. I bought the original, still near mint, still blows me away. And I suggest you read the lyric sheet, or better; the book it's based on.

IMG_20220115_151645.jpg

There is also the other side of the coin, a book called 'Brave new world' (I saw there's a 2020 series but no idea how close it follows Aldous Huxley's book from 1932) where the delta's (say what?) thrive on the stuff called 'soma' to make all their worries go away. No need to worry, the alphas take good care of us. Have another beer in the pub with us mate!

I'm not trying to lecture anyone but when you know how to look there's a real treasure of knowledge and social criticism in music, literature and art in general. Music isn't just to soothe your mind but also to be able to say things that really need to be said in public. Alice in wonderland (ref 'The matrix' s white rabbit), Gulliver travels (potato famine) and 'The wizard of Oz' (indictment of the - later- federal reserve system) aren't Disney children's stories. Also referenced in a lot of songs.

One that just popped in my mind: Sinead O'Connor singing about her Ireland and the great famine 'that there never really was one'. Think about it. It's centuries later and people still learn the false propaganda in 'his-story' books. Now substitute the word 'famine' for the current predicament. Darpa on 'Project Veritas'.

Let the jester expose the bad king.

Edit: just back from the recordstore. The thriftshop was very organised after my last visit. Seems like they had 'some' extra time. Only not much worth getting. But the recordstore was nice and busy. Really good collection and organised 2ndH section. I saw some nice original Rolling Stones albums. Only the one I liked was a spanish pressing, known for cheap recycled vinyl. Beggars banquet with the censored white cover. Let it bleed was original. But I really dislike the Stones. Music is good but their attitude isn't (long story short: they're on the wrong side of the eternal war).

What I did buy was overdue: Daft Punk - Random access memories; it will not drop in price however long you wait. And 'The Wall' Remastered on 180g. I was convinced I had it but I can't find it anywhere. I thought I might enjoy a flawless pressing. Talk about socially relevant: you should check out Roger Waters interviews. He has a lot to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 15, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #821 of 2,710
Daft Punk Random Access Memories …. Great album, ditto with The Wall,
Heard any of Roger Waters solo stuff …
Amused to death,
Is this the life we really want ?
Us and them … live concert with some Pink Floyd classics as well …
Plenty of opinion and social commentary in those …

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #822 of 2,710
Speaking of Pink Floyd. Does anyone got any opinion on his live concerts on vinyl?
I could be wrong but his live in Gdansk concert was the only one accompanied with sizable orchestra ? And that box set is ridiculously expensive.

Jan 16, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #823 of 2,710
Haven’t played it in a while but it’s “no dark sarcasm in the classroom”,
And you presume wrongly that I haven’t read George Orwell’s classic novel and the parallels to the current situation, taking any news source on face value is fraught with danger unless you take the time to try and look for verification from as many sources as possible, and act accordingly…
I considered myself as “fortunate” that I was of the age to have retirement as an option in early 2020 and chose that option in part to have some control over when and where I went and with who, as well as the body reminding me that 50 years of physical work was taking its toll …
Still, back to music and there’s lots off passing references to “1984” in popular music, The Buggles album that contained the light hearted “Video killed the radio star” also had songs like “Astro Boy and the Proles on parade” and “Living in the plastic age”, as one example, the Roger Waters albums I mentioned can be a lot “darker” in some songs … there’s a YouTube video of his “picture that” but I won’t post a link as politics and religion are a forum discussion best avoided … 😉

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #824 of 2,710
I just tried to use the passive preamp to switch phono leads from 2 transformers to 1 MM input. It works but it takes away a lot of purity and introduces audible hum. I tried to rerout the wires and grounding but signals are still to minute and fragile. I also switched phono preamps before doing this.

Now back from stock tubes to tweaked opamps. It sounds a lot clearer. More space and more definition. It feels liberating in a sense. Now I can modify the Klimo clone and see what happens. If I can raise the quality to where it's down to taste instead of missing out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #825 of 2,710
There is always debate about valves vs solid state phono preamps, the designer of some well reviewed phono preamps once was asked why he didn’t make a valve model, his reply was “ If I really wanted the sound of a valve phono preamp I can easily engineer pleasing distortions in solid state” ?
Each to their own, I would never part with my Main CJ preamp but valve and solid state have their own benefits and drawbacks, with well designed valve equipment there are minimal components, usually point to point wired so less potential signal degradation and the “weak link” being the valve itself, and with western electronics companies ditching valve production the price of original NOS valves steadily increase in cost and availability , with solid state there’s more components, more joints, PCB’s and their connectors etc in the signal path but once built correctly it sounds the same “for life” and apart from a few components that use “socketed” replaceable op amps no opportunity for simple “fine tuning” …
I like one analogy between audio and food, music via radio, TV, streaming etc is like buying take away, easy and convenient, music via a well setup Hifi system is home cooking, care and time in preparation all adds to the enjoyment of the end result…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back