Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #496 of 2,710
Listening to Robert Palmer and The Church - Starfish on SPKs rig.

EE4A44D6-F9BE-4877-8602-7C25C212F51F.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #497 of 2,710
Live takes with just a pair of studio mic’s have the potential to get closer to the original than somehow “assembling” the same thing by mixing multiple close mic’s or worse mixing tracks that were recorded at different times and places and then trying to recreate the “sound” over some studio monitors, some guys can do a really good job of it but there’s not many of those around, simple test, record 2 singers in close harmony, then record them separately and try and mix them to sound the same ? …
Instruments like bass drum and string bass can create a similar sympathetic harmony which can be lost with close mic’s and post mixing vs a live take with a couple of good studio mic’s, and preserving everything as close as possible to the original is possibly why some good recordings sound better as replay equipment improves as those subtle harmonics and inflections are more faithfully reproduced, there are some wonderful digital recordings that sound transparent, dynamic and “real” with some good post processing but they still don’t capture that truely live sound of a good band of musicians playing “tight” … bass, drums, horns hitting the same notes at exactly the right time …
I have heard various opinions on mic-ing however, I can’t speak on that matter as I’m rather clueless regarding this topic. From what I’ve heard, drums and piano is the most difficult to get right. These instruments plus hi-hat and vocal rendering is usually where my focus is when evaluating recordings. Air, soundstage or imagining is not far behind but less critical. At least to me.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #499 of 2,710
Just wondering... 🤔 Isn't that actually what happens with headphone listening?

I know you mean: when recording. But there's a huge science behind that. Also; what is your purpose? A tiny dampened studio is a must for the intelligibility of spoken word, like audiobooks. Medium size for multitrack recording. A concerthall also has critical damping for the best music experience in most spots. Cathedrals are awesome for acapella music or mass. But the long reverb time is not good for transferring information. It's also the reason that 'reverends' or 'priests' have - - that weird way--- of speaking with---meaningful intervals--- because otherwise... Yowoouldtn'beablteuonderanadworthdewyerseayinggggg. All words smear into eachother. I'm not familiar with the correct technical term in English but it's something like reverb radius. That's is the radius where the amount of reflected sound becomes the same level as the direct sound which makes sounds hard to discriminate.

As far as popping balloons. I remember there is a plugin for foobar (and others) where you can input the sound of a popping balloon (sharp impulse) in certain acoustic environment where you can mimic that exact same environment with headphones. That worked eerily well.

Nov 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #500 of 2,710
I got an offer today from a dealer in Poland on a Miyajima mono cartridge. He didn't have the Spirit in stock and since it's a niche product his importer doesn't restock all too often. But he would keep in contact. The jaded reaction to such a reply would normally be 'sure dude...'. But he actially came back to me on an offer on a lightly used mono cart with 1 year warranty for half price. From a customer who grew tired of chasing monos and couldn't get his second phono working.

It's a 'Zero' :xf_cool:

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #501 of 2,710
Just wondering... 🤔 Isn't that actually what happens with headphone listening?

I know you mean: when recording. But there's a huge science behind that. Also; what is your purpose? A tiny dampened studio is a must for the intelligibility of spoken word, like audiobooks. Medium size for multitrack recording. A concerthall also has critical damping for the best music experience in most spots. Cathedrals are awesome for acapella music or mass. But the long reverb time is not good for transferring information. It's also the reason that 'reverends' or 'priests' have - - that weird way--- of speaking with---meaningful intervals--- because otherwise... Yowoouldtn'beablteuonderanadworthdewyerseayinggggg. All words smear into eachother. I'm not familiar with the correct technical term in English but it's something like reverb radius. That's is the radius where the amount of reflected sound becomes the same level as the direct sound which makes sounds hard to discriminate.

As far as popping balloons. I remember there is a plugin for foobar (and others) where you can input the sound of a popping balloon (sharp impulse) in certain acoustic environment where you can mimic that exact same environment with headphones. That worked eerily well.
In the listening room too …. Striking a balance somewhere in the middle …
Was that a yes or no with the mono cartridge ?

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #502 of 2,710
With 50-70 mono records I really don’t have any urgency to upgrade. Perhaps I haven’t heard well put together mono setup?

Nov 26, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #503 of 2,710
I’m not big on damping. Especially in functioning living room setup.
In the near future, after moving speakers to the opposite wall, my listening spot will be where TV is at right now (see pic). Since it will be so close to rear wall behind me, damping that wall might be the only option available. Planing on diffusion on front wall behind speakers and ceiling tho.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #504 of 2,710
On the Miyajima Zero mono cartridge. It fits withing the budget I set to spend this year, and then I'm done for now. I'll just make my own armboard from ebony or high density pressed bamboo and use what arm I have, probably the Rega 303. Or do another Lenco mod (heavy arm required). I sent an email with my adress asking to send me a PayPal invoice. That should be clear. I didn't dare dream to get that cart!

An intelligent treatment of your room is very advisable. Especially to prevent flutter echo is very important. That is what you get between 2 parallel concrete walls. Very annoying. Same for hard floor and ceiling. So a big fat rug, some panels or heavy curtains behind the speakers an some pictures or paintings on the side walls are a good idea. I put a sheet of foam rubber behind the paintings/posters to get a real decent damping without having it in plain sight. Works really well. Oh, and my CD racks are also large uprigjt diffusers.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #505 of 2,710
Area rug over hardwood floor is always a consideration. And easy fix to reduce floor reflections.
Front wall behind speaker will be a diffusion oriented approach. Mostly a combination of shelves with books, LPs and that sort of stuff. Wall will be covered with wood paneling. Doors and windows will get heavier curtains treatment.
Ceiling will get partial diy diffusers treatment. There’s so much to consider and try out that I do not have a settled strategy of yet. Just some basic ideas that hopefully will enhance the experience.

PS - room is an L shape so not the easiest to work with.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #506 of 2,710
And congrats on new mono cart. Sounds like a great deal.

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #507 of 2,710
I did spurge on David Bowie’s Brilliant Adventure box set. But it’s one of those box sets that I sure will enjoy for years to come.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #508 of 2,710
I did spurge on David Bowie’s Brilliant Adventure box set. But it’s one of those box sets that I sure will enjoy for years to come.
Is that a first with the Bowie box sets ?
Doing fine here with a 50 pack of external sleeves to replace the ageing ones, and a glue stick to fix the seams on a few album sleeves, keeping me busy all afternoon for less tha 20 bucks … 😬

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #509 of 2,710
Is that a first with the Bowie box sets ?
Doing fine here with a 50 pack of external sleeves to replace the ageing ones, and a glue stick to fix the seams on a few album sleeves, keeping me busy all afternoon for less tha 20 bucks … 😬
That’s the latest that just came out.
Rhino sells it direct but at retail price. I found a place that saved me $90.
6D44A4B4-CF8C-4DAF-B487-FBAA7E8E0FCA.jpeg

Yeah, gotta do re-sleeving thingy as well. Also a question to those that have any experience with that. Are there any ways to clean old LP cardboard outer jackets? I was thinking of using Magic Eraser with some tinny amount of cleaning solution.

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #510 of 2,710
All I’ve ever used is a good microfibre cloth to freshen them up a little, some jackets have a nice glossy finish but I’d just put a drop of cleaner on a back corner somewhere, if it runs off fine, if it just soaks in I’d avoid any fluids …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back