Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Nov 2, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #2,116 of 2,710
I can think of a few things that fall in that category that still are being waged. .. šŸ¤”

Shall I fill up my gastank? Should I buy this steak? Or should I put the heating on 21Ā°C?

Just to quote JFK

ā€œWe choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.ā€

BTW, in our language 'we are going to the moon' means unequivocally 'we're all going to die'.
(it just occurred to me that is an old pagan/catholic belief, reincarnation)
Sound like a leaning towards self-destruction. I'm sure that's not what he meant but happened nonetheless. Or, is happening.

I'm listening to another 35 year anniversary album; The Communards. Happy music for unhappy people who thought they had a tough time then. I have both original albums so not something I consider buying again. My copies are both mint and sound awesome. Music like this is the reason I am an 'audiophile'.

Yesterday I wstched day one of Michael Fremers report of the Warsaw audio show in the Sobieski hotel. (thanks to Jan for saving Europe, which no one seems to remember)

Some do remember (not many). Some choose to avoid the subject. And then there are those who are completely clueless or oblivious to history. Perhaps both.

Watched Michaelā€™s report from the show as well. It is amazing to see so many new companies which are trying to make it, and within a year or two they become a background noise of someoneā€™s YouTube video. Itā€™s a tough business.

Finishing my date with ā€˜La Dolce Vitaā€™.

AE85220F-3AED-4416-B417-19F6A5D00854.gif

And I hope that I was able to get the whole picture of this interesting and important restoration project?
Letā€™s step back to session from yesterday.
Listening to this entire soundtrack though me two things.
That perhaps, there was a lot more going on behind the scene of this archival work and tape restoration. I appreciate that.
And second, to not judge a record by its spindle hole. Which is a silly QC issue to have. Luckily, it was much easier to ignore that flaw, while overall pleasurable experience with this album outweighed the pressing neglect by a wide margin (which falls mostly on pressing plant but someone signed of on it from heritage projectā€¦so).
Back to the headphone system session. Yeah, itā€™s not difficult to find flaws in any recording if your system is revealing enough. You donā€™t even have to know what to look for, itā€™s quite obvious when recording or pressing fell short. UHQR, One Step, Analog Production, Impex or whatever. No one is safe and no one is perfect. Perfection in vinyl making business is close to unobtainable if not impossible. Flaws will show its face no matter what and the only question will be;
did they put enough effort to make their record sound great and musically engaging? And, is the product quality on par with price they want for it?
And itā€™s no surprise that on my HP rig, this album was struggling quite a bit. Source quality, condition, mastering choices, and all the other usual suspects.
But that part was actually fun and very telling of the effort put into this project.
Then, comes the sound quality and ability to engage the listener with music.
And this album does that very well.
Aside from repetitive theme song that seems to come on every other song. Just in slightly altered version.
Overall, listening to this album via headphones was fine but I believe, itā€™s the speaker system where this classic movie soundtrack can be fully enjoyed and appreciated.
First LP sounded surprisingly good in my speaker room. It wasnā€™t as clean as the second record of the album but still enjoyable, And it certainly didnā€™t suck as far as sound quality/mastering goes.
However, I believe that the gem of this reissue is the second LP. Sound quality wise, it provides richer variety of music and higher level of engagement. Crispness of the source (tapes) really comes through. Not always tho, (some songs lock clarity) but most of the time. Soundstage is a bit more narrow. As if it was mix/mastered within the width constrains of the movie screen.
What it gives back in return is quite a bit of depth that can only be compared to great mono recordings.
Piano, strings, triangles, hi-hat, drums, harp, mandolin all sounded great to excellent. Natural with a vintage twist is how I would describe it. Female vocals were extremely clear, powerful and full of texture. Excellent job on vocals. Eventho thereā€™s not much of it but, thereā€™s some. Especially on the second LP. Songs that were never released on vinyl. 2nd LP in my opinion, really steals the show. Without it, this album would have been extremely boring and one dimensional. Together with newly remastered songs on second LP, it tells a more convincing story that sucks you into the drama of the film.
Even tho this is not the music I often listen to, I couldnā€™t skip a song and thatā€™s a great success of the composer IMHO. And execution ofcause.
All that wouldnā€™t matter if restoration project was a total fiasco. It wasnā€™t.
I came to this evaluation a little skeptical and concerned. Skeptical of the audio source quality and ability to of the team do this masterpiece justice. Happy to report that they did a fine job.
Certainly not for everyone. Again, I thought that it wasnā€™t something that I would be enthusiastic about but, I love it. And appreciate it.
I donā€™t know how to score a classic movie soundtrack that in itself is very lucky to exist and get a rejuvenation treatment? Itā€™s not an audiophile reissue, even thought it sounds pretty good. Itā€™s more like an old James Bond movie. A classic with a charm.

At the end you will get a piece of cinematographic history that is available, itā€™s playable and it sounds pretty good on top of it. So, I guess thatā€™s a great success.
Yeah, ā€¦.. thatā€™s my overall score.
A success.

Less noticeable off center issue on LP nr2.
A4B9E8CF-48D8-466D-900F-7BE5DB5ABB9B.gif

BTW
Today is the birthday of BN (but not only) engineer and a legend, Rudy Van Gelder.
CCA13AB9-A6D1-46D6-AB17-2777B29B45FB.jpeg

PS I can barely keep my eyes open so forgive me for any nonsensical text you might come across. šŸ„±

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #2,117 of 2,710
I just had a listen to Billie Holiday. On mono (miyajima zero) And I made a boo-boo. I noticed there was something off.
The needle fell in the groove and jumped a few turns. As I'm not very familiar with my arm yet I looked at my antiskating and turned the knob and my thumb touched the arm... Screeeeech! Needle skating over the surface. Big scratch as 4g is not nothing. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So I adjusted the antiskating to max (3, which isn't even enough for 4g). Started again and yes! No jumping and less distortion. How did I miss that? So always check, check and double check.

The scratch is very visible but fortunately hardly audible. Not planning on doing that on the fly again.

Nov 3, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #2,118 of 2,710
Records are not that fragile. We know that. But when crap like that happens, it hurts. Because we know the rules but break them anyway. Lol

Nov 3, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #2,119 of 2,710
It seems they finally processed the return of my 'damaged packaging' Mahler box. Money to be returned within 2 days. Why can they send you an email about every fart but not that you will get your money back instead of just sending you what you payed for? Is it strange of me to expect that? Simple as that is.

I think I should accept it as a sign that it's not for me. I'm listening to it now from my harddrive I've had the flacs for a long time already and I can play any complete symphony without having to get up. I have several complete symphony boxsets in new and old performances.
I can buy a lot of others for the same ā‚¬290.
Would have been nice to have though.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #2,120 of 2,710
It seems they finally processed the return of my 'damaged packaging' Mahler box. Money to be returned within 2 days. Why can they send you an email about every fart but not that you will get your money back instead of just sending you what you payed for? Is it strange of me to expect that? Simple as that is.

I think I should accept it as a sign that it's not for me. I'm listening to it now from my harddrive I've had the flacs for a long time already and I can play any complete symphony without having to get up. I have several complete symphony boxsets in new and old performances.
I can buy a lot of others for the same ā‚¬290.
Would have been nice to have though.
300 euro gets you quite a bit of records.
I changed my view on box sets lately.
Mostly due to a fact that my box sets donā€™t really get that much play time. Unless I decide on letā€™s call itā€¦. ā€œ Amy Winehouse weekendā€, box sets are not touched. Rarely I pull out a box set to play a single record. It just doesnā€™t happen.
There are few exception thought.
Charlie Parker box set (bc itā€™s really good and I donā€™t have many of his records that are worth a listen) for example or smaller 3-4 LP sets.

And retailers are always more efficient in taking your money than customer service, returns or refunds. Lol

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,121 of 2,710
Something to watch in the morning while sipping on a cup of tea or coffee.

Nov 4, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,122 of 2,710
Analog Productionā€™s own catalog in review this week till my other orders arrive over the next few days.
Crossing over to the Chad side with Blues and Gospel. Anything from 33/3 to 45rpm and direct to disc recordings. Records vary in price, from $9,99 on sale records to $30 double 45rpm. Most if not all recorded in Chad Kassem studio inside church he purchased years ago. And most mastered by K. Gray at Cohearent.
Today on the menu: The Campbell Brothers - Beyond The 4 Walls. Double 45rpm, gatefold. Recorded live to 2 track tape.
743ACD34-C7B8-439C-A53E-6CE7505EDF3D.gif

C7FB713D-EC5B-4427-AB1F-5147123E136E.jpeg

Analog Production own APO label overview and thoughts on Monday.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,123 of 2,710
I'd say those are reasonable prices. Looks promising only I haven't come across any of those as far as I know.

Just got 2 new lp's from Amazon. All went without a hitch. Flawless actually.

David Sylvian - Blemish
Goldfrapp - Silver Eye for only ā‚¬14. This one went under my radar. I have a few of her records and she's (they are) always nice, interesting and very enjoyable. Why this one is on sale I can only guess. Maybe the cover is too much 'Magritte'? It is a photograph though. The bad on the PR side is, her face is hidden, no eye contact, uninviting. The artwork is beautiful though.

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,124 of 2,710
Iā€™ll probably get Sylvian locally.
Got 3 LPs on order from Amaz but theyā€™re jerking me around with delivery dates. Before I cancel my order, I wanna make sure that official release date wasnā€™t pushed by label or something.
I wonā€™t review Madonna or something like Prince greatest hits compilation, those are more for my wife. So I wonā€™t bore anyone with that. VMP and BN packages are halfway here, so maybe Iā€™ll do thatā€¦ And I do have couple records waiting to be picked up from my local store. We will see.

APO label is Chadā€™s little baby side project.
Theyā€™re well made and recorded.
Music choice for the label is limited to B names and type of music Chad likes his egg omelet with.

I have a 6-7 sample bundle of APO records varying in price, speed and mastering. Should be enough to get the idea what APO is all about.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #2,125 of 2,710
My daughter asked me to fill up our little wish list for Christmas. I had to be very strategic about it.
Rice paper inner sleeves. Probably too embarrassing.
HumminGuru. Probably too much.
Tool Fear Inoculum limited edition
Stone Temple Pilots - Core deluxe edition
And ā€¦.. Triller. Bc I wonā€™t spend my own $ on it and she probably wonā€™t deal with preorder hustle.
So, I am betting on Tool or STP. Leaning towards Tool bc it has more visual appeal.
Donā€™t leave it to faith. Lol
:wink:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #2,126 of 2,710
Late happy BD to Anthony Kiedis. Been rocking it all week. :L3000:

We arenā€™t the only fans of RHCP

Nov 4, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #2,127 of 2,710
When careers spiral downwards, they all reach out and grab the lowest hanging branch. Even if the poisonous snake is wrapped around it and ready to strike at any moment. Desperation of staying relevant. But they all fail. Because nobody cares what they think or say.

Yup. Blasting it at 2-3 o'clock mark on preampā€™s volume knob is rather a normal occurrence around here. :wink:
How else you gonna get realistic dynamic swings and chest pounding bass? Lol

GZ is getting better but occasionally it still runs into QC issues. However, out of last 3-4 titles I got that were pressed at GZ, I have zero complaints.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #2,128 of 2,710
Bit off topic but I feel Vinyl enthusiasts would be in the best position to offer thoughts/opinions,
As the recent referrals to ā€œlistener fatigueā€ are gaining interest on some forums, has anyone ever experienced it with Vinyl or only digital audio ?
Hard thing to quantify but usually happens when after a certain time the desire to keep listening to more music, given thereā€™s no time constraints, seems to wane and thoughts drift towards ā€œdoing something elseā€ ?
Just a ā€œyesā€, no or maybeā€ would be enough for now unless you feel a need to go into more detail ā€¦.

Nov 5, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,130 of 2,710
No fatigue when listening to vinyl. Except a very few that sound worst than CDs.
I can tolerate or even enjoy well mastered/sourced music on digital but most of it gets fatiguing after a while. It doesnā€™t have to be hours of listening. Sometimes it gets annoying after few songs. And it gets worst with volume at around 90dB+. At lower volume levels or background music, it doesnā€™t bother me that much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back