Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Oct 13, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,921 of 2,710
Yello isn't for the weak kneed... Always awesome sound with some serious bass. And a good deal of humor. It's a shame I don't have more of their albums.

About the movie Gattica. Thats first on my 'resume watching' list on Netflix. I've seen it before and it's a great movie. The message is poignant, that art is subversive because it can stir up emotions that might be 'unwanted'. These days the phrase would be 'not politically correct' or 'not inclusive'.

I wanted to close my paypal account but I saw I will need it for ordering from Latenighttales.co.uk.

I'm typing this while listening to 'Let England Shake' by Polly Jean. Oh boy, did she get her wish... Mini budget. Uh huh! (pun alert)

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #1,922 of 2,710
Yello isn't for the weak kneed... Always awesome sound with some serious bass. And a good deal of humor. It's a shame I don't have more of their albums.

About the movie Gattica. Thats first on my 'resume watching' list on Netflix. I've seen it before and it's a great movie. The message is poignant, that art is subversive because it can stir up emotions that might be 'unwanted'. These days the phrase would be 'not politically correct' or 'not inclusive'.

I wanted to close my paypal account but I saw I will need it for ordering from Latenighttales.co.uk.

I'm typing this while listening to 'Let England Shake' by Polly Jean. Oh boy, did she get her wish... Mini budget. Uh huh! (pun alert)
I think woke moron$ at PayPal quickly reversed their extortion game plan (after thousands closed their account) for those that hold on to what’s left of freedom of speech. I still use it but one more idiotic commie move and I’m OUT. Watched Gattica like a month ago (For the 2nd or 3th time). 👍
Don’t have many Yello records as well. I think they deserve to be heard in all their glory and I feel like those new reissues don’t do them justice. And I hate dealing with Discogs (shady ppl on Discogs. Don’t have anything against actual Discogs) and hunt OGs or whatever sounds best. So I am stocked in a limbo as far as expending my Yello collection.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #1,923 of 2,710
I don't remember if I told you my experience with PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

About the music: it is more polished than her early records. Also it's not straight up garage rock anymore, it's a little more playful. More accessible. Fun to listen to but imo not as soul piercing as 'white chalk' which is my favorite. I don't know if I should give it a 9 or a 10. Subjective anyway but I'm not alone in this.

The sound is great. It has real dynamics, not all loud. It has great space and depth. Details and bass are natural. It's close to old-fashioned good sound.

Pressing is very good. 180g. Quiet, flat, good level. No skipping issues or funny stuff. It plays great. Nothing to distract me from the music.

Artwork and sleeve is nice and simple. Printed inner, clean but no polymer.

M: 9
S: 9
P: 10
A: 8

IMG_20221005_023318.jpg

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,924 of 2,710
I don't remember if I told you my experience with PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

About the music: it is more polished than her early records. Also it's not straight up garage rock anymore, it's a little more playful. More accessible. Fun to listen to but imo not as soul piercing as 'white chalk' which is my favorite. I don't know if I should give it a 9 or a 10. Subjective anyway but I'm not alone in this.

The sound is great. It has real dynamics, not all loud. It has great space and depth. Details and bass are natural. It's close to old-fashioned good sound.

Pressing is very good. 180g. Quiet, flat, good level. No skipping issues or funny stuff. It plays great. Nothing to distract me from the music.

Artwork and sleeve is nice and simple. Printed inner, clean but no polymer.

M: 9
S: 9
P: 10
A: 8

I don’t believe you wrote in depth review about this record. You mentioned it tho.
So you like it? Ok. Too many records to get to at the moment and even more coming my way but I’ll keep it in mind.
I gonna have to go back to grading albums in similar fashion you’re doing. I’m just to lazy, besides I can go on forever trying to break down the sonic characteristics and musical performance. So there’s that. Lol
But basically, almost everything I have listened to lately is an easy recommendation. I’ll try to go into details a little more from now on. At least grade the release quality and sound.
I do have at least a couple infamous MoFi records that are still being reissued (most claim to be all analog….but I still have doubts). Soooo, I probably could give them a grade if that would help anyone in making a decision on whether or not to purchase those supposedly still all analog albums.
We will see. I’m not sure what kind of interest is still out there when it comes to MoFi releases? Like I have mentioned many times in the past, I was never a huge fan of MoFi label. I have couple of their records that sound pretty good and others that are just average. And then there are some that just sound plain weird. Not necessarily bad but EQ and presentations is weird, odd. And a lot of those MoFies have that distinctive “signature” sound that can only be described as a “factory template” that they use to master records. Not sure what it is? EQ settings preferences by engineer or sound signature of that “gain2” rig they use for cutting lacquer? Or perhaps, it is a combination of all of it, who knows…..

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,925 of 2,710
Listening to:

Interesting facts:
It was K. Gray’s little side project in 77, I think. Cut directly to disk by K. Gray ofcause. Allen Sides worked the mixing console and brought his own tube mics and some other gear. Victor Feldman played for Steely Dan Aja as well. Originally he wasn’t interested in this project but when it turned out that he was going to be the featured artist and he can personally pick whoever he wants to play with, he couldn’t resist.
10 years later this record was reissued by Concord (I think) but by different title (Rio Nights …maybe). Ofcause it wasn’t D2D but it was cut from safety tapes done from that session that Victor’s son sold to Concord after his death. They sold a LOT of those Rio Nights (40K or so). Kevin’s name isn’t credited in Concord version for some strange reasons.
It was K. Gray’s first attempt at D2D at age 24. So any K. Gray fans out there might wanna check it out. Price varies between $10-25 used.eBay prices. Not sure what they sell for on Discogs?
DA9E0D4C-58F9-49E5-9807-3DD288BEBB40.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,926 of 2,710
Here’s another pegan group ‘Wardruna’. Been canceling concerts for the past two years but finally made it to NYC so tomorrow I’ll see them in person.
Hopefully they brought some LPs with them….

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,927 of 2,710
Out for order/shipping now:

329DD0E4-034E-43EF-BA85-CB368B667FCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,928 of 2,710
It's no trouble to write up a review. As long as you(all) don't expect me to do deep analysis of every song with references of their inspirations and personal struggles. :) I am not going to sit down and make notes. I never do. I prefer to listen instead of scribble. As a smart professor once said: "ow, please don't make notes. You lose your notes and then where are you? Your mind is in the gutter. You pay attention and listen and make up your own mind". I only make notes for verbatim serial numbers etc.

As I wrote earlier about a certain young person who reviews for, now 'the tracking angle', and I will not read again due to his intellectual dishonesty and bias, music is, or can be, very personal and subjective. De gustibus non disputandum, or: there's no point in arguing about taste. Therefore giving an established musician with a trackrecord of tens of acclaimed albums and 60 year career a 1 out of ten is not a review based on merit but on bias (not to say blind hatred). When sensei is trying to teach young grasshopper wisdom, it is not his place to get angry but to search his heart.

Music
So I will give an honest opinion on the music but not lengthy, you can look it up easily and form your own opinion. Or look it up on Allmusic https://www.allmusic.com/artist/pj-harvey-mn0000000335/discography. I often use this as a quick guide even though some review/* ratings are totally off the mark. But the user reviews are a good second opinion and untampered as far as I can tell (unlike imdb, rotten tomatoes, Amazon etc) and let's hope it stays that way. I do use it often as a quick reference what to buy if I'm not familiar with an artist.

The other ratings are
sound
based on my sample and the digital or original form I have for comparison
pressing
on visual inspection and listening with one or more high end cartridges on a proper TT
sleeve and artwork
based on my knowledge and experience with the printing industry and based on my appreciation of art. FYI I have made a few commercial CD covers, monthly publications, cards etc as a hobby and semi pro.

That's how I roll, or better: turn. I grade from the Heart, as honest as I can without prejudice and if I have prejudices you know I will tell you, I'm not holding back on sharing my worldview.

And I only rate what I bought recently which doesn't mean it's new. But there is so much that is finally issued from the 'dark ages' that is worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,929 of 2,710
If any album you guys want to talk about has political underlining, censorship on here doesn’t like that. Same goes for artist that openly talk about social issues or audio vinyl community members that can freely express themselves elsewhere but NOT HERE. Just wanna make sure we are on the same page guys bc you know…… RUSSIA is the one that censures voices and is evil. We, here in US are the bastion of free speech and freedom. Lmao. Unbelievable. I’m sorry to all of you guys but this is how ridiculous these people are.
Soon Pink Floyd will get censored. Watch.
I hope they kick me to make it perfectly clear what they feel about free expression. And what ppl should or shouldn’t talk about.
Great job. SMH
Adios

Oct 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #1,930 of 2,710
89C00864-1244-4BBD-A9E8-A8723D0DDC19.jpeg

2850E6DA-65D2-49C0-9A62-AB44B5BC180C.jpeg

00006161-4136-4ED0-B9DD-8B0FB2B70759.jpeg

5 out of 5

Ordered. Definitely a collector’s item. But most importantly it should sound fantastic. In Chad we trust. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,931 of 2,710
There is always a way to counter the power who wants you to comply to their narrative. Just say "no, I won't, not today, not tomorrow not ever. I won't.You want to throw me in jail? Go ahead see what it gets you". That was the same man who said 'don't take notes'.

I've seen this in many areas where the holy majority says it is one way where it just did not make sense. And I've stuck to my guns for 40 years, rowing against the stream that kept repeating that digital sounds better than vinyl. Because... you know... SCIENCE.

Science doesn't have any humanity. But humanity has science. A narrative doesn't have compassion. Rules don't have compassion. But real humans do. Even humans that lost their soul can enjoy music, borrowing cerebral empathy. But you can tell by their music, if they produce anything worthwhile. If they sell their soul (if that were possible) truth will out.

Doctor of psychology Mathias Desmet from Belgium wrote a book called "The Psychology of Totalitarianism" and his solution to break the 'groupthink' is: keep saying the truth!

Let's not be governed by fear, which is lack of love, but use music to express love. Or whatever your preference is. Truth is one of them.

How does this relate to music? One of my favorite artists
61q-mcNc8uL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,932 of 2,710
There is always a way to counter the power who wants you to comply to their narrative. Just say "no, I won't, not today, not tomorrow not ever. I won't.You want to throw me in jail? Go ahead see what it gets you". That was the same man who said 'don't take notes'.

I've seen this in many areas where the holy majority says it is one way where it just did not make sense. And I've stuck to my guns for 40 years, rowing against the stream that kept repeating that digital sounds better than vinyl. Because... you know... SCIENCE.

Science doesn't have any humanity. But humanity has science. A narrative doesn't have compassion. Rules don't have compassion. But real humans do. Even humans that lost their soul can enjoy music, borrowing cerebral empathy. But you can tell by their music, if they produce anything worthwhile. If they sell their soul (if that were possible) truth will out.

Doctor of psychology Mathias Desmet from Belgium wrote a book called "The Psychology of Totalitarianism" and his solution to break the 'groupthink' is: keep saying the truth!

Let's not be governed by fear, which is lack of love, but use music to express love. Or whatever your preference is. Truth is one of them.

How does this relate to music? One of my favorite artists
Don’t know that album but I’m getting a lot of LOL on here.
I do understand toxic or offensive to majority scenario where some moderation would be in order. Sure, I get that. But having a conversation censored on the thread where no one seems to get offended and is enjoying a chill conversation that’s 99 percent music related is an absurd. Last time I’ve checked, we are all grown men here and I am pretty sure we do get the concept of civility.
While others insult each other over silly audio related disagreements we sure are pretty chilled in comparison.
It was suggested that it should be music or audio related. OK, can we talk about lyrics, interpret the meaning of song or touch on social or political background of a particular album or artist? Isn’t music an artful form of communicating? I don’t understand these people that feel the need to shut down any form of dialog that they don’t like. Jazz has plenty of political background and social movement elements. I guess we can’t talk about that either. Most popular bands and performers based their entire career on social issues, injustice and frustration with the system, aggression etc. Yet, here, they see it as something “dangerous” or offensive. Should I report on how my cables sound then? Will that qualify as entertainment and educational material??? Sad. And I really mean it. Sad and pathetic.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,933 of 2,710
It's no trouble to write up a review. As long as you(all) don't expect me to do deep analysis of every song with references of their inspirations and personal struggles. :) I am not going to sit down and make notes. I never do. I prefer to listen instead of scribble. As a smart professor once said: "ow, please don't make notes. You lose your notes and then where are you? Your mind is in the gutter. You pay attention and listen and make up your own mind". I only make notes for verbatim serial numbers etc.

As I wrote earlier about a certain young person who reviews for, now 'the tracking angle', and I will not read again due to his intellectual dishonesty and bias, music is, or can be, very personal and subjective. De gustibus non disputandum, or: there's no point in arguing about taste. Therefore giving an established musician with a trackrecord of tens of acclaimed albums and 60 year career a 1 out of ten is not a review based on merit but on bias (not to say blind hatred). When sensei is trying to teach young grasshopper wisdom, it is not his place to get angry but to search his heart.

Music
So I will give an honest opinion on the music but not lengthy, you can look it up easily and form your own opinion. Or look it up on Allmusic https://www.allmusic.com/artist/pj-harvey-mn0000000335/discography. I often use this as a quick guide even though some review/* ratings are totally off the mark. But the user reviews are a good second opinion and untampered as far as I can tell (unlike imdb, rotten tomatoes, Amazon etc) and let's hope it stays that way. I do use it often as a quick reference what to buy if I'm not familiar with an artist.

The other ratings are
sound
based on my sample and the digital or original form I have for comparison
pressing
on visual inspection and listening with one or more high end cartridges on a proper TT
sleeve and artwork
based on my knowledge and experience with the printing industry and based on my appreciation of art. FYI I have made a few commercial CD covers, monthly publications, cards etc as a hobby and semi pro.

That's how I roll, or better: turn. I grade from the Heart, as honest as I can without prejudice and if I have prejudices you know I will tell you, I'm not holding back on sharing my worldview.

And I only rate what I bought recently which doesn't mean it's new. But there is so much that is finally issued from the 'dark ages' that is worth mentioning.
I think that I would like to do those in-depth reviews but I am really afraid that it might become boring.
For one, not everyone shares my taste in music. Second, it’s hard to translate what I am hearing on my system(s). And to be absolutely fair, I think both impressions would need to be included. The headphone system; which is extremely revealing and it is able to paint a very detailed picture from technical point of view. And then, follow up with impressions from my main system. Which would help recreate space, soundstage and emotional perspective of a particular album. All that does take time, and I do go through a bunch of records/artists every week. So, it will be impossible to cover even a fraction of what I consume on weekly bases. And I am talking strictly about new or newer releases. Perhaps I could cherry pick certain titles or ask you guys if you want me to dive deep into something particular that you think might be interesting? I don’t have an answer to that dilemma. I do want to share as much as possible but in order to cover it all, it has to be brief.
I know that giving an album 5 out of 5 score like previous record of
Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson might be enough for someone to feel confident about that purchase but there’s a whole lot more to it then that. I can tell you right now that this record is not perfect, it has issues that needs in depth look to explain it. But overall, it punches way above competition so yeah, it’s a 5 out of 5 but there is more to the story.
Same with MoFi records. I can criticize or complement the job they did. But those records have specific sound and to explain what I think is going on, would take time. So….. perhaps I should stick to just a simple recommendation or point out records to stay clear from (or at least point out where they failed). Lol :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,934 of 2,710
Who are those people who think that life can be compartmentalized? You probably need to have MPD or DID yourself. Or whatever the correct term is for a psyche fractured by inflicted trauma.

Yogi walks into hamburger joint and says: "One with everything please!"

The modern western model of scientism is far removed from the holistic worldview where everything is connected. To get back to the movie Gattica: can you really enjoy a Beethoven symphony when you are locked away in a secret basement unable to share the experience with anyone, afraid you might be discovered?

Or, to be more to the point and actual: I'm sitting here almost shivering (well, it's not comfortably warm), do you think it affects how music sounds? Or the fact that I am not hooking up my 300B tube amp because it uses to much electricity? And that's all because our leaders are lizards who don't give a $#!7 about us. For them it would be preferable if we all croke and shut up forever.

So then we can let the New Orleans Jazzband play on the last procession.

I can understand why a forum website would moderate. Not everyone respects other people's boundaries. But things get dangerous when free speech is impeded by undefined rules that invite a sliding scale and is opening the way for despotism. And citing that there is fear for indictment from 'the powers that be' is just a lame excuse for not having a spine. The rot is everywhere. Integrety of Character is rare.

Laws are for people, the people are not created for laws. In the age of innocence there was only 1 rule. It took one who was not innocent to make man break that 1 rule and corrupt the whole world. And it's still the same prosecutor who keeps slapping us with all the rules we broke putting us in misery for the price we can't pay and keeping us slaves. But we were meant to be free.

Listening to David Sylvian - God's monkey (not an original thought, just aping and corrupting, how appropriate)
Next song: 'Let the happiness in'. Yes, it's still possible.

---

I was bummed because the David Sylvian album 'Sleepwalkers' in my Amazon basket was gone. Another one from the dark decades. I want to check the local store first even though there's not much chance. And fortunately it's back in inventory.
Edit: I'll do a seperated post as this album is a recent re-release!

---

I think it's better to just write a line or 2 about what and why you like an album. Just tell me why you like it. Dropping loads of titles is not interesting. I don't like reading spreadsheets :) Or advertisements. I try to share what I like and which I know others like too. I won't be adding my list of Tuvan throat singing albums. There's not much I can not appreciate as long as it's not auto tuned crap for the masses.

Adding a video is nice but not necessary. I am careful about clicking because they get added directly to my history and if I click something I don't like Google thinks a have a new love interest and showers me with unwanted propositions. On all my devices.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #1,935 of 2,710
OK, here’s what I am going to do after listening carefully to your suggestions.
I will post new releases and records I bought recently with short description and rating. And then, I’ll cherry pick records that really stand out, audiophile releases for out audiophile readers or all time classics. I’ll keep the videos bc there are many who aren’t familiar with the artist or the album. And with a simple click they might find something new and exciting but would never think about listening to it or purchasing a record based just on the cover or word of the mouth.

Amazingly, the same ppl feel that Julian Assange deserves to be jailed for life. And he is the bastion of free speech, press, and information. At the same time, they are being sold prefabricated narrative the cheer with excitement. As long as it is within the parameters of their cultist agenda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back