Vinyl as source

Vinyl?

• Total voters
Apr 19, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #61 of 76
I think those JBLs have a 5" woofer. That is fine for nearfield listening, and maybe for a small room up to 15x15 or 18x18 ft, like the AudioEngine A5+ that I have.
the JBL bass will have a lot to do with the source/preAmp, and Amp. remember, the better the source, the better your bass will be.
But, in GENERAL, a 5" woofer is adequate. BUT, there is a clear difference to my ear b/w a pair of 5" woofers and a pair of 6" woofers, even for near field listening.

Eg. I had a vintage pair of JBL 4410's I think they were. 12" woofers, a 5" mid and a 1" tweeter.
they were big and heavy speakers, and manufactured to lay horizontally, not vertically.
B/c they were designed to be mixing/mastering near field speakers in the Studio.
the point is: buy the biggest woofers you can afford while still retaining quality sound.

all that said, if you want a subwoofer, there are some good little ones out there for 200-300 bucks.
For EDM, you def want a sub with a 5" woofer. eg. AudioEngine. and another Canadian company that looks like the spitting image of AudioEngine and a similar price. They used to sell them on MassDrop too. AudioEngine has a 6+ Active speaker with 6" woofers and built-in DAC, etc, eg.

that's another Rec: go to the MassDrop site and look at the products they have sold in the past. you know MassDrop?
started about 10 years ago in San Francisco: providing products THAT CONSUMERS WANTED AND REQUESTED, not just wha the manufacturer wants to/sell.
At discounted prices. IOWs, some of the work has already been done for your on MassDrop, so look at their subs.
good luck, do the research! :gs1000smile:

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #62 of 76
I think those JBLs have a 5" woofer. That is fine for nearfield listening, and maybe for a small room up to 15x15 or 18x18 ft, like the AudioEngine A5+ that I have.
the JBL bass will have a lot to do with the source/preAmp, and Amp. remember, the better the source, the better your bass will be.
But, in GENERAL, a 5" woofer is adequate. BUT, there is a clear difference to my ear b/w a pair of 5" woofers and a pair of 6" woofers, even for near field listening.

Eg. I had a vintage pair of JBL 4410's I think they were. 12" woofers, a 5" mid and a 1" tweeter.
they were big and heavy speakers, and manufactured to lay horizontally, not vertically.
B/c they were designed to be mixing/mastering near field speakers in the Studio.
the point is: buy the biggest woofers you can afford while still retaining quality sound.

all that said, if you want a subwoofer, there are some good little ones out there for 200-300 bucks.
For EDM, you def want a sub with a 5" woofer. eg. AudioEngine. and another Canadian company that looks like the spitting image of AudioEngine and a similar price. They used to sell them on MassDrop too. AudioEngine has a 6+ Active speaker with 6" woofers and built-in DAC, etc, eg.

that's another Rec: go to the MassDrop site and look at the products they have sold in the past. you know MassDrop?
started about 10 years ago in San Francisco: providing products THAT CONSUMERS WANTED AND REQUESTED, not just wha the manufacturer wants to/sell.
At discounted prices. IOWs, some of the work has already been done for your on MassDrop, so look at their subs.
good luck, do the research! :gs1000smile:
Hmm, I guess I'll get an extern woofer somewhen :beyersmile:

Just found this video and there's no humming at all...
I'm actually impressed by the quality considering it got recorded on a 100$ recorder and is a Youtube file.
I might just go with the Pro-Ject TT anyways and it would definitely fit the Tube Box & HP-amp neatly!

What confuses me is this review, he just craps on the Pro-Ject TT.(?)

May I ask; have you ever had a Pro-Ject TT?

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #63 of 76
I’ve listened to Debut and Debut carbon not owned. Similar to Rega sound to me, tho others may disagree to me, both are typical English “Polite” sound quality. Like the proverbial English/BBC sound: accurate throughout but too and bottom frequencies dissipate faster than other TTs. But what is good about it? It’s just very “listenable“. Most people could listen to that sound all day and be very very satisfied For me, I need more on the low-end in a little bit more on the top end. And you don’t really get that unless you spend more money. But you’re in a great starting place. We all started where you are now, then kept learning and building and growing are audio file gear.

But don’t worry, that’s what is great about having tubes. The tube preamp or AMP will help flush out even more detail and soundstage to give it a more appealing sound overall, I am old but don’t worry, that’s what is great about having tubes. The tube preamp or amp will help flush out even more detail and sound stage to give it a more appealing sound overall, IMO.

But that is why I say that the humming you referred to before is most likely the exception rather than the rule for project turntables. For example, if fall project debut turntables had a hum, then why would they be so popular today? It is easily the most “go to“ turntable in our current availability of turntables.

OK dude, I think you’ve graduated from the head-do website as far as turntables go. I’m going to suggest that you start getting involved in the forearms on Audio.com and Audio Circle.com. Two very different websites that will help give you more perspective on what you were looking for and what you can get for your budget.

Audiogon leans toward very expensive high-end gear, and Audio Circle leans towards more economical gear and DIY stuff. But to be honest, and I don’t want to discourage you, but Headfi is not the best place to get information about turntables. Headphones and headphone amps? Yes.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #64 of 76
297514567_o.jpg

Even my Boom box has a turntable

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #65 of 76
Hmm, I guess I'll get an extern woofer somewhen :beyersmile:

Just found this video and there's no humming at all...
I'm actually impressed by the quality considering it got recorded on a 100$ recorder and is a Youtube file.
I might just go with the Pro-Ject TT anyways and it would definitely fit the Tube Box & HP-amp neatly!

What confuses me is this review, he just ****s on the Pro-Ject TT.(?)

May I ask; have you ever had a Pro-Ject TT?

I agree, the first vid sounds good, the second one not so much. But to be fair the first video does not show the amplifier or the speakers being used and he may be recording straight into a recorder, not like a handheld recorder.

And on the second video: kind of the same thing the turntable is the source then it goes through interconnects preamp’s amps more speaker cables and then the speakers. So what is causing that sound that is not so good? It could be any of those things

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #66 of 76
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #68 of 76
Ha! Nerds are cool!
Sounds like some kids aren’t gettin desert tonight :astonished::blush:

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #70 of 76
@heidimilk

don't get me wrong, its great having you be excited avbout getting into TTs and equipment, not trying to move you off the thread, I just think you will learn a lot more and be better off reading and discussing with more TT users.
I meant to link Audiogon.com, NOT audio .com!
here is the link for "analog" forums, https://forum.audiogon.com/topics/analog

and here is the link for AudioCircle.com analog forums:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=o8kb44u4h81c8r56s3kfgk8og1&board=32.0

and

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=63.0 for Introductions and Help

and check out their other "circles" which = forums, eg. Classifieds. These guys are some of hte most resourceful audiophiles out there.

And please circle back to us and let us know what you find!!!

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #71 of 76
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #72 of 76
@heidimilk

don't get me wrong, its great having you be excited avbout getting into TTs and equipment, not trying to move you off the thread, I just think you will learn a lot more and be better off reading and discussing with more TT users.
I meant to link Audiogon.com, NOT audio .com!
here is the link for "analog" forums, https://forum.audiogon.com/topics/analog

and here is the link for AudioCircle.com analog forums:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=o8kb44u4h81c8r56s3kfgk8og1&board=32.0

and

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=63.0 for Introductions and Help

and check out their other "circles" which = forums, eg. Classifieds. These guys are some of hte most resourceful audiophiles out there.

And please circle back to us and let us know what you find!!!
Thank you for the advice, I will definitely have a look at those forums.
But at the moment I am really busy finishing my A-levels so I won't be able to get in depth with all the different subjects of analog music and I'll be leaving this forum for some time as well.

Today I had a look at a full Rega setup (from cartridge to HP-amp) but I fear it is too expensive.
I guess I'll go with my initial idea of a full ProJect setup + Ortofon cartridge anyways...
After some research I also found out that, just like you said, synergy between parts is extremely important
and I think with an Ortofon blue I can give the ProJect TT the lacking highs!

I'm really looking forward to buying everything and will post pictures when time has come!

Thanks again for all the help and greetings from Switzerland!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #73 of 76
That’s cool, glad u r on your way.
Ya, you are at the point yo just jump into the water. Get that initial set up and love it!

Many of us ding-dong around with gear stuff, but listening to music is the best part!

Aug 3, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #74 of 76
That’s cool, glad u r on your way.
Ya, you are at the point yo just jump into the water. Get that initial set up and love it!

Many of us ding-dong around with gear stuff, but listening to music is the best part!
Hello again after a long time!

Finally bought my set up a few days ago and I have to say I'm impressed...
With good LPs you can really listen to music on another level of depth. :L3000:
It sounds so organic and on very good LPs it sounds just like the bank is playing right next to you.

Thank you again for all the help you gave me finding it,
I think the set up I have now fits me perfect and still leaves room for upgrade.

Greetings from Zürich,
Sven

Aug 3, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #75 of 76
That’s great Sven!

Glad it worked out well for you. Every little upgrade will make small improvements, but they accumulate the make a better whole.
Best
Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back