Vinyl as source

Vinyl?

• Total voters
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

heidimilk

Head-Fier
Hello there!

I was wondering; does listening to music via vinyl enhance your listening experience in any way?
Not only in sound quality, but in the way you set up each piece you want to listen to.
So, does it make you listen to the music more actively and enjoy it more or is it just annoying after some time?
I hope some of you (with experience regarding vinyl) can help me.

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 76
Hello there!

I was wondering; does listening to music via vinyl enhance your listening experience in any way?
Not only in sound quality, but in the way you set up each piece you want to listen to.
So, does it make you listen to the music more actively and enjoy it more or is it just annoying after some time?

Thanks!
Just curious--do you have much experience with vinyl yourself?

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 76
Got it. Well for me, I would describe vinyl as rich, organic, vibrant. When it's really good, shimmering, even. That's not to say that I don't like and respect where digital has come, because when it is good, it is absolutely outstanding. But vinyl is special to me.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 76
I would say yes as well. However, remember that it's like a lot of other audio equipment around here - the variances in quality are extreme. You can't just pick up a $50 cartridge and a $50 phono pre-amp and expect to get similar listening as a DAC with headphones. You need at least a "line contact" stylus or similar and something like a Hagtech Bugle before you start approaching a good quality DAC, and that's not even mentioning the turntable.

I would say that it's worth it, though.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 76

I still listen per album instead of making playlists, but that's because most of the music I listen to are ones that come off strong albums and not one hit wonders or cash-generating, radio-dominating singles, even on a music server. I just don't have to get off my chair to remove a physical copy, put it back in its sleeve or case, pull out another one and load that.

Bonus: I don't have to wipe grime off something that at some point might end up reminding me of breakfast with all its Snap, Crackle, and Pop.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 76
I would say yes as well. However, remember that it's like a lot of other audio equipment around here - the variances in quality are extreme. You can't just pick up a $50 cartridge and a $50 phono pre-amp and expect to get similar listening as a DAC with headphones. You need at least a "line contact" stylus or similar and something like a Hagtech Bugle before you start approaching a good quality DAC, and that's not even mentioning the turntable.

I would say that it's worth it, though.
Do you think about 500-1000$ would be enough for a vinyl setup that has everything in it from turntable to a way connecting headphones to it? (And there should be a way to also connect a Phone to the setup)
Or is this amout of money better spent on a good DAC/amp combo?
Thanks in advance!

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 76
Do you think about 500-1000$ would be enough for a vinyl setup that has everything in it from turntable to a way connecting headphones to it? (And there should be a way to also connect a Phone to the setup)
Or is this amout of money better spent on a good DAC/amp combo?
Thanks in advance!

It's probably better spent toward a DAC and amp. I hate to say that, but it's simple economics. The demand for vinyl, while in a resurgence, is simply nowhere near that of DACs. Then too, you have to count not only the turntable, but the cartridge/stylus - in addition to the phono preamp and headphone amplifier.

You could get the Hagtech Bugle or the Schiit version of a phono preamp. However, even a run-of-the-mill turntable will cost $300-$400, but probably closer to $500, unless you buy used. An MM cartridge/stylus that would compete with most mid-level DACs will probably run $150-$200. Then you'd still have to purchase the regular amplifier. I suppose it could be done for around $700, but that would compete with a $200 Magni/Modi.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 76
I agree with @tomb. The cost of entry for a competent vinyl system is higher than that for digital. Could you get a nice-sounding vinyl rig for $700-$1000?. Yes. Yes, you could. But you can get terrific sound out of a Schiit stack for $200--as pointed out. Personally, were I in your shoes, I would just save a bit for a good, solid entry-level vinyl setup. See if you can find a shop that is selling turntables and cartridges and listen. See what you like. Even if you like it. Then you'll be in a better spot to get something you'll be really satisfied with.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 76
It's probably better spent toward a DAC and amp. I hate to say that, but it's simple economics. The demand for vinyl, while in a resurgence, is simply nowhere near that of DACs. Then too, you have to count not only the turntable, but the cartridge/stylus - in addition to the phono preamp and headphone amplifier.

You could get the Hagtech Bugle or the Schiit version of a phono preamp. However, even a run-of-the-mill turntable will cost $300-$400, but probably closer to $500, unless you buy used. An MM cartridge/stylus that would compete with most mid-level DACs will probably run $150-$200. Then you'd still have to purchase the regular amplifier. I suppose it could be done for around $700, but that would compete with a $200 Magni/Modi.
Thank's for the answer!
I guess I'll go for digital for my first setup and add vinyl later when I have spare money again.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 76

Hey, it's me again!
If I'm going to buy a dac/amp combo for headphones now, what does it have to have that I later can connect a vinyl setup to it (and a pair of speakers)? Or do I need a seperate Amp for speakers?
Thanks and I wish you a nice day!

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 76
If I'm going to buy a dac/amp combo for headphones now, what does it have to have that I later can connect a vinyl setup to it (and a pair of speakers)? Or do I need a seperate Amp for speakers?

A one box unit can be very expensive and not very common.

You'll need a DAC-HPamp-Preamp that has an analogue input, so definitely avoid the AudioGD NFB-11 (and similar older products like the NFB-12).

You then get the TT and a phono preamp, or a TT with a built in phono preamp, and then hook that up to that analogue input (make sure you match the cartridge to the correct kind of phono preamp or if the latter works with both MM and MC cartridges, flip the switch to the correct one).

Then you use a pure power amp (ie no preamp) for the speakers hooked up to the DAC-HPamp-Preamp's variable preamp output.

Alternately if you use a separate DAC and HPamp-Preamp, make sure the headphone amp has at least two analogue inputs, one for the DAC and one for the phono preamp. Meier's systems though has the preamp output on the DAC and no preamp out on the headphone amp, so while that means you don't have to switch on the headphone amp to use the speakers, you won't have a way to use the analogue source with the speakers.

Also if this is for a desktop system and not in a large room you can avoid the clutter of a power amp and speakers and just use powered studio monitors. Might as well try something like the AudioGD NFB-28 that way in case you go this route you can use the balanced preamp outputs for the studio monitors.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 76
A one box unit can be very expensive and not very common.

You'll need a DAC-HPamp-Preamp that has an analogue input, so definitely avoid the AudioGD NFB-11 (and similar older products like the NFB-12).

You then get the TT and a phono preamp, or a TT with a built in phono preamp, and then hook that up to that analogue input (make sure you match the cartridge to the correct kind of phono preamp or if the latter works with both MM and MC cartridges, flip the switch to the correct one).

Then you use a pure power amp (ie no preamp) for the speakers hooked up to the DAC-HPamp-Preamp's variable preamp output.

Alternately if you use a separate DAC and HPamp-Preamp, make sure the headphone amp has at least two analogue inputs, one for the DAC and one for the phono preamp. Meier's systems though has the preamp output on the DAC and no preamp out on the headphone amp, so while that means you don't have to switch on the headphone amp to use the speakers, you won't have a way to use the analogue source with the speakers.

Also if this is for a desktop system and not in a large room you can avoid the clutter of a power amp and speakers and just use powered studio monitors. Might as well try something like the AudioGD NFB-28 that way in case you go this route you can use the balanced preamp outputs for the studio monitors.
Hello, first of all thanks for the response!

So in short I need a phono-preamp to connect the turntable to the HP-amp,
a DAC to connect my phone to the HP-amp
and either a HP-amp and an amp for the Speakers or an amp that can do both?

And what do you mean by cartridge?

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 76
Hello, first of all thanks for the response!

So in short I need a phono-preamp to connect the turntable to the HP-amp,
a DAC to connect my phone to the HP-amp
and either a HP-amp and an amp for the Speakers or an amp that can do both?

Basically, yes.

But for the last one I'd much rather get a separate speaker power amp. Just make sure you have a preamp output to control it. Look through Emotiva's website for the speaker power amps, unless you're open to getting used amps.

And what do you mean by cartridge?

Look at a TT. There's an arm that swings down onto the vinyl. At the end of an arm is a usually plastic but can be wood or metal on high end units that has a needle on it that touches the record. That's the cartridge. That's like what a DAC does in a CD player, with the needle being like the laser. The phono preamp is like the output stage of the CDP.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 76
OP,
This an excellent and affordable time to get into vinyl.

Manufacturers are making easy-to-set-up TTs these days, specifically targeting consumers such as yourself.

But you hav to do the research (whats à cartridge?-lol )

1. Check out the TTs by VPI, MoFi, and maybe others like Pro-ject. They are great entry level (but are advanced- now in their 2nd/3rd generation) but ALSO INCLUDE a built-in phonostage/phono preAmp AND headphone OUT with volume control. For around a $ grand or less.
Also Check out websites: MusicDirect, Soundstage.com, AcousticSounds.com, AudioAdvisor, etc.

2. If u get a regular TT without a built-in phonostage or HP out, you also have good options.
A. Schiit Lyr 3 is a 1 tube amp for about $400 that you can put a DAC module in, AND a phonostage module. AND it already has a HP out.
B. See similar products via search. Again, at the websites above.
C. E.g., see the MicroMega (eg, MyDAC ) products and iFi products, both excellent manufacturers for their budget prices. Similar to Schiit.

You are all set our Swiss friend, just do the research and pull the trigger !
And let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back