Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 1,511
The VC is a really good closed-back headphone, but still. I presonally prefer the Focal Stellia, but I wouldn't mind owning both. The VC has a more colorful signature which is very enjoyable. I would not recommend either one unless you specifically want a closed-back.

Although I get that perspective, as open headphones have several advantages (soundstage, clarity, etc).. I would just also point out that the VCs (somewhat similar to the L3000s) have a more intimate sound and presence, especially in the lower region. If the Stellia is similar to the Utopia, then you'll also get some of that with them.. just mentioning from a general comparison to other headphones standpoint.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #32 of 1,511
Haven't heard the Stellia. I heard the Utopia once at a headphone meet. It was super fast and resolving but was a tad bright for my ears; perhaps at this high level it's just a matter of personal taste.

I've had a few short listens to the Utopia and also found it bright. I preferred the Clear. I don't hear any objectionable brightness with the Stellia, but the VC is warmer.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #33 of 1,511
I'm honestly surprised that the 009 rose to the top of your "don't sell" list with "just" the BHSE, and not a T2 :wink:
When I borrowed the Susvara (driven only by a GS-X mini) I was VERY impressed by that. It should really compete well with the 009 / BHSE, I think. And clearly much better than the Utopia and Stellia. I also found the Stellia slightly bright (not a great match with the GS-X mini), and generally not doing anything over the Utopia for me. And when I compared the Utopia and Clear, I thought it crushed the Clear. Amp pairings can be crucial though - I really liked the Utopia when I first heard it, out of a warm Naim (nasty bit of ground loop buzz though), but it didn't hold up against Stax, especially not in the long run.

I still have an L3000 actually, but man it's just super jarring to go from 009 / T2 to that - like they were invented on different planets. I used to really love them, though.

And I've gotta hear those Verites some day. Lots of good feedback here from people I trust! I'd also like to snag a pair of he60 but my T2 doesn't have a Sennheiser jack :frowning2:

GREAT thread btw. Talk about high signal-to-noise ratio!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 1,511
I'm honestly surprised that the 009 rose to the top of your "don't sell" list with "just" the BHSE, and not a T2 :wink:
When I borrowed the Susvara (driven only by a GS-X mini) I was VERY impressed by that. It should really compete well with the 009 / BHSE, I think. And clearly much better than the Utopia and Stellia. I also found the Stellia slightly bright (not a great match with the GS-X mini), and generally not doing anything over the Utopia for me. And when I compared the Utopia and Clear, I thought it crushed the Clear. Amp pairings can be crucial though - I really liked the Utopia when I first heard it, out of a warm Naim (nasty bit of ground loop buzz though), but it didn't hold up against Stax, especially not in the long run.

Don't have the money for a T2 so stop tempting me lol. The 009 and Susvara are actually very comparable although different. I think the 009's have the best midrange of all of the headphones a very big sound. Susvaras are sweeter with nearly as good of a midrange, with a hell of a better bottom end. I'm a sucker for the midrange and that's why it gets my pick. Between those two and the TC's they're clearly the most technically superior of the whole group.

Agreen about the Utopia as well. I really enjoy it but it definitely gets less head time given the stax and TC/Susvara/L3000 for me.

I still have an L3000 actually, but man it's just super jarring to go from 009 / T2 to that - like they were invented on different planets. I used to really love them, though.

And I've gotta hear those Verites some day. Lots of good feedback here from people I trust! I'd also like to snag a pair of he60 but my T2 doesn't have a Sennheiser jack :frowning2:

GREAT thread btw. Talk about high signal-to-noise ratio!

Yea the L3000 is totally different than mostly everything else. The in your face sound, midrange, crazy vocals and amazing bass really make it hard for me not to love them. The PRAT is insane with them, but they are extremely different. Definitely up there, but I do get why others may not love it that same way.

I would check in with Spritzer, he can make you an HE60/stax adapter more than likely and the service was excellent. HE60s have a really lightweight sound, but the clarity and airiness is refreshing!

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #35 of 1,511
Don't have the money for a T2 so stop tempting me lol. The 009 and Susvara are actually very comparable although different. I think the 009's have the best midrange of all of the headphones a very big sound. Susvaras are sweeter with nearly as good of a midrange, with a hell of a better bottom end. I'm a sucker for the midrange and that's why it gets my pick. Between those two and the TC's they're clearly the most technically superior of the whole group.
Totally agree on the 009 midrange (with a great tube amp) - it absolutely amazes me. For a long time I was thinking "why aren't more people pointing this out?!". And I'm more of a midrange guy, too. Yeah, PRAT on the L3000 can be absolutely insane.

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #37 of 1,511
Aug 17, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #38 of 1,511
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #39 of 1,511
Would love to hear more about 1266 TC vs Susvara battle :)

They're both really so good. The The TC is a bit livelier and has a slightly higher wow factor.. soundstage and imaging wise. The Susvara has the better midrange and is the closest thing to an electrostat I've heard, but with actual bass response. They've very different, but to me both are two of the best out there by far. If I only could choose one it would be very hard but would probably be the Susvara. Overall a bit more complete and definitely more comfortable, but I'd miss the TC for sure. My thoughts on this go back and forth so much lol

After work calms down I'll revisit and do a more thorough comparison update in Sept.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #41 of 1,511
They're both really so good. The The TC is a bit livelier and has a slightly higher wow factor.. soundstage and imaging wise. The Susvara has the better midrange and is the closest thing to an electrostat I've heard, but with actual bass response. They've very different, but to me both are two of the best out there by far. If I only could choose one it would be very hard but would probably be the Susvara. Overall a bit more complete and definitely more comfortable, but I'd miss the TC for sure. My thoughts on this go back and forth so much lol

After work calms down I'll revisit and do a more thorough comparison update in Sept.

Thanks for that. I'm on the verge with either susvara or TC (provided the deals are still valid) and having He1000SE I reckon TC makes a bit more sense :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #42 of 1,511
Great review! Where would you rank the Diana Phi among these 4? The TC is a bit too heavy!

I actually haven't heard them. The TC's are not comfortable at all, no way around it lol. But the sound has really been worth it after getting the fit right. Would like to hear the Diana Phi but can't see myself buying them as I just don't have the need.

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #43 of 1,511
Thanks for that. I'm on the verge with either susvara or TC (provided the deals are still valid) and having He1000SE I reckon TC makes a bit more sense :)
For me, the Susvara delivers the complete package, great sound quality and comfort. I sold the HEKSE and bought the Susvara and I have absolutely no regrets. I find the Susvara much more musical than the HEKSE. Comfort is a personal thing, but I find comfort just as important as sound quality. A friend of mine just sold his HEKSE and bought the Susvara and he has no regrets as well.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #44 of 1,511
For me, the Susvara delivers the complete package, great sound quality and comfort. I sold the HEKSE and bought the Susvara and I have absolutely no regrets. I find the Susvara much more musical than the HEKSE. Comfort is a personal thing, but I find comfort just as important as sound quality. A friend of mine just sold his HEKSE and bought the Susvara and he has no regrets as well.

That's still $6K without counting the amplifier.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #45 of 1,511
That's still $6K without counting the amplifier.
It's not $6K, at least not in the US. The street price for the Susvara in the US is $4500. You don't have to look hard to find it from an authorized dealer for $4500 in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back