Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 1,511
The Raal is an odd headphone. It is flawed, no doubt. But the soundstage and speed of it is amazing. For me these kind of aspects fade in time
and you are left with only part of the image, part of the music IMO. I dropped the 009s because I missed the sub bass and solidity of the music in the mids.
No way I could live with the Raal as the main HP. Novelty maybe...

I've been trying to push back my curiosity on the Raal lol. I really would like to hear them, but I'm pretty content with what I have now.

Also, I found a good deal on a vintage pair of the AKG K1000 and I imagine that it's somewhat similar to the Raal. The soundstage, vocals, imaging and clarity are phenomenal but there is essentially no bottom end. It's good for certain types of genres and songs.

Nice comparison!
What do you think of the Raal SR-1A?

Edit:

Oops, did not read on. Sorry!

No worries! Hope to hear them one day.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 1,511
Also just in general, I've had quite a bit more time to compare and analyze everything. I've also added the Susvara, HD800, Focal Utopia, AKG K1000 and Audio Technica "Leatherhead" ATH-L3000s. I think I've landed on exactly what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to sell off. The only other thing to upgrade is my DAC which I'm not in a hurry to do but will do at some point. I'll post in depth impressions in a future update, but here's how I'd rank them all (from a personal enjoyability standpoint, can read this list as headphones I'd least be willing to sale in descending order).

1. 009
2. ATH-L3000 (TCs and Susvara are overall better technically, but nothing makes me toe tap like the L3000)
2. TC/Susvara
3. HE60/007 MK1
4. Focal Utopia/Verite Closed
5. AKG K1000 (it's absolutely better than every other headphone with clarity, transparency, soundstaging, speed.. but that's it)
6. HD800 (similar to K1000, extremely good with vocals, speed, soundstage, etc. but lacking in other areas)

More than likely I'll sell the HD800, Verite Closed and potentially the Utopia. And one of my backup pairs of HE60s. The HD800 is a huge value for certain genres, but the Susvara's do everything they do and more. The VC is insanely good (2nd best closed headphone I've ever heard) for it's price, but the Susvara, Stats and L3000 do everything they do and more. The Utopia is the hard one, it's pretty unique in it's forward & intimate presentation.. the L3000 is as well, but they both sound different, I'm leaning towards keeping it. One other thing to add, I've been very surprised by the stats.. was subconsciously hoping the new additions would push me to let the stat setup go but they just haven't. And I have a newfound appreciation for the 009s in particular.

Also, last thing.. I've been much happier since I've stopped comparing everything and have pivoted to just spending a night with one or two headphones max, so I'm trying not to fall into that trap going forward. Happy listening. :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #19 of 1,511
Welcome to NYC whenever things relax! I just picked up a T2 recently. fellow NYC'er builds them

Nice! What did you have prior?

I do believe everyone when they say it's the best there is, I just probably can't afford it lol. I'm considering Woo Audio's 3ES because with trading the WES in I'll break even if I find it good enough to off load the BHSE. But I really, really like the BHSE. If it had a little bit more bottom end while maintaining everything else it does it would be perfect.

But the T2 really seems amazing. Jealous!

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #20 of 1,511
Nice! What did you have prior?

I do believe everyone when they say it's the best there is, I just probably can't afford it lol. I'm considering Woo Audio's 3ES because with trading the WES in I'll break even if I find it good enough to off load the BHSE. But I really, really like the BHSE. If it had a little bit more bottom end while maintaining everything else it does it would be perfect.

But the T2 really seems amazing. Jealous!
I still have a mjolnir kgsshv and a kgsshv carbon by another builder.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #21 of 1,511
I still have a mjolnir kgsshv and a kgsshv carbon by another builder.

What do you feel were the major improvements to your carbon??

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #22 of 1,511
Welcome to NYC whenever things relax! I just picked up a T2 recently. fellow NYC'er builds them
And Kerry is the best builder in the game.

Jun 17, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #23 of 1,511
Ever walk into the gym and find yourself doing, like 10 push-ups and having to stop to catch your breath, while the rest of the gym is filled with toned and beautiful people doing things you can't even imagine dreaming about?

Yeah, that's what I feel like reading this thread.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #25 of 1,511
Ever walk into the gym and find yourself doing, like 10 push-ups and having to stop to catch your breath, while the rest of the gym is filled with toned and beautiful people doing things you can't even imagine dreaming about?

Yeah, that's what I feel like reading this thread.

Lol!

My tubes are still breaking in. Wished I had more time to sit and listen. Need some more a/b hah

Take as much time as needed and check back in!

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #26 of 1,511
Just as a general note, the VCs are extremely good. I listened to them all last night (over all of these other cans). The fact that they can absolutely hold their own vs these other expensive and harder to drive headphones is a huge testament to how good it is. Quite a bargain imo.
The more I read about the Verite Closed (VC), the more impressed I become. I have a rule that I won't buy a headphone without first listening for myself. I've posted multiple times in various forums about how important I thought it was for people to listen for themselves before buying. Well, I'm considering breaking that rule for the VC.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 1,511
The more I read about the Verite Closed (VC), the more impressed I become. I have a rule that I won't buy a headphone without first listening for myself. I've posted multiple times in various forums about how important I thought it was for people to listen for themselves before buying. Well, I'm considering breaking that rule for the VC.

I would say it's definitely a safer headphone to buy without listening first. It's really well balanced and does just about everything right. I think almost every headphone gets overhyped lol, but it deserves a lot of the praise it gets.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #28 of 1,511
I would say it's definitely a safer headphone to buy without listening first. It's really well balanced and does just about everything right. I think almost every headphone gets overhyped lol, but it deserves a lot of the praise it gets.
And from what I've seen over the years, this is a really tough crowd. For the Verite closed, there's just so much positive written by so many people and it's so specific that it suspect that I'll feel the same way after I hear them. At this point I plan to order a pair in July whether or not I get to listen to them first unless something changes drastically in the interim (like huge asteroid impact, nuclear war, civil war, I get killed, or wife raises a big stink).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 1,511

The VC is a really good closed-back headphone, but still. I presonally prefer the Focal Stellia, but I wouldn't mind owning both. The VC has a more colorful signature which is very enjoyable. I would not recommend either one unless you specifically want a closed-back.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #30 of 1,511
The VC is a really good closed-back headphone, but still. I presonally prefer the Focal Stellia, but I wouldn't mind owning both. The VC has a more colorful signature which is very enjoyable. I would not recommend either one unless you specifically want a closed-back.
Haven't heard the Stellia. I heard the Utopia once at a headphone meet. It was super fast and resolving but was a tad bright for my ears; perhaps at this high level it's just a matter of personal taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back