Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Apr 16, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #766 of 1,111

Wish I could find a used M24 since it has PCM63 chips in it. I have had my share of PCM1704 DACs (I really like them a lot) but want to hear a good PCM63 implementation.

If you can hunt down a Theta DSPro Gen Va then by all means I suggest you go for it,
It utilizes 4 of the PCM63 chips. It will grab your utmost attention when you hear it.
It's like listening to vinyl, very analog sounding.

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #767 of 1,111
I've heard Muziqboy's rig and I think it would be right up your alley Ryan. It pulls the same details as the Yggy but adds a hint of musicality on top of it. I do find the yggy can price a deeper and wider stage but it almost feels unnatural on a way.

Is the pcm63 chip what the dac pro gen 5 uses?
If you can hunt down a Theta DSPro Gen Va then by all means I suggest you go for it,
It utilizes 4 of the PCM63 chips. It will grab your utmost attention when you hear it.
It's like listening to vinyl, very analog sounding.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #768 of 1,111
The Gen V uses 4 Burr-Brown 20-bit PCM63 DAC chips.
The 'A' upgrade which turns it into a Gen Va, improves the coherence, the seamlessness, the 'wholeness' if you will and makes the sound even more sweeter and more analogue sounding.

In Thetas's own words:
"The analog section of the Generation V/A contains 52 transistors. Through a laborious process, six matched octal sets (totaling 48 transistors) plus the remaining four uncritical transistors are now installed in every analog board. This matching process includes testing tens of thousands of devices and then hand selecting the ones that meet stringent criteria. The result of this work is a sweeter, more detailed presentation and less listener fatigue."

Theta incorporated a new algorithm in the 'A' upgrade which added dither to the program running in the Gen V. Better low level resolution and better decay is the result.
Bass slam with attack and crispness but devoid of aggression is a signature of Gen V/A compared to other dac's.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #769 of 1,111
Those gen Vs don't pop up very often. Last couple I saw went for $1500. I would love to hear one but I got the nm24 with some tasty upgrades for 800 shipped . It was a deal I just couldn't pass up. I wish I could afford my ears. The microdynamics , detail and tone are awesome . The macrodynamics are a little soft. Rolling tubes has been fun but not as satisfying as with the lyr amp. The effects are more subtle. It seems to prefer thicker sounding tubes. Gives the music a nice physicality. All in all it is hard to find fault with the tube section esp for the money.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #771 of 1,111
I would not worry too much about the mileage on these DACS. They are built like tanks and will give even the best of the modern DACS a run for the money.   I have their lowest of the line DAC, the DSPro Prime and that has been plugged in 24/7 ever since I got it which was back in '98 and never had a hiccup. Worked flawlessly even to this day. I got the Gen Va in 08/2015 and that also have been plugged in 24/7 since then.
The only time I unplugged it is when I take it to local head-fi meets.

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #775 of 1,111
Just picked up a Theta Progeny off eBay, along with a Gustard U12 converter!  Since my only DAC has been a Modi 2, I'm hoping this is a big step forward.  I am slightly concerned about the Progeny being ~22 years old at this point, but the seller said it was in good operating and cosmetic condition, so I remain hopeful.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #777 of 1,111
[COLOR=141414]Grabbed an Adcom GDA-700 half on accident. Offered what I thought was a fair price but was a chunk below asking and they accepted.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]So I guess I get to hear a PCM1702![/COLOR]

[COLOR=141414]I don't even have it and I'm trying to track down mods worth doing to it.[/COLOR]

Check with rb2013, he is a moder extrondinaire with all things digital!

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #778 of 1,111
  Just picked up a Theta Progeny off eBay, along with a Gustard U12 converter!  Since my only DAC has been a Modi 2, I'm hoping this is a big step forward.  I am slightly concerned about the Progeny being ~22 years old at this point, but the seller said it was in good operating and cosmetic condition, so I remain hopeful.

Very nice! I grabbed my Progeny in May from a pawn shop in Florida. It looked like it was  boxed up and someone forgot about it completely cause there isn't a single nick or scratch on the vinyl wrapping or the aluminum faceplate.

Is yours a version A? There should be a sticker on the back near the inputs if it is.

And yes.. It should sound much better than the Modi cause I preferred mine over the Bifrost Uber and also the MB I upgraded to.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #779 of 1,111

Very nice! I grabbed my Progeny in May from a pawn shop in Florida. It looked like it was  boxed up and someone forgot about it completely cause there isn't a single nick or scratch on the vinyl wrapping or the aluminum faceplate.

Is yours a version A? There should be a sticker on the back near the inputs if it is.

And yes.. It should sound much better than the Modi cause I preferred mine over the Bifrost Uber and also the MB I upgraded to.

It doesn't appear to be Version A (no sticker on back).  Apologies if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but do you know what the Version A upgrade consisted of?  Wondering if the difference is big between A and non-A.

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #780 of 1,111
^^ top of this page. muziqboy hit that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back