Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #122 of 1,111
  The Master 7 is a really good DAC.  I bought it twice.  Good midrange.  Bass is not so good.  Not impactful - some say that's a PCM1704 thing but now hearing the La Scala I say not.  

The reason I bought it two times is because it does a lot of things right and sounds really good in the midrange and the highs.  The hits are smooth non offensive and non grainy.   It's just was the bass that had me sell it both times.

Haven't heard the Audio-gd range of DACs but I have heard that comment about Audio-gd's implementation of the PCM1704 - that the expression of bass through their design is lacking.  That you heard differently from the La Scala is possible evidence of that. I use the Lite Audio DAC-83 because I prefer the design of their output stage (which I think is superior and less fussy). No lack of properly defined and deep bass here. It sounds majestic, especially driven by the Lite LT-1 transport over I2S.

I also recall older designs using the 1704 and don't remember the bass being anything other than fantastic and, in fact, one of its notable characteristics. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #123 of 1,111

Haven't heard the Audio-gd range of DACs but I have heard that comment about Audio-gd's implementation of the PCM1704 - that the expression of bass through their design is lacking.  That you heard differently from the La Scala is possible evidence of that. I use the Lite Audio DAC-83 because I prefer the design of their output stage (which I think is superior and less fussy). No lack of properly defined and deep bass here. It sounds majestic, especially driven by the Lite LT-1 transport over I2S.

I also recall older designs using the 1704 and don't remember the bass being anything other than fantastic and, in fact, one of its notable characteristics. 

That Lite DAC-83 is a very sweet unit - and a great value. 

Well a few of us who have modded the Lite DAC-60s are finding the bass extraordinary.  So I guess it is all about implementation.

Cheers.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #124 of 1,111
A quick update, the new caps and transformer on the Monarchy are burning in quite nicely. Bass a touch deeper, the highs definitely smoother and less aggressive. allowing me to expand the genre on my HD800 from primarily classical and jazz to include rock and the limited amount of rap I listen too. This is also opening up the performance gap between the Monarchy and the Uber Bifrost quite a bit. If the Folks at Schiit don't launch the R2R version soon its likely to hit the F/S Thread. 

One little problem, the optical output from my MacBook isn't locking, think the optical cable may have been pinched by my Wife when she was working in my office. Couple questions, it was a glass cable, I am assuming they are fragile. Any thoughts on this being the cause (he asks hopefully)?

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #125 of 1,111

One little problem, the optical output from my MacBook isn't locking, think the optical cable may have been pinched by my Wife when she was working in my office. Couple questions, it was a glass cable, I am assuming they are fragile. Any thoughts on this being the cause (he asks hopefully)?

Shine a flashlight directly on one end of the cable,if the cable is not broken, light can be seen on the other end.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #126 of 1,111
Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a used MHDT Labs Paradisea 3 (R2R DAC with tube buffered output). Liked it enough I've picked up another for.my office rig. Definitely prefer it to my Bifrost Uber.

-Eric

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #127 of 1,111

That Lite DAC-83 is a very sweet unit - and a great value. 

Well a few of us who have modded the Lite DAC-60s are finding the bass extraordinary.  So I guess it is all about implementation.

Cheers.

It is surprisingly good, the DAC-83. I thought it would be competent, when I bought it. But to our ears (my wife and I), it improves substantially on the Marantz CD7 we used to own (one of the first in the UK).

The output stage uses the same devices that Audio Innovations used in their solid state integrated amp (the Alto) - itself an update on the original Sugden A21 class A amplifier. The Alto received some great reviews back in the day and hearing this, we understand why. A great class A output/amplifier stage on the end of a fine DAC design with good power supply arrangements. A lot to like.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #128 of 1,111
Anyone have any experience with the NAD M51?

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #129 of 1,111

No they refer to the same chip same for what Digikey labels PCM1704U/2K

See my post awhile back on how to identify the top K rated chips - they are not marked with a 'K'!.  I also put up the THD and noise stats for each version from TI's (they bought Burr Brown) spec sheet.

So is Aqua using fake "K" chips in the La Scala?

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #130 of 1,111
Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a used MHDT Labs Paradisea 3 (R2R DAC with tube buffered output). Liked it enough I've picked up another for.my office rig. Definitely prefer it to my Bifrost Uber.

-Eric

That mirrors my findings with the Monarchy DAC, probably going to sell the Bifrost and pick up a Lite 60, RB2013 has me highly intrigued.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #131 of 1,111
Aug 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #133 of 1,111
I won't be surprise if someone at headfi starts a new thread: Sigma Delta DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread

Are you saying the sigma delta folks have thread envy, lol:beers:!

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #134 of 1,111

So is Aqua using fake "K" chips in the La Scala?

Well it look like the 'K' is printed. They could have been from an old batch.

Just going back to that post here is what TI(they bought Burr Brown) said about the K stamping:
Quote:
I wrote to Texas Instrument regarding the dot markings.

Here is their reply to my query:

"In response to your query on PCM1704 kindly note that due to marking machine issue, we are marking grade rank by white dot on package.

J-grade is one white dot
K-grade is two white dot.

Hence two white dot pcm1704 parts are from TI and is really K-grade PCM1704." 

So here would be the difference in NOS BB PCM1704 K and possible fake.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #135 of 1,111
Hi all,

-Eric

MHDT DAC have had good reviews - I almost bought the Paradisea - but i was looking for true tube output using the 6922 (or equiv like my fav HG 6n23p).  Mainly because I've had such good success with this tube in my large intregrated amps and Lyr HP amp.  The Uber is an excellent DAC for a S-D design with a warmer character -  but still has that flatness to the presentation.  At least that's what I heard when comparing it.

It is surprisingly good, the DAC-83. I thought it would be competent, when I bought it. But to our ears (my wife and I), it improves substantially on the Marantz CD7 we used to own (one of the first in the UK).

The output stage uses the same devices that Audio Innovations used in their solid state integrated amp (the Alto) - itself an update on the original Sugden A21 class A amplifier. The Alto received some great reviews back in the day and hearing this, we understand why. A great class A output/amplifier stage on the end of a fine DAC design with good power supply arrangements. A lot to like.

Outstanding!  A well done discrete SS class A output stage would be my next choice after a true tube output.  Funny I have had a few DACs that had both SS and tube (Xindax DAC5, Eastern Elec Mini-Max Plus) and with decent tubes the tube stage always won.  The Mini Max Plus even had socketed opamps - so you could roll them like tubes.  The best I heard where the expensive Burson discrete drop ins.  But the tubes still own.

Anyone have any experience with the NAD M51?

Nicely built unit - never heard one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back