Vintage/Current R2R DAC Owners Discussion, Insight, and Review Thread
Aug 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #92 of 1,111
Here is a sweet little unit I though of trying - TDA541A and 6922 tubed output.  Looks very well made for $579.

Muji DAC Digtal Analog Converter TDA 1541+SAA7220P/B PCC88 tube

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Muji-DAC-Digtal-Analog-Converter-TDA-1541-SAA7220P-B-PCC88-tube-/261709677962?hash=item3cef1cc58a

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #93 of 1,111

How does this La Scala fair against the Msb Analog and Schiit Yggdrasil in your opinion?

Haven't heard any of the MSBs yet.  I just can't get with their pricing model.  

For the spacific application I'm looking for (Female Vocals) the La Scala compared to the Yggdrasil has a more tonal dense / rich sound to it - which I like.  The Yggdrasil sounds digital in the vocal area.  

I remember the DP-777 non SE sounding like the La Scala.  I would like to have them side by side to be sure.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #95 of 1,111
The Master 7 is a really good DAC.  I bought it twice.  Good midrange.  Bass is not so good.  Not impactful - some say that's a PCM1704 thing but now hearing the La Scala I say not.  

The reason I bought it two times is because it does a lot of things right and sounds really good in the midrange and the highs.  The hits are smooth non offensive and non grainy.   It's just was the bass that had me sell it both times.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #96 of 1,111

For the spacific application I'm looking for (Female Vocals) the La Scala compared to the Yggdrasil has a more tonal dense / rich sound to it - which I like.  The Yggdrasil sounds digital in the vocal area.  

Interesting  - How about Audi-gd Master 7.1?

To note if you want to extract the ultimate performance out of Audio-gd Master 7, it's quite a big budget:

USB DDC>HDMI I2S with top quality HDMI Cable
Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp/Headamp via ACSS Interconnect
Possibly Double Helix Labs ACSS Interconnect (Spore or Chaperone)

With this setup, rest assured you would get really really good female vocals out it for sure.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #97 of 1,111
  The Master 7 is a really good DAC.  I bought it twice.  Good midrange.  Bass is not so good.  Not impactful - some say that's a PCM1704 thing but now hearing the La Scala I say not.  

The reason I bought it two times is because it does a lot of things right and sounds really good in the midrange and the highs.  The hits are smooth non offensive and non grainy.   It's just was the bass that had me sell it both times.

I guess it's all about implementation - the La Scala is tube output - transformer coupled.  Very nice design.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #98 of 1,111
The new Amanero USB interface should make the Master 7 a better DAC as well.  IIRC that is the same USB interface as in the John Kenny Ciunas DAC https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/ciunas-dac  which sounds damn good.  

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #99 of 1,111
  The new Amanero USB interface should make the Master 7 a better DAC as well.  IIRC that is the same USB interface as in the John Kenny Ciunas DAC https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/ciunas-dac  which sounds damn good.  

Yes trying different USB DDC bridges is worth while.  I think you've been reading my Gustard U12 thread.  There are some awesome new devices coming on the market at dirt cheap prices.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #100 of 1,111
Using a Regen into my Geek Out Special Edition, early in my listening, but I'd say it also brings an analog ease to the presentation.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #102 of 1,111
Using a Regen into my Geek Out Special Edition, early in my listening, but I'd say it also brings an analog ease to the presentation.
Heard some good things about the Regen.

Been trying to read about it, but can't say I've figured out what it does..."cleans up the signal", "makes the receiver of the DAC not work so hard", stuff like that (it's a bit like reading this thread, as a matter of fact). Does seem to improve the sound, though...they're going wild over it on Computer Audiophile.

Have 2 DACs that are vintage or R2R...not using either of them at the moment, but making me rethink it and maybe give it a try. One, as I mentioned, is the Mojo Mystique, which I got as a prototype, no case, think I should maybe send it back, just have it finished, as it is finicky (but was great sounding when I did use it). The other is a Meitner Bidat, which I have had out of my system for ages, since the associated transport died, but I understand someone who was connected to Meitner is upgrading them, may be worth looking into. Ah, more to spend money on...I was getting nervous, no orders in the past couple of weeks :D

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 1,111
Been trying to read about it, but can't say I've figured out what it does..."cleans up the signal", "makes the receiver of the DAC not work so hard", stuff like that (it's a bit like reading this thread, as a matter of fact). Does seem to improve the sound, though...they're going wild over it on Computer Audiophile.

Have 2 DACs that are vintage or R2R...not using either of them at the moment, but making me rethink it and maybe give it a try. One, as I mentioned, is the Mojo Mystique, which I got as a prototype, no case, think I should maybe send it back, just have it finished, as it is finicky (but was great sounding when I did use it). The other is a Meitner Bidat, which I have had out of my system for ages, since the associated transport died, but I understand someone who was connected to Meitner is upgrading them, may be worth looking into. Ah, more to spend money on...I was getting nervous, no orders in the past couple of weeks
biggrin.gif

Well this is what I posted on my Gustard U12 thread about it:
Looking at the REGEN USB - it reminds of the Schiit Wryd and the iFi USBPower device.  Pretty simple on the surface - here are some details:
he UpTone Audio USB REGEN just might be the next big leap for computer audio.
[The reviews from many of the over 700 people worldwide now using a REGEN are filled with excitement over how musically effective the device is.  Drop in on some thoughtful ones here at ComputerAudiophile.com: USB REGEN Listening Impressions.]
The USB REGEN takes the digital audio stream from your computer or other music streaming device, and generates a completely new USB data signal to feed to your DAC.  It accomplishes this by combining a carefully chosen USB hub chip with an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock.  Importantly, it does so with ideal impedance matching—right at the input of your DAC.
If you are familiar with the variations in sound quality that come from different computer configurations, USB cables, and power supplies (no, "bits are bits" really does not apply when pursuing the audio summit), then you will immediately recognize the often dramatic effect that the REGEN can have on the the connection you feel with the music.
Although the REGEN does not eliminate all sound quality differences between USB cables in a high-end system, it significantly reduces those differences. John Swenson has written about how the PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrity and impedance mis-matching.  Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this—and the REGEN is the cure.

The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

From all the time we have spent listening to the REGEN in our systems we can say that it is exceeding our expectations. Often it sounds like you are listening to a different DAC! Of course the benefit will vary with each computer/DAC system, but we hear positive differences even with very modest systems. The improvement is different than with a power supply or computer optimizations—but perhaps larger.

Regardless of whether you are feeding your USB DAC from a from a stock computer, a fully-optimized music server, or a streamer/renderer (Auralic Aries, Bryston, Moon Audio, SOtM sMS-100, etc.), the REGEN has the potential to carry your music system to a new level.
The USB REGEN kit includes:
a) the REGEN itself in an all black with silver-printed aluminum case (57 x 46 x 18mm); Input is USB 'B' jack, Output is USB 'A' jack, DC jack is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.
b) the best spec'ed and sounding 22 watt/7.5V/2.93A (overkill) tabletop (93 x 54 x 36mm) world-voltage-compatible SMPS we could find (use a nice linear if you want—in the range of 6-9V/1.5A is fine; or even 12V if you are certain that your DAC is not deriving much power from USB bus); If you own an UpTone JS-2 LPS, then you can consider using one of its outputs—set to 7V—to power the REGEN very nicely!
c) an 18-inch long Volex 18awg power cord to go from the SMPS to the wall (get fancy if you like, or if you are overseas use a power cord with locally appropriate plug);
d) a male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug (for hanging the REGEN right from the back of your DAC; maybe stick a block of something under it if you feel it needs support);
e) a 6-inch male/male USB A>B cable if things are too tight around your DAC's USB input or you just don't want to use the solid adapter.
f) a 4-year, transferrable warranty.

So for the claim at reclocking the data stream from the PC - it does not appear to use any special clocks - seems like a straight forward XO clock.  So that is unlikely what is causing the sound improvement.

'Cleaning' the power source should not apply to the DDC's were talking about - like the U12 (well possibly as the ground from the PC is in the circuit for poweron), MX-U8, Tanly.  As these DDC bridges have their own AC power source.

But the claim on exact impedance matching - does look very interesting - and I believe the reason one USB cable sounds different then another (some better).  Impedance matching it critical to good sound.  From the technical papers I have read - even the slightest impedance mismatch - creates signal echoing or ringing in the connection.  These wreak havoc on the input processing.  SPDIF coax is very attuned to this - I noted a nice improvement in the performance of one of DAC's (My LIte DAC60) by replacing the SPDIF input jack from the CRC gold plated brass unit with a pure tellurium-copper unit designed for exact 75 ohm impedance. The EICHMANN ETI Phonopod HC-XTC
http://www.vhaudio.com/phonopod.html.  My APL DAC uses the very expensive WBT Nexgen connector with even more exact 75 ohm impedance and a unique design.

So this impedance matching may be the key.  It's especially interesting that you experience such a large improvement in the SQ, even with the Tanly, which goes to such great lengths to isolate the USB signal (FPGA isolation buffer).

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #104 of 1,111

Have 2 DACs that are vintage or R2R...not using either of them at the moment, but making me rethink it and maybe give it a try. One, as I mentioned, is the Mojo Mystique, which I got as a prototype, no case, think I should maybe send it back, just have it finished, as it is finicky (but was great sounding when I did use it). The other is a Meitner Bidat, which I have had out of my system for ages, since the associated transport died, but I understand someone who was connected to Meitner is upgrading them, may be worth looking into. Ah, more to spend money on...I was getting nervous, no orders in the past couple of weeks :D

Mrs. DrJazz, will begin to wonder why there are no new packages being delivered....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #105 of 1,111

Mrs. DrJazz, will begin to wonder why there are no new packages being delivered....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hahahaha, I think "wonder" is not the quite word for her reaction to no new packages...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back