Vincent KHV 111 ? Any infos ? (Jan Meier ?)
Aug 22, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 30
No time to write a review yet, but for sure it's a tuby amp!

tongue.gif

To begin with a few pictures:

23small.jpg

24small.jpg

26small.jpg

27small.jpg

28small.jpg

Aug 22, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Bob A (SD)
The Vincent line is produced by Shengya-Audio in China.

From the picture post by Jan, the amp is marked "Made in Germany", not China?!

Aug 22, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #19 of 30
Apparently by the same company that produces the ProJect HeadBox - I just hope they did a better job with the Vincent...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #21 of 30
00940: I haven't read any, yet - but yes, that makes it even worse. I just wonder why they use such low quality parts in relevant places and mess it up that way - the designs themselves seem quite promising. Strange...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 24, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 30
Dear Headfellows,

A Chinese amp, made in Germany, and a PCB produced in Slovakia? Seems a little bit strange indeed!

According to the German distributor the KHV has originally been designed by the THORENS Company. When this company went broke, the production of the amp was continued under the name of Vincent. (KHV is short for Kopfhörerverstärker = headphone amplifier).

Vincent is a Chinese company but the world-distribution is done by a German company that also owns the rights on the name THORENS. (Thorens was recently resurrected). I guess (but it's just a guess) that it's this company in Germany that produces the amp.

Anyway, let's start with my impressions.

Upon receipt of the amp, first impressions were a little bit mixed. The amp has substantial weight and looks very decently build. However, separate volume knobs for left and right channel seems a little bit odd for a headphone amplifier and no user manual was added to the box. Of course, there isn't much to explain, but nonetheless.

Technical information on the internet is also rather sparse:

Frequency range: 10Hz - 40 kHz
S/N Ratio > 90 dB
Weight 4 kg.

Moreover, this information wasn't found to be completely correct. After a decent break-in I did some additional measurements:

Frequency Range (-3dB): 6Hz - 60 kHz

Weight 3.4 kg.

THD (4 Vpp, 400 Hz) 1.5%
THD (4 Vpp, 1 kHz) 0.7%
THD (8 Vpp, 1 kHz) 0.9%

Maximum Output Voltage (peak value): 6.4 Volts

Maximum Gain: 9dB

All measurements at a load of 110 Ohm

Nothing special. Harmonic Distortion is rather high but that's usual for a tube amp. Output voltage is a little bit low and gain factor is moderate. With a 2V source (most CD-players) the maximum output voltage is barely reached. Fortunately both volume controls are non-linear. To achieve a proper balance of both channels is not a big problem, even with sensitive headphones.

The amp looks simple but nice, especially with power on. Not only do we see the glowing tube (there's only one inside the amp!) but a red LED behind the tube gives appearance a little extra. A bright blue LED on the front indicates that the amp is working.

For the inside of the amp take a look at the pictures. Components are neatly arranged but their quality isn't very special. Nice toroidal transformer though, which seems to be custom made. This transformer is made for 220V. Different voltage-versions are not available right now (but can be made if a larger series of amps is ordered).

I have to admit that I have no experience with real tube amplifiers. Therefore be aware that my impressions might not carry much weight. (Sure, I know the RKV, but by its design this amp has very low distortion factors and sound is (almost) independent on the tubes that are used. As such it's not very tuby!)

Test Equipment:

SONY SCD-XB770 (modified)
Sennheiser HD600
Beyerdynamic DT931 (modified)
AKG K1000
Meier-Audio interconnects
CORDA PREHEAD (for comparison).

One thing is immediately made clear at first listening. This is a very nonagressive amp. Sound has a somewhat syrup-like quality that removes any edginess. Actually, the K1000, which itself has a slight metallic touch, sounds very nicely out of this amp. Warm and full-bodied (although no very high sound levels can be reached).
Listening to the DT931 and HD600 however, showed that the amp lacks some speed and that the bass lacks some definition. It's not bad, but not very good either (compared to the PREHEAD that is!).

The amp makes for a relaxed listening, but some of the micro details are lost in the process. While listening I find myself continuously looking for more definition (cymbals, percussion, guitars). However, for what it's worth, be aware that I've always been a solid-state man and that, from an engineering point, I have a slight aversion against tubes (that's why I'll never build them myself).

As I have so little experience with tubes I feel that I'm not competent enough to make a true judgement on this amp. If any of you find he might be the right person to do so, just let me know and I'll be happy to send you the amp. Be aware that the amp is a 220V-version and that you have to pay for return-shipping.

Cheers,

Jan

Aug 24, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 30
Jan -

It's a bit surprising that a paper/phenolic PC board was used and then there's that red LED, adding a touch more "glow" to the tube is a bit... well, let's just say neither inspires confidence.
eek.gif

Since there's only one ECC81 in there, the voltage gain stage (presumably) must be single-ended Class A for each channel. Could you check the anode supply voltage and see if it's between 90 and 100V? Also, what's the current gain stage like? Also single-ended? Bipolar or FET?

edit: Pins 1 and 6 are the anodes for each section.

Aug 24, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 30
"It's a bit surprising that a paper/phenolic PC board was used

It sounds the same!

> that red LED, adding a touch more "glow" to the tube is a bit... well, let's just say neither inspires confidence.

Why not? It's an optical gimmick that looks nice. Looks do matter. You would be surprised if you would know how many people asked me to change the color of the power-indication on my own amps!

> Since there's only one ECC81 in there, the voltage gain stage (presumably) must be single-ended Class A for each channel. Could you check the anode supply voltage and see if it's between 90 and 100V? Also, what's the current gain stage like? Also single-ended? Bipolar or FET?

To be honest, I don't have any experience with the technical aspects of tube amps and won't debug the circuitry of this amp. I leave that up to you guys :)

Cheers,

Jan

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #26 of 30
Bump.

I'm planning to buy this amp, becouse i could get it quite cheap.

So any more impressions about this amp? I own HD595 and DT880 (80s version). How would it run these cans?

edit/ also, what music source should i use? is ipod enough for KHV-111?

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #27 of 30
I bought the Vincent KHV-111 just 4 days ago. I replaced the original tube with a BRIMAR CV 4068 (which war recommended by several people). The BRIMAR tube should give much more detail. I haven't heard the original tube.

I use Grado GS1000, which gives a nice and pleasent sound with the Vincent. Nice midrange, and a not to harsh treble. It's like you don't have to adjust the volume all the time, because of higher frequencys that might sound a little "hard". I used to do this with my Sugden Headmaster, even though it was really good. The amount of detail is not less than with my Sugden amp, but the sound is overall more pleasent (more tube-like ?)

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #29 of 30
You can now buy this amp under the Australian Gennari valve amplifier brand .... for a measly 250 Aussie dollars. I just bought one of his valve amps and thought what the hey.

Guys - for 250 bucks this is better than my AUS$500 Musical Fidelity V3. I am now listening with K701 and burning in as I go. X can V3 has a more forward balance with more of a vacuum persence. This Gennari is the most laid back amp I have ever heard. Perfect for the K701

I cannot really detect a vacuum presence and thinking this is a SS amp that is very smooth. The X can V3 is grained in comparison. The Gennari approaches the smoothnes of the Lemann Black cube linear but lacking that minute detail and dynamics, also not quite as extended and pristine in the treble. Thats AUS$1600 VS $250, go figure?

It is comparable to the black cube in all my other amps because I feel that all the tube is doing is smoothing over the details - without actually adding any valve bloom or sweetness. This contributes to the smoothness - as opposed to the V3 that adds the valve bloom and a touch of sweetness, but at the expense of smoothness and detail - less detailed than the Gennari.

That is this amp is perfect for the treble heavy K701 - the laid back smoothness really takes the glare off the 701. Consider this a SS amp for a very bright system and you will reap immense value. For 250 buck, I am laughing - Rob Gennari is doing it Aussie style (oy! oy! oy!) and I think this product is fantastic.
k701smile.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #30 of 30
Reviving an old thread as I have recently purchased this amp in Sydney.  There is a special on this month and I could not resist. 
redface.gif

I am using the Gennari with K701 and HD650.

I concur that this is a very smooth sounding amp.  Audio syrup pretty well decribes it.  The stock tube does not offer the same level detail or control of my SS amps - at the moment.  I'll wait until the tube has some more hours on it before passing judgement. 

I have a selection of NOS tubes to try in the unit. 
- Telefunken ribbed plate
- Telefunken smooth plate
- Mullard
- CBS engineering samples
- RFT ECC83
- Valvo ECC83

I'll post in a couple months once I've had a good listen to all valves!
k701smile.gif

As it stands, I do not think you would be disappointed with the sound for such a small cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back