Victor HP-M1000: First Impressions
May 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 29
Just a heads up: these will need burn-in. Mine changed considerably during the first 1-50 hours or so of burn in. The bass sped up(it was slow, like Decayed.cell said), and the highs became sparkly. They now sound so good that I'm no longer concerned with any more burn-in
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoot. Even though I have an amp, history tells me I won't be bothered to use it. I hope the M1000 are driven well enough at my typical volume levels to be satisfying. Guess I'll find out soon...

EDIT: Er, maybe not so soon...My order with AudioCubes has been "processing" for almost a week, and the HP-M1000 is no longer listed on their website. Hrm. Interested buyers can still find it at the AC Gears site, though (for now...).

May 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Shoot. Even though I have an amp, history tells me I won't be bothered to use it. I hope the M1000 are driven well enough at my typical volume levels to be satisfying. Guess I'll find out soon...

They're no worse than, say, a Grado in this regard. I think that very few full-size dynamic headphones have full-sounding bass out of something like an ipod.

May 30, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that very few full-size dynamic headphones have full-sounding bass out of something like an ipod.

Yeah, the RP-21, AH-D1000, and especially the Q40 seem to be special in that sense (though my "iPods" are a TrekStor Vibez and a Rockboxed Sansa e280
wink.gif
).

Jun 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Yeah, the RP-21, AH-D1000, and especially the Q40 seem to be special in that sense (though my "iPods" are a TrekStor Vibez and a Rockboxed Sansa e280
wink.gif
).

Looks like a Mini^3 for me then lol

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on the M1000. Your first serious headphone, eh? I strongly recommend that you do try the ES7 and HD555 asap, because you will then realize how criminally the M1000 crushes them.

You shock me, though, with your comments about the bass. The pair I heard had big, tight, excellent bass, some of the best I've heard from a dynamic headphone. (full admission, I'm a planar/electrostat guy) I A/Bed them against the whole AT Ax00 range, and the bass was better than any but the a900ti, and it did fine straight out of my Cowon F2. The pair I was listening to was fairly well broken in, though.

Bit of a thread revival here, but I just got an 80GB Zune and seems to have fixed up my bass issues. Playing Ricky Martin - She Bangs for example, gives me a nice thick deep punchy bass that is not bloated - very fun to listen to. I think I can agree with you guys on the bass on this headphone now
biggrin.gif
. Soundstage is also very wide compared to my old 5.5G iPod Video - previously Blink-182's Feeling This always felt like it was being played in some kind of a enclosed space but the Zune and M1000's open this up very nicely, separating the vocals and instruments

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do these compare to the DX-1000?

I don't own a pair of the DX's so I couldn't say so, but I'm pretty sure they are the bigger brother of this pair. I think someone commented earlier that they might possibly share the same bass driver since their specs are similar. I'm sure the woodcups for one would make a difference in sound (then again, I've yet to hear a pair of woodcup cans so lol I couldn't give you a definite answer)

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by decayed.cell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own a pair of the DX's so I couldn't say so, but I'm pretty sure they are the bigger brother of this pair. I think someone commented earlier that they might possibly share the same bass driver since their specs are similar. I'm sure the woodcups for one would make a difference in sound (then again, I've yet to hear a pair of woodcup cans so lol I couldn't give you a definite answer)

I really don't think the share the same base driver. The frequency response and impedance are different. However, I could be wrong.

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #25 of 29
Found the post
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't think the share the same base driver. The frequency response and impedance are different. However, I could be wrong.

Oh well we can never be sure until someone dissects both cans and has a look heh. Theres another discussion going on here that you might like to read

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #26 of 29
Anyway I got a FiiO amp paired up to my M1000's now. Out of the Zune theres more body, the bass is certainly fuller but maybe at a cost of a bit of top end sparkle. MUSILAND SVDAC05 coming soon
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Hmm I'm getting some background noise on the FiiO
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #28 of 29
Via eBay Auction... I was looking for the nicest specs that I could afford. In a non-wooden Can. Because I dont have bodyparts I can afford to lop off and sell. JOKING...

I'm so ridiculously excited! To have a Can with VICTOR emblazoned upon it coming my way... And its purdy.

I have a pair of VICTOR HP-FX500. I hope these will compare differently but nicely after 500+ hours of burn in on my iBasso D10...

Im kinda excited that they have detachable cables! Thats a good sign that they have quality drivers in there. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the bother.

I noticed on my Victor and JVC IEMs that the character changes over 500+ hours. Wouldn't be surprised if these HP-M1000 take such a time as well.

Did anybody notice they are rather lovely? Yes well, I am chiming in with my adoration NOW. ;-D

Lets liven up this thread!

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #29 of 29
Okay heres a summary of my findings:

The M1000 is a much more fun and forward headphone than the HD 580. My HD 580s have a white screen driver so the bass is quite pronounced (moreso than the black screen drivers). The HD 580s have a typical laid back signature and in comparison the M1000's highs are close to being sibilant but not quite (which makes them acceptable). This also makes the M1000 a pretty bright headphone.

In terms of soundstage, the HD 580 has far more separation - the M1000s sound very closed in comparison. I'm still a little surprised at the bass - the M1000's do pack a punch and have dynamism but at the end of the day the HD 580 still wins - the presence of bass is much more profound. I've found that these are two different headphones to suit differing tastes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back