Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount!
Aug 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #228 of 344
Thanks. I'll try that the next time.. It was a bit challenging to click these as the wide apertures blurred the definition of the burls but gave an overall good picture. So I had to use a narrower aperture to retain the definition of the burls..

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #229 of 344
Regarding @sq3rjick's experimental tune...

I had an idea for a tune and @sq3rjick wanted to check it out. He seems to really like it, which is great! Both tunes are very good, but the production Aria tune will remain in production for the foreseeable future! I'm glad @sq3rjick was willing to take the risk and be a beta tester.

Quote:
  Thanks. I'll try that the next time.. It was a bit challenging to click these as the wide apertures blurred the definition of the burls but gave an overall good picture. So I had to use a narrower aperture to retain the definition of the burls..

Snapping pics of wood is really hard. Took me a few years to get where I am now, and even then there is still huge room for improvement!

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #232 of 344
You need a lot of light presented as a diffuse gradient. So for me I shoot 800 joules through a strip box onto a diffuser. I shoot handheld at about ISO 200 and f18.

Care to share a shot of your setup the next time you take one?  As a photographer I always like seeing how other people approach a shot, especially when you have seen the result. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #234 of 344
You need a lot of light presented as a diffuse gradient. So for me I shoot 800 joules through a strip box onto a diffuser. I shoot handheld at about ISO 200 and f18.

My wife is the photographer. I just borrow her camera+lens+tripod and improvise with the available house lighting/table lamps to click some pics of my gear and collectibles. She has plans of getting into product photography sometime in the future, at which point she will have a nice setup that will give me more options. At this point, I have settled on a setup, where I try to shoot at nights with a yellow ceiling light and keeping wide apertures for nice bokehs to give an artistic feel.

She recently bought a 85mm f1.2. The bokeh at f1.2 is amazing. But did not work well with the Aria, as only a part of the faceplate had good definition. For a simple diffuser setup we have a DIY light box. But the shots I try in that look overly objective. What I really like about your pictures of Aria is that, they look both artistic and objective. I am starting to like this hobby and planning on learning more. I will make sure to make a note of your recommended setup. I will try it out sometime in the future.

An audiophile husband + photographer wife = slim wallet :) 

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #235 of 344
Yeah! Smaller object gives shallower DOF... Focusing distance is the cause iirc. I run a 100mm f2.8 macro lens. Works great!

I have noticed that any light will work if it's a diffuse gradient. It makes the reflections really sexy. Pin light is really harsh. I think Zach uses hot lights and a shower curtain! Works awesome.

Aug 9, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #237 of 344
Yeah! Smaller object gives shallower DOF... Focusing distance is the cause iirc. I run a 100mm f2.8 macro lens. Works great!

I have noticed that any light will work if it's a diffuse gradient. It makes the reflections really sexy. Pin light is really harsh. I think Zach uses hot lights and a shower curtain! Works awesome.

I somehow I missed this post...

Yep, I use the 100mm f2.8 Macro as well. And these were shot with it. I have a couple of shots of Aria. Saving it for the review..

Btw, did you by any chance accompany Zach while he had come down to Austin for a Head-Fi meet back in January?

I particularly love this one, because the reflection of my wife's painting hanging on the wall, gave it a kind of the Horizon effect..

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #238 of 344
I haven't been with Zach to any meets! I'm planning on hitting the next NYC meet and then we'll just have to see from there. 
biggrin.gif

And yeah, the cheaper 100mm f2.8 is a great lens for in-ears!

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #240 of 344
  I haven't been with Zach to any meets! I'm planning on hitting the next NYC meet and then we'll just have to see from there. 
biggrin.gif

And yeah, the cheaper 100mm f2.8 is a great lens for in-ears!

Cool. I asked because, I had a brief chat with a group of people around the ZMF table in the meet. Wondered if one them were you. Its a small world and you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back