Vibro Labs Introduction, USA tour, and Head-Fi discount!
Jul 27, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #196 of 344
That's an extremely high and wide range for vocals, I find the slight dip, very slight around 200-250 hertz range. Under 150 hertz are very present and over 500 hertz are boosted a bit again. Most male vocals are mostly under 300 and female under 500 minus opera singing going to 1,500 maybe a bit higher. A dog whistle is 16,000-20,000 hertz.

1.5-3kHz is upper midrange. Read this: http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #197 of 344
That's an extremely high and wide range for vocals, I find the slight dip, very slight around 200-250 hertz range. Under 150 hertz are very present and over 500 hertz are boosted a bit again. Most male vocals are mostly under 300 and female under 500 minus opera singing going to 1,500 maybe a bit higher. A dog whistle is 16,000-20,000 hertz.

Apologies if it was a little confusing, I can hear the dip but haven't connected it to a frequency range. The user I spoke to who did eq the aria increased it 3-4 db from 1.5khz - 2.4, peaking at 1.8 or something of the sort.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #198 of 344
1.5-3kHz is upper midrange. Read this: http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

Not sure how correct that is since a high C in opera is 1,000 hertz and above 3,000 hertz typically causes sibilance. And there's a disputed all time high note claimed by Mariah Carey at 2960 hertz in a recording. Gil Shaham A on a viloin was 3729 in Elgar's Violin Concerto. Besides extended or pushed notes most fall into a smaller range or 60-6,000 hertz. So I doubt the recessed range is that spread is all I was saying. And if they state it was in male vocals it would fall under 1,000 hertz.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #199 of 344
Not sure how correct that is since a high C in opera is 1,000 hertz and above 3,000 hertz typically causes sibilance. And there's a disputed all time high note claimed by Mariah Carey at 2960 hertz in a recording. Gil Shaham A on a viloin was 3729 in Elgar's Violin Concerto. Besides extended or pushed notes most fall into a smaller range or 60-6,000 hertz. So I doubt the recessed range is that spread is all I was saying. And if they state it was in male vocals it would fall under 1,000 hertz.

Yeah it did not feel like it was that high, i was just quoting numbers. The dip feels to be in the lower mids into the center mids, I'd estimate somewhere 300 hz. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #200 of 344
I went back and listened to the Aria a bunch today because of many of the above comments stating that there's a dip in the frequency response in the mids somewhere.  I was a tester for Luke on the Aria, so I've listened to it a ton, and in different iterations so there's gonna be some bias here, but I don't hear any sort of dip, nor have I measured any sort of dip on my veritas measurement system from Vibro Labs.

I do want to state that as a tester I was never paid for my thoughts and never has any monetary value given to me.  I even paid for my Aria.

I do think think it's easy to hear something after someone tells you to look for it, and I think that may be what's happening here.  Do you guys remember the Heir 4ai debacle back when the wizard still was part of Heir audio?  There was a VERY narrow gap in the frequency response that nobody ever talked about or mentioned, but then it was measured by someone and all of the sudden everyone heard it.  The Heir 4ai was an excellent sounding IEM, I owned one and loved it.  Now I own the Noble Savant, a very different sounding IEM, and the Aria and Savant are my two go-to IEMs, I love them both with a passion.

I'm not stating that any of you guys don't "hear" a dip or anything, we hear what we hear, but I can confidently state that it does not exist in measurements.

Many of you guys know my headphones, they are fairly warm sounding with boosted bass and smooth treble with lush mids.  I also own the Sennheiser HD800, 650, Fostex thxx, Hifiman HE500, an Audeze LCD 2.1 and some other stuff.  What I would say about the aria after today's listen after reading these comments is that it has VERY fast transients.  Maybe not quite as fast or forward as the HD800, but they are super quick.  The Aria to my ears is between the HD650 and 800 in tonality, and it's the super fast transient response and treble speed coupled with a large soundstage for an IEM can make the mids seem further away than they are.  I have the same experience with the HD800 after listening to a warmer headphone and then switching back, but my ears get used to it for a few minutes and then I just enjoy myself!  Do other's hear the Aria differently than me, most definitely!  This is just my experience.

It's important to note, that I NEVER thought about the mids on this headphone being anything but neutral until I read all these comments, and then I was like, "maybe I missed something?"  So I think it's dangerous to say a headphone is a certain way as gospel when there's so many factors that go into it.  Cable, DAC, DAP, Tips, user preferences and history etc etc etc.  As people may start contriving ideas before they've even listened to an earphone.  And based on all the variables experiences will differ.

I love the Aria, and not just because I had a small hand in testing it out for Luke, but because it's a damn fine IEM. 

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 28, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #203 of 344
Too soon to comment on the sound aspects. But I can say for sure that Aria is one of the most comfortable Uni IEMs I have tried so far. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #206 of 344
I went back and listened to the Aria a bunch today because of many of the above comments stating that there's a dip in the frequency response in the mids somewhere.  I was a tester for Luke on the Aria, so I've listened to it a ton, and in different iterations so there's gonna be some bias here, but I don't hear any sort of dip, nor have I measured any sort of dip on my veritas measurement system from Vibro Labs.

I do want to state that as a tester I was never paid for my thoughts and never has any monetary value given to me.  I even paid for my Aria.

I do think think it's easy to hear something after someone tells you to look for it, and I think that may be what's happening here.  Do you guys remember the Heir 4ai debacle back when the wizard still was part of Heir audio?  There was a VERY narrow gap in the frequency response that nobody ever talked about or mentioned, but then it was measured by someone and all of the sudden everyone heard it.  The Heir 4ai was an excellent sounding IEM, I owned one and loved it.  Now I own the Noble Savant, a very different sounding IEM, and the Aria and Savant are my two go-to IEMs, I love them both with a passion.

I'm not stating that any of you guys don't "hear" a dip or anything, we hear what we hear, but I can confidently state that it does not exist in measurements.

Many of you guys know my headphones, they are fairly warm sounding with boosted bass and smooth treble with lush mids.  I also own the Sennheiser HD800, 650, Fostex thxx, Hifiman HE500, an Audeze LCD 2.1 and some other stuff.  What I would say about the aria after today's listen after reading these comments is that it has VERY fast transients.  Maybe not quite as fast or forward as the HD800, but they are super quick.  The Aria to my ears is between the HD650 and 800 in tonality, and it's the super fast transient response and treble speed coupled with a large soundstage for an IEM can make the mids seem further away than they are.  I have the same experience with the HD800 after listening to a warmer headphone and then switching back, but my ears get used to it for a few minutes and then I just enjoy myself!  Do other's hear the Aria differently than me, most definitely!  This is just my experience.

It's important to note, that I NEVER thought about the mids on this headphone being anything but neutral until I read all these comments, and then I was like, "maybe I missed something?"  So I think it's dangerous to say a headphone is a certain way as gospel when there's so many factors that go into it.  Cable, DAC, DAP, Tips, user preferences and history etc etc etc.  As people may start contriving ideas before they've even listened to an earphone.  And based on all the variables experiences will differ.

I love the Aria, and not just because I had a small hand in testing it out for Luke, but because it's a damn fine IEM. 

How does the Aria compare to the Savant? I love how the Savant exudes an almost ER4 neutrality. Would you put classify the Aria similarly?

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #207 of 344
How does the Aria compare to the Savant? I love how the Savant exudes an almost ER4 neutrality. Would you put classify the Aria similarly?

The Aria extends the highs and lows a little more than the savant. But they are not very dissimilar, the savant's tend to be a bit quickier in timing also.
The Aria is also much more forgiving to power supplies and works well with just about anything that is thrown its way, while the savant's didn't sound great of either df but are amazing with the mojo.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #208 of 344
My Buckeye's came in yesterday, and so far my initial impressions are very strong when paired with the Mojo. I haven't put too much time in them yet, but they do have a very unique and relaxing sound. It is somewhat balanced but also somewhat v shaped if that makes any sense. They probably have one of the most unique sounds out of any of the IEMs I own. I'm really impressed with them so far.

I've been using the Comply tips they come with, but has anyone tried any other silicone tips with them? I always end up defaulting to the Spiral Dots, so I want to try some other tips with them instead of just putting those on. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #209 of 344
Originally Posted by klove4252 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Buckeye's came in yesterday, and so far my initial impressions are very strong when paired with the Mojo. I haven't put too much time in them yet, but they do have a very unique and relaxing sound. It is somewhat balanced but also somewhat v shaped if that makes any sense. They probably have one of the most unique sounds out of any of the IEMs I own. I'm really impressed with them so far.

Unfortunately I had to send my Mojo back to the retailer, as it had an issue, and the replacement has not arrived yet. And it won't be here for another few days. But the Aria sounds very good straight out of my Fiio X3ii. And I mean very very good. I don't think I enjoyed my A10 this much with the Fiio X3ii. I can only imagine how good Aria must sound with the Mojo.

Also I agree with your comment on the tuning. It's unique and not easy to describe it in simple terms. No wonder Luke didn't want to simply classify it as a V shaped or Balanced.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #210 of 344

Some quick pics of the unboxing, the first look and then the first fit in the ears.  Will have to give them a couple days before I write any kind of review but first impressions were impressive.  Been listening to Whitebear (favorite= Permatations), Spundose (favorite= Cymatic Revelation), Zebbler Encanti (favorite= Data Mind) and Harasuka (favorite= Nyx).  As you can see I am all Psytrance and WitchHouse and EDM to the core.

Super duper comfortable, fits perfect and doesn't need any adjusting once in ear.

So far the tuning matches perfect with my style of music.  More to come with pictures NOT taken on my phone.

PS They look FxCKING amazing!!!! Did I mention that they look pretty damn awesome?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back