Vibrating Headphones
Nov 12, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 24
so many jokes, so little time! :p

really though what i imagine the OP is looking for is something along the lines of http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roccat-Solid-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00275C2L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289551315&sr=8-1
 a vibration function is a feature of various models of gaming headsets, however if its a decent set of headphones you're looking for they are definitely not it, however many positive reviews there
are about them, the SQ is appalling and the overall build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Really i think the best thing to do is get a decent set of stereo HP's with a solid base response, the whole vibration thing is a gimmick as is "true" 5.1. A pair of HD555's probably wouldn't be a bad place to start.

in short if you really really want a pair of vibrating headphones, your best bet is to buy a decent set of stereo cans and tape your phone to them :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 24
Lestat611, headphones that can do very low frequencies vibrate. I only nosebleed once every year or so, but when I listened to a sony xb headphone for a few minutes I got a nosebleed. Maybe coincidence, I prefer to think it was due to vibration. There are other headphones with the same low freq extension as the XB series, but not many near the same price, AT M50 comes to mind as another possibility.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Vibrating headphones vibrate using the same technology that makes your XBOX360 controller or cellphone vibrate.
If you do not know how this works I suggest that you read this.
The vibration created greatly enhances the bass.

Motors in your headphones that make them vibrate do not enhance bass. It's just a gimmick, nothing more.

Well engineered headphones, suited to purpose and properly driven will give you all the bass you need.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #19 of 24
I vote for the Sony XB500s or XB700s. I had the Skullcrushers, and while they were kind of fun, the sound quality was very bad and broke up and cracked at the slightest provocation. The headphones also broke within a short period. Luckily Skullcandy sent me a new pair no problem which I promptly sold on Ebay. Bass heavy phones like the XB series or Denons do vibrate while giving you good sound quality.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
Motors in your headphones that make them vibrate do not enhance bass. It's just a gimmick, nothing more.

Well engineered headphones, suited to purpose and properly driven will give you all the bass you need.

exactly! not to mention the fact that having the motor that close to your ear can result in an audible rattle, at least that was my experience with the kave...

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 24
I would suggest some Skull Crushers which vibrate (by movement of the headphone, not of the air) if you would like vibrating headphones. However, you have come to a foolish place to inquire about Skull Crushers (an allusion to Paprika). This is head-fi.org, a play on hi-fi. Skull Crushers are NOT hi-fi (by NOT, I mean it's not even a topic open for debate. However, they are certainly low-fi), so information about them on this forum is cursory at best. And like any body else who would posts on this thread, I don't recommend the Skull Crushers, I'm saying you should get them because they fit your requirements, not because I think they are good headphones. However, if you want headphones that can vibrate your ears because they produce so much bass, then consider the XB700. If you have a really good amp and equalizer, you can get 5 Hz @ 110 dB, which is guaranteed to vibrate your head. Granted, you'll go deaf soon enough, so your question is moot. If you ever made your headphones vibrate your head by sound at an amount comparable to a 360 controller, you would go deaf very, very quickly. Unfortunately, the Skull Crushers cannot produce distortion free subsonic sound, because like I alluded to, they are not good headphones. Besides, I find that my EQ as well as the 12 dB 15 Hz bass boost from the Creative drivers deliver enough oomph and vibration in games to enhance the experience. In summation, you have two choices: get the crappy Skull Crushers that'll vibrate your head, or the good Sony MDR-XB700 that'll produce really low frequencies and vibrate your head a little (compared to the Skull Crushers). Or you could make a 60 mm headphone driver and essentially have a woofer by your ear, and then go deaf.

P.S.: The people on this forum are probably more computer, engineering, and science knowledgeable than you ever will be. There is a lot of math and physics involved with audio recording, processing, and playback that I doubt you even have the slightest inclination of, so I would suggest that you refrain from insulting this forum until you understand more about audio. This forum is not like other internet culture related forums you are probably used to.

Quote:
As good as those headphones sound they are not vibrating headphones (as far as I could tell by using google).
Strong base are not what makes vibrating headphones vibrate.
Vibrating headphones vibrate using the same technology that makes your XBOX360 controller or cellphone vibrate.
If you do not know how this works I suggest that you read this.
The vibration created greatly enhances the bass.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 24
@psone

I recall reading, 2 years ago, an article in some technology magazine, I think it was PC World, about some surround sound headphone that seemed pretty authentic compared to the ones on the market. It was supposed to retail for $350 or some high price like that. Do you know them?

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 24
I had LTB version 2 IIRC, that had vibrating weights in them(turns on when "Bass Boost" is turned on).  Don't know why you'd want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back