Vesper audio custom earpads impressions thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #16 of 98
I got my earpads after 2 months, I'll say it again it's not Vesper's fault. They were diligent and followed through on everything they said would do and were absolute professionals with anything they could control.

The pads are premium, exact dimensions, top notch materials I have no issues with their construction whatsoever nor their quality. But they murdered the sound of my T1.

The bass became bloated, out of control, collapsed the soundstage, lost details, made them sound cavernous. I had a similar effect with a pair of sheepskin Brainwavz pads, I also tested fenestrated sheepskin Dekoni pads. The dekoni pads did not butcher the sound, but they did lower the base and tamed the highs on the T1.

I came across Vesper audio and saw their perforated leather options, I noticed they did not have the holes as spaced out as the fenestrated Dekoni. So I figured I'd get a pair from Vesper and land halfway between Brainwavz and Dekoni, get more bass and don't lose too much detail.

Alas I was wrong, Vesper perforated leather; or at least the version I have, isn't truly perforated but textured, they are closer to indentations than perforations. So I couldn't get more spaced out holes on my leather earpads.

I used the pads for a month, but went back to the stock pads. I appreciate the bass on the T1 much more now and instead I am looking for headphones that naturally come with more bass. Maybe the TH-X00 Ebony will fit the bill...

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #17 of 98
Just received custom pads from these guys for my B&W P9 and I couldn’t be happier. Wasn’t exactly straightforward on their end, but they took the job anyway and produced a great result. These have never felt so comfortable and, yes, there is less of an overwhelming bass presence (something clearly designed into the original pads). Vesper was communicative and tolerant of my ridiculous requests throughout the process. Would purchase their services again in a heartbeat.

Attachments

• B84C6E7E-C728-4E3F-8C67-F8EB978B29D9.jpeg
    B84C6E7E-C728-4E3F-8C67-F8EB978B29D9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C0552AFC-F670-4E45-A15A-BA9282B87859.jpeg
    C0552AFC-F670-4E45-A15A-BA9282B87859.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 77838C1C-9FF3-4072-B6D7-167E35EDF115.jpeg
    77838C1C-9FF3-4072-B6D7-167E35EDF115.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 98
So, ever since I got my Audeze Sine (closed-back) headphones, I've noticed that the drivers really liked to flex with the smallest of movements (from walking around to just opening my mouth or turning my head). Despite forum members telling me that it should get better over time, I just saw it get worse and worse as time went on. Getting support from Audeze on the issue became non-existent with their refusal to address the issue and, even further, they eventually just ignored my emails regarding the subject. Officially, they said that the environment, humidity, and temperature were to blame and refused to go further in any support. I even had some people on Reddit tell me that I was abusing my headphones and I was to blame. So basically the headphones went from a perfect commuter headphone to one that I could only use when I wanted to listen to music very still.

I always blamed the issue on the headphones inability to allow air in and out of the driver housing. so when the pads sealed with my ear, the air would have no where to go. Most headphones have some sort of porting on them to allow the air to escape and vent out. The Audeze Sine do have airways to allow the driver to vent out from the back side, but I feel like this simply wasn't enough to allow the driver to breath appropriately. Basically, I felt as if either the headphones had this inherent design flaw or something was defective and not allowing built up pressure to vent out.

Eventually, I decided to test the theory out and looked for some 3rd party pads for the Sine. After contacting Vesper Audio who recommended pads that utilize perforated suede, a more breathable foam, and thinner side walls. The pads arrived about 10 days ago and I've had a bit of time to really play with them. They've entirely fixed the driver flex issue (I don't get driver flex in normal use anymore). So it does support my thoughts that it was an issue with ventilation causing the driver flex. Again, either my headphones are defective and can't vent air properly or the headphones have a design flaw that stops them from venting properly. The pads to change the sound signature of the headphones making them a lot less dark with added clarity. The bass became very fast and tight but holds little to no body whatsoever. In short they became a lot more neutral which I'm actually quite happy with. The pads are very well made and quite comfortable to wear. The design choices stop the headphones from getting hot. Though I had asked for them to remain on-ear headphones, the pads seem to be able to cover around my entire ear. I guess I have very small ears :p

Attachments

• DSC06690.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 98
I was using vesper leather pads for my Koss esp 95x and was very happy with them. I’ve since traded the headphones but I found them an upgrade both in comfort and sonically. Bass was improved noticeably. I would recommend this company.

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #21 of 98
I have made the upgrade as well.

10397053.jpg

Being quite fond of my Stax L3oo Limited, one of the only gripes that I had was comfort. I thought it could be improved on. The L300 ltd do come with a set of l500 ear pads. Those are quite thin and a bit hard. Nothing bad, but it could be better.

The l700 ear pads only fit my l300 ltd when I switched out the plastic baseplate between them. At a price point of 200€, that was not what I was expecting. Also, I felt the l700 pads made the sound a little too round and smooth. The l300 ltd have a hard and fast signature which I like.

I contacted Vesper to make me a pair of leather pads. Not as thick as the l700 pads, but thicker than the l500 pads, was my request.

The pads are nice and soft and provide great comfort. The original ones from Stax might have a teensy bit of a better feel and quality but come at a significantly higher price. So I'm good!

Beware, the Vesper Pads did not come with a plastic base plate at all, so I had to use the ones that came with the headphones.
Also beware that you have to cut the holes for the baseplate into the leather pads as well. Not a big deal but takes a bit of fuzzing. Be careful with the pegs of the plate... they break easily

10397054.jpg

My sound impression is this:

Minuscule change in sound compared to the original. Improved comfort.
Intimacy might be slightly reduced and width increased. Hardness is retained well and there is not much reverb added. This also makes the bass hit similarly

Attachments

• _DSC6081-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6080-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 98
vesper audio2.png

Took a month or so to write this post, as I didn't have an amplifier to test the new pads.

I've ordered a relatively unusual pair for my Shipibo Audio Chacrunas ( very heavily modded HE-6 ). Teardrop shape combined with relatively thin "borders" didn't make things easier, but after a number of suggestions from Vesper Audio staff including the choice of filling material, thickness, cavity size and outside materials, we've reached the conclusion.
It was hard for Vesper Audio to help me, given that they've never heard my headphones ( well ... duh ). I expected to get a pair to test, make adjustments and then order the final one, but I've received exactly what I was hoping to get.

The most important thing ( in my humble opinion ) is to preserve the big, layered soundstage of HE-6 and add weight to the sound without audibly distorting or slowing it down. Most of the pads that make the sound richer and fuller ( like Audeze pads, Alpha Pads, Eikon pads, Ether pads ) have a huge downside - the loss of air and some problems with dynamics. On the other hand airy pads often make it sound thin, bright and tiring.
These pads add a lot of weight, while losing maybe only 5% of the air and freedom of the Auteur pads. I have tested the headphones on a few demanding songs and haven't noticed any distortion or problems with dynamics/detail. They're also thick and comfy.

I'll probably order another ( a velour/suede summer pair ) in a few months.

By the way, it would be wise to research ( or even better test ) how things like cavity size, thickness and materials ( leather vs fenestrated vs suede ) affect the sound, at least in general. These people know their stuff, but they aren't mind readers. The more precise You are, the better pair You'll get.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #23 of 98
I was using vesper leather pads for my Koss esp 95x and was very happy with them. I’ve since traded the headphones but I found them an upgrade both in comfort and sonically. Bass was improved noticeably. I would recommend this company.

Hi, can I ask what pad thickness, outer materials and foam type you requested for your pads? And were they angled?

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 98
I no longer have the unit, so I can only answer via memory. They were not angled, and were about the same thickness as the originals. I didn’t have an option at the time for type of memory foam, only the ‘leather’ version. I hope this helps a bit!

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #25 of 98
I no longer have the unit, so I can only answer via memory. They were not angled, and were about the same thickness as the originals. I didn’t have an option at the time for type of memory foam, only the ‘leather’ version. I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks, so yours were all-leather? No alcantara on the ear-facing part or anything? And do you remember if they affected the sound in any negative way at all? Or was the only change in sound an increase in bass as you said?

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #26 of 98
Well overall it was a positive change for both comfort and sound.

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #27 of 98
I’ve only been a couple of months in the Stax world and want to share some impressions about the Stax headphone modding. I have an L500 with SRM-006tII. It seemed to me that the original pads on the L500 are uncomfortable and do not fit snugly to the head. Obviously stax doesn't have enough bass. Therefore, I ordered special pads from Vesper Audio. They are based in Belarus, Minsk. I saw this from the delivery box with their address. So what about impressions? I think this is a Must Have option for any Stax user. This is not a kind of advertisement for Vesper Audio. In fact, they just sent them to me after payment, they did not even inform me of the date of sending, they did not ask if I received them)). Leather is very thin and high quality, memory foam is very soft and have memory effect as it says. Thickness of mine is 3 sm.
What's the sound? The bass has become much nicer and bigger. It has become closer in sound to dynamic headphones. Became more fleshy and enjoyable. In some songs where there should be a very low bass at the level of the building's jitter, standard staxes did not have it. In mods, it is present and sounds right. I remember this from the dynamic headphones and from my wireless bassheads. As a result, we have the speed of electrostats and sufficient bass. At the same time, it remains the same fast and clear unlike dynamic headphones, well, you understand what I mean.
I will not give links, this is not advertising, just my review. I am now very pleased with the way stax sounds. There is another 500th and I can compare the sound instantly changing the headphones, especially 006 has two outputs.
Here is my review, I sincerely wish those who's Staxes give a feeling of insufficient bass to buy any modified ear pads that are thicker than original and made of genuine leather. Mine by the way made from thin sheep skin. Very soft, comfortable. I bought my L500 as used and it was unpleasant to wear them with old pads after somebody else...

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 98
The l700 ear pads only fit my l300 ltd when I switched out the plastic baseplate between them

Assuming you're still around;
Thank you for the detailed posting, appreciate the extra info; had been searching for the 'little things' that usually don't make it into posts :)

And as to the quoted excerpt here, no offense meant, really, but if i may enquire as to whether this was -perhaps- a user error type of case? Finding it rather surprising, given the housing for either 300ltd, 500, or 700.

My thanks in advance; and once again, by all means don't misunderstand me, merely wish to make certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back