Very underimpressed with Yuin PK1
Jun 19, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 46
No EQ, using Winamp to play MP3's. I do expect burn-in to improve the sound, but not so drastically as to turn them from $20 earbuds to $200 ones. I ran them overnight and the bass came out a bit more, but that's about the only difference I noticed.

I listen to mostly J-pop and some techno. Nearly all my songs have female vocals. Here's some links to some of the songs I've been using to test the earbuds with:

Makino Yui Tsuki no Shijima - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (for female vocal)

Takumi Masanori Haru, Utsuro - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (guitar, listen for the 'pack' sound of the metal chair at 6.5 seconds as the guy shifts position)

Éf Koi Kaze - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (overall, this song rocks on the RS1)

Kano Last regrets - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (the first note should have a nice thump to it)

Da Capo TV Original Soundtrack - AMOROSO Yureru Kokoro - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (recorded piano, good for soundstage)

Unknown Pure Snows - Song - MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music (kick drum should have a nice thump to it)

Mind you, these songs are streamed and the quality isn't as good as the MP3's (which I have), but you can get a general idea of my listening tastes.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 46
the comparison to RS-1s seems a bit unfair, but your comments about the Cowon stock buds are surprising. either those are some amazing earbuds, or something's amiss.

fwiw, switching from RS-2s to PK1s doesn't leave me disappointed, or wanting. when properly amped, the Yuins never cease to impress me.

having said that, consider yourself lucky as you've probably just managed to save yourself a good chunk of change.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #18 of 46
Agree with MD1032.

No offense (non pointing toward anyone), but I always find people wanting to compare two very different type of headphone very strange, i.e. IEM vs earbud, IEM vs. big can, earbud vs. big can. My own experience tells me that most of such kind of comparison usually come down to very subjective feeling instead of reasonable/reliable SQ comparison.

There is a very obvious different b/w 'PK1 sounds like RS1 in the earbud world' and 'PK1 sounds like RS1'. I have strong feeling that many people often confuse what they read on the first claim with the meaning of the later. That isn't 'overhyped', just misunderstanding of the reader for interpreting a subjective feeling as objective opinion.

PK1 is the best earbud I have even heard so far, nothing (not A8, E888, or CM7) comes close to its level of musical performance. Does PK1 sounds better or as good as big can? I doubt it. However, I have no doubt it is the best earbud I even listen to.

I do hope the OP can give his PK1 a bit of time before calling it quit. A few short days ain't enough to get the most complete picture of PK1 (or any headphone) IMO.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #19 of 46
At this point I'm willing to mail my Cowon earbuds to someone for a better comparison, provided that you return them to me after you're done with them.

Here's a picture of them:

earbuds.jpg

On another note, what would you guys say is the earbud/IEM version of the RS1?

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #20 of 46
i have a feeling this is a fit issue. with earbuds and IEMs, the fit is so critical that it must not be overlooked when comparing sound. on a different note though, the cowon d2 earbuds are surprisingly decent.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 46
I'm assuming you mean ASIO4All and not true ASIO? I've done comparisons and my opinion is that there is no noticeable difference between DirectSound and ASIO4All. As for true ASIO, I haven't had the time to modify my X-Fi XtremeMusic yet so the Pico obviously has a much better DAC.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this point I'm willing to mail my Cowon earbuds to someone for a better comparison, provided that you return them to me after you're done with them.

Here's a picture of them:

earbuds.jpg

i got those buds with my M5L a few years back, and they were ok, kinda nice clear midrange, but that's all i can remember.

i'm thinking it has something to do with the type of music your listen to. the first thing that blew me away with the pk1 was the gigantic soundstage. clarity and detail is there, just not the first thing you notice. try some classic music and some more burn in. (it's supposed to be best with 200+ hours.)

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 46
I also have the Cowon earbuds and - forget the PK1 - they didn't have a foot to stand on compared against the PK3. I really doubt the problem is a fit issue though, because a poor fit results in less bass and more mids/treble, which would leave you with a sound closer to that of the Cowon buds, which you already prefer. I think this is a simple case of you prefering a different sound sig than what most people do. Regardless of subjective sound sig preferences though, the PK1 mops the floor with the Cowons in instrument seperation, soundstage, bass and treble extension and achieving a more even response (fewer peaks and dips).

Also, burn in did not transform them when I was burning mine in. Mostly instrument seperation improved.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 46
My first impression with the PK1 was very scratchy and unfocused -- exactly unimpressed. As I got used to it and gave it more time, it started sounding much more smoother, eventhough it didn't necessarily change how my other cans sounded.

I really didn't know what was going on, but if you give it more time, it will grow on you.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 46
offtopic:
Very beautiful songs ranma13. Sound excellent in my DT990. I love Jpop! ^_^
End of offtopic:

I was considering this earphones in the past (because of my ex-creative XMOD earbuds, sounded excellent), but i don't believe that they are worth to get, considering the price...

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #27 of 46
I quite like the sound of PK1 amped. It has somewhat of a Grado sound, and is the best earbud I've ever heard. No, it can't be compared to full-sized headphones, but I can say that I like them at least as much as the SR225.

I know people who bought PK1 and PK2 to use with the Cowon D2, and they seem happy with them. Let the PK1 burn in, play with the fit, and then listen to them in a quiet room, hopefully they grow on you.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #28 of 46
After some more careful listening, I can say that they are more resolving than the Cowon earbuds, especially when it comes to certain female vocals. However, whether this is worth the $160, I'm still debating. I'm running the PK1's through some pink noise now and will see how they fare in the morning.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the PK1's but I am impressed with my PK2's. Although I don't really think any earbuds will sound like $700 cans.

just show me one.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's using a Pico:

wow i didn't see that! Well i guess burn them in are they just arn't your cup of tea. If thats the cans than try and resell them and the FS thread and use that to fund something that you will like.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back