Very underimpressed with Yuin PK1
Jun 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, what would you guys say is the earbud/IEM version of the RS1?

that's where you are going wrong.. IMHO there are NO earbuds or IEM that will sound as good as a high end full size open can.

My experience with PK1 is that they have a similar sound to my HD650 but still obviously the HD650 is out of their league in terms of overall sound quality.. as should be expected. However, every time I listen to the PK1 they shatter all of my expectations of what an earbud is supposed to sound like.. soundstage, beautiful detail and separation.. PK1 are so light and comfortable they virtually disappear for me and they do get better with burn in. PK1 also sound their best when playing lossless.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #32 of 46
My PK1s amped sound as good or even a little better than my Alessandro MS1s. Some think Grados sound similar so it's not too much of a stretch to say Pk1s sound almost as good as RS1s.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #33 of 46
It's strange to me that there are not more offerings in the earbud category. I have the PK2's and like them a lot. They are more comfortable then IEMs and more convenient than larger headphones. Easy to carry around in your pocket. You would think it would be easier to design/manufacture good sounding earbuds than IEMs.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #34 of 46
give it more time...you'll be amazed
happened to me too when i first got it
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 46
I'm with the crowd that says you should give it some time to burn in and let your mind acclimate to the new sound. I find PK-1's amazing and do feel they are somewhat "Grado-like". I bought an RS-1 because it was the only headphone I could find that did bass like the PK-1 (which I find excellent...tight and impactful). Not to be overly dramatic, but the PK-1's revolutionized my listening preferences and set me looking for new attributes in the sound signature.

Also, play with the pads. A donut pad sounds different than a regular one...and I think the Rat Shack pads with holes cut in them sound the best.

The RS-1 definitely blows the PK-1 away, but like another poster said, when I go from the RS-1 to the PK-1 I don't find the sound too lacking.

My only PK-1 complain is that they sound slightly nasal as compared to the RS-1. A few minutes after the switch and that issue becomes nearly unnoticeable.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 46
Honestly, in the short time I auditioned them, I did come to one conclusion, and that's that the price difference between the PK2's and the PK1's doesn't nearly justify the price hike. You might have been happier with them.

Still, you should notice significantly better detail in the PK1's than the cowon earbuds.

And again, what kind of music do you listen to?

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's strange to me that there are not more offerings in the earbud category. I have the PK2's and like them a lot. They are more comfortable then IEMs and more convenient than larger headphones. Easy to carry around in your pocket. You would think it would be easier to design/manufacture good sounding earbuds than IEMs.

Ooh, Forget IEMs. My customed UEs have been put into the box for months. They are really pain in the ear.

I am settled on my k-701s which bring me good sq as the UEs but much more comfortable.

PKs are comfortable and musical.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #38 of 46
^Indeed!
The PK1s are well worth their price. They can definitely hold their own against more expensive cans. Even though they do not sound exactly like Grado headphones they do come quite close in my opinion. If I had to pick one pair of headphones from my inventory that sounds closest to the Yuin PK1s it would have to be my modded SR-60s. The PK1s have a slightly better and more balanced sound and great speed.

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #39 of 46
I haven't heard any of the PKs, but my gathering from reading, is that they are VERY LIKELY overhyped, as like many products here are.

I've been wanting to purchase some, so, if yours go up for sale, remember me, lol.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And again, what kind of music do you listen to?

I already posted a sample list of songs I listen to:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ver...ml#post4356015

Although they are more detailed than the Cowon earbuds, I'm afraid the difference isn't worth the $160. Therefore I'll be selling these to someone who can appreciate them more than I am. I think I'll stick to full-size headphones, maybe Portapro's or something small and compact but still full-size or on-ear for when I'm on the move.

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 46
I picked up the PK1s back in April or so when my Xin SMIV arrived. When I first got them I thought they were awful (I complained somewhere on these forums too). Granted, I plugged them into my new SMIV and listened without letting either burn in. The sound was very distorted to my ears.

It's now June and they've both had a lot more time to burn in and the sound is MUCH better... no more weird distortion. My only complaint now is lack of bass unless I hold them a certain way to my ear (which I can't always do and don't want to have to do).

I think you should give them a little more time before dismissing them.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by bensiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need an amp for it.

*Bangs head on table*

It's been stated multiple times that I'm running it through a Pico...

Oh well, I already put it up for sale. I think I'm gonna go for something either on-ear or full-sized, like the Koss Portapro's. Maybe my ideal is too high because I want something that sounds like my RS1's in a more portable version.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 46
LOL I loved them when I had them, running out of my now sold Mini^3. I actually regret selling them
frown.gif
Their formfactor is just so convenient, earbuds are much easier to take on and off than a full-sized headphone.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #45 of 46
One man's loss is another man's gain :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back