Very specific amp needed, calling all AKG K70x 701 702 owners who use it for mixing
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

senjy

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fi guys!

I would like some help please
bigsmile_face.gif

I just bought a pair of K702's and they're waiting to be driven, and I'm going to use it as a second reference during mixing.
I don't know much about headphone amps, but I do know that most of the threads I've looked at are from hi-fi listeners. Whether or not that makes a difference I don't know, so please bear with me
tongue_smile.gif
I've heard some colour the sound - definitely not for me.

My signal chain will be as follows, Pc>M-Audio Fast Track Ultra>Headphone Amp!>akg k-702

Budget is $300 or less, so no Phonitor or stuff like that..unless you wanna sell me yours for $300
dt880smile.png

Producers and engineers step up!

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 14
In the DIY subforum, you can find a thread on the forthcoming Objective2 amplifier - easily under $100 to build (and an easy build at that) no-nonsense headphone amp. It aims to be as measurably perfect as possible (wire with gain) and does rather well at it at that. Furthermore, it will quite happily drive the AKGs or most any other headphone that you might later acquire.
If you don't want to DIY, it is likely that there will be various people offering to build it (probably for around $150 max) - and boards are out late this month/early September if all goes well.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 14
Actually I wanna take back my thanks
beyersmile.png
give my words back!

I read the thread and the schematics...I only just got into this amp game, I got freaked out by the complexity - this is way ahead of me.
I also don't have the time to spend on making something like this, and I just realized I require the amp to go through s/pdif.

Thanks anyway (!)

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 14
Wait what? You require the amp to accept a digital signal? 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 14
AH nono, sorry I meant this dac/amp combo I was looking up, but that's a different thing.
Disregard it aha I'll go and brush up on my terminology
tongue.gif

Do  you have any other suggestions besides the Objective2 amp? Such as a commercial product?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Why not just use the amp built into the Fast Track? Or just get an affordable headphone amp from Behringer like the HA400.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 14
The FTU's built in amp doesn't provide enough power to drive the K702s.
But never mind all this :)

After some more research I have made peace with myself with choosing the Matrix M-Stage
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Or just get an affordable headphone amp from Behringer like the HA400.

And the HA400 puts out only 40mW@100ohms, hardly an amp you would want to use. Plus I have no need for 4 separate hp outs, I am not tracking with 4 musicians, and I would never use that for monitoring a band.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 14
Ok so I haven't made peace yet, it's too much of a risk to leap out and get the M-stage without confirmation from someone who uses the 70X's for referencing (it costs almost as much as I paid for the K702's!!)

So bump.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Ask Acix...

That M-Audio device. Can you control the gain and volume with the M-Audio for the headphone out? I have a Behringer SRC2496 which lets me control the output of the headphone out and it even powers the DT48S-5, a rare headphone that needs heavy amplification.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 14
The Meier Corda Headfive/Arietta/swing, amps will be my first option under $200 (around $180 used, try on the FS forum). The Apogee duet is a great choice but only If you're working with Mac.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Ask Acix...

That M-Audio device. Can you control the gain and volume with the M-Audio for the headphone out? I have a Behringer SRC2496 which lets me control the output of the headphone out and it even powers the DT48S-5, a rare headphone that needs heavy amplification.

Ask and ye shall receive? haha Thanks Acix love ya! I'll be checkin those out

@Deep Funk - yes indeed you can. 2 independent headphone outputs with individual volume controls.  Right now I can achieve very respectable levels (damaging even) on the K702's, but apparently you really need to amp them, soundstage increase+bass response slightly flatter (less recessed) ....MOR BASS. Though honestly I would love to rely on these to monitor the bass, but there are better phones for that. I guess it'll just take slightly longer to make those sub-50hz decisions.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
The Meier Corda Headfive/Arietta/swing, amps will be my first option under $200 (around $180 used, try on the FS forum). The Apogee duet is a great choice but only If you're working with Mac.

hmm well I found the Headfive, but since it is discontinued, I have no idea to its specs etc. Acix do you remember anything about it? because I live in Aus and I'm not surer how the power would affect here, also does it use RCA inputs?

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back