Very simple ATH-M50 'balance' mod (less bass, more mids)
Nov 2, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #46 of 65

Quote:
i would imagine you could just re-tape the inside holes back with a similar tape.

Yeah, but i am horrible at DIY things so i don't know if i should take the risk opening it. I am worried that somehow i would end up breaking the m50 while opening/closing it.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #47 of 65
I tried the mod with electric tape (doesn't leave residue) ELECTRICAL TAPE LEAVES RESIDUE. DO NOT USE. I tried the 6 mod first, and noticed everything sounded warmer, and the bass was definitely reduced. However, I realized the extension was lost. I ran it through "Love letter to Japan" by The Bird and the Bee and the deep reverberating bass beat in the middle of the song was reduced to a basic bass drum. Overall impact was reduced, even in the mid and high frequencies. Also, soundstage and imaging became more congested somehow. Someone mentioned that the sound became more nasal, and i did notice a bit of that. It didn't sound fun. It's like the M50 had a cold
frown.gif
   If I could compare, I would say it sounded like the AD700 with a congested soundstage. Not horrible, but it's not what I look for in a pair of headphones.

I removed some of the tape, and tried a 4 mod ( OXOOOXO  top and bottom). This was an improvement. The bass started to have more extension and everything sounded less nasal. But there was still the problem with everything sounding like there was a veil over it. I tried another combination:

I call it the "Y" combo. Top: OXOOOXO  Bottom: OOOXOOO.  Everything sounded alot better.  There was warmth, and there was detailed bass. However, I noticed the soundstage still was congested. All the sounds were mushed together. I tried another combo.

I covered the top and bottom middle holes ( OOOXOOO top and bottom), and for some reason everything was nasal again!!! I realized that if you cover the middle hole, the sound is "nasalized". Anyone have some kind of explanation with this?

I tried only covering the top middle holes (OOOXOOO top only) to test it, and it didn't sound nasal. It sounded only slightly different from unmodded. The soundstage was a little more congested.
Using the same combo, but on the bottom hole, the soundstage sounded better, but there was a slight noticable veil over everything. Also, bass impact was softened, meaning less punch.

I then tried the original suggested 2 mod (OXOOOXO bottom only) to see if that's better, since that doesn't use the top hole at all.  Everything was good, except this nagging veil over the mid bass, and lack of bass extension past 80hz or so. Some percussion was also too sibilant. I don't like this mod either.

I tried the same configuration, but at the top (OXOOOXO top only). This time, the bass was extended farther, and everything had good detail overall. The sound was very slightly dark. Vocals were a little warmer. But not much really. I think it's better for me than the other 2 mod.

Then I had a thought.. what if i cover just the outer holes? I call it the X mod (XOOOOOX top and bottom). My instant impression was the soundstage was bigger than the top-only "2mod". However, the bass lost detail. There was extension, and actually there was more bass impact and punch, but it was more boomy. Not tight at all.

I reverted it back to no mod, and I fell back to safe-land. I already like the sound. I was hoping for a little bit more warmth in the mids though.
Maybe a good combination with the right material of tape will do it?

EDIT: Found out Electrical tape leaves alot of residue once it's left on for a while. DO NOT USE!

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #49 of 65
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
DO NOT USE ELECTRICAL TAPE

I just found out that Electrical Tape leaves its adhesive on the surface it's stuck on for a while.
I found it being really sticky on my table top when I left them stuck on there after experimenting.

The adhesive had weakened and the tape is able to slide off leaving traces of sticky stuff everywhere.

DO NOT USE FOR THE MOD

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #51 of 65

Quote:
Has anyone attempted a markl like mod for the m50? From what i read they seem to have the same problems (too much bass + recessed mids), so I assume that the outcome would be favorable.

Mids are more forward on the M50 than the D7000 to my ears when ignoring the upper mid dip on the M50.  There's a 'balance' mod using tape or whatever you want to tune the bass how you wish.  Plus pad rolling is an option.  

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #53 of 65
I prefer software solution to negate the downfalls in the M50 frequency response curve. It is much more precise.

Here's my current (version 3) parametric equalizer specifically tailored for M50, turns its sound into something of a dream:

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #55 of 65
The pictures have stopped working, does anyone remember what holes in particular he covered? I just want the -5% bass and 10% more vocals... anyone remember?

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #57 of 65
well, i just tried this with blue painter's tape on two of the holes on the bottom of each driver, like this: OXOOOXO. my immediate impressions are a slightly increased soundstage, slight (pleasing) increase in the mids and the bass doesn't bleed into the rest of the frequencies as much, but it still sounds full and present. i'm really surprised at what four little pieces of tape did and part of it could obviously be a placebo, but i noticed right away that the mids were more forward. took less than two minutes to do, too 

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #59 of 65

Quote:
 I just want the -5% bass and 10% more vocals... anyone remember?

Just drop the bass and bring up the vocals with your faders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back