Very simple ATH-M50 'balance' mod (less bass, more mids)
Jan 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #61 of 65
wow, that* makes it sound less annoying.
sweet sounding setup, thank you.

*that is: jerg's eq in electri-q, c.moy's setup in the bauer stereo-to-binaural dsp, sansa clip+, audio-technica ath-m50 without this balance mod, listening to grimes' circumambient from the album visions

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #62 of 65
Just did the mod here,and i have to say,it improves a lot! Since i bought the M50s,i've been using the eq,but now it's just perfect. There's a great amount of bass,but without overpowering the mids and the highs.... Thanks a lot! xD

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #63 of 65

robjrock:

I play electric guitar on POD HD500 processor ... just received my ATH M50 Headphones and I was really disappointed to find that mids are missing ... MIDS are probably the most important freqs for guitar player.

Anyway ...
I just covered 6 holes on L and R channels following your post and this now sound like a completely different (balanced) monitors.
If I was a ATH Company I would hire you as an audio engineer in this moment.

Great idea and really good patch.

Thanks man you are great!

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #64 of 65
This is a pretty dead thread, I get that. But I recently came across something that I have not heard anyone mention. So I've been messing around with my M50x lately. After falling in love with my HD600s I was at one point "over" the M50x.

Since the M50x are my only closed back at this time I decided to try new pads from Brainwavz. The normal (non angled) pleather pads. The first thing I noticed was the large drop in bass that everyone talks about. I also noticed a bit of an echo or cupped hands effect that I did not like. This bummed me out at first because the pads were comfortable but really messed with the sound signature of the M50x.

I realized that everyone was correct, the larger pads made my ears further from the drivers which changed the sound. Then one day something dawned on me so I gave it a try. Here it is...

*Instead of mounting the HM5 pads into the slot that the original pads set in I pulled them past the slot & around the outside of the housing. This pulls the HM5 pads closer to the driver. It also slightly spreads them open a bit allowing more room for your ear.

This one change made a big improvement & brought the sound closer to what the original pads had. Bass is not 100% back to original but I'd say 90%. Mounting the HM5 pads into the slot like normal gives you 65%-70% bass compared to the original. These are just estimates according to my ears.

Here is another tip:
*I cut out the middle foam from the original pads & added them behind the thin foam the HM5 pads have. This tamed the early reflections & smoothed out the slightly harsh highs.

I can honestly say I am now enjoying my M50x more than ever. When on the road or out in public I really love these cans again...of course when I'm at home nothing compares to my HD600s through my Crack w/Speedball but that's another topic haha.

Hope this helps anyone out there that is disappointed with the HM5 pads on their M50x. :)

Happy Listening Everyone

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #65 of 65
Dont put HM5 pads and dont tape the port....

And dont take out foam from backside of driver

I was talking Audio technica India office guy and he explained me some stuff

HM5 pads add extra reflection in cup and is no no

Taping of ports create unwanted back pressure in cup, which avoid the driver to move further back, limiting its bass extension

Taking the foam out makes the ringing come back.

Use shure 940 pads with hair rubber bands(glossy black stuff)

And get some felt 1mm and put it over the driver center holes.

Done...

Shure pads directly cut 8dB from whole bass range while not rolling off in sub bass

And damping the center of driver and those vents/holes with felt dampen the treble while the middle ring and external ring vents makes the lower mids and upper mids forward.

Flat damm neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Back