Very neutral cans for mixing for a friend
Jan 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

stang

Headphoneus Supremus
Asking this for a friend of mine as he needs some for mixing his tracks. He mixes and listens to various forms of dance, so yes, he likes his bass, but not overly emphasized. He needs extremely neutral closed cans, as he doesn't want to find out that he has put in too much bass or treble etc when he goes to listen to it on his speakers etc. Right now I do not know much about his equipment, sorry, but I do know he has a $1k+ tube amplifier, he hates SS. Budget is about $700aud ($635usd or so) for them. He doesn't have to spend that much but if it needed, he will gladly pay it. Right now he does not own any headphones but he wants to get some. All though some cans with emphasized bass will sound wonderful, he has clearly stated to me he wants to hear the music as it has been recorded/mixed.

Thanks, will try and update as soon as I get some more info from him
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 32
Thanks, will look into them and tell him about them. I was looking at the SA5000 not too long ago actually.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 32
Beyer DT-48. The only dissadvantage is it wont hit the lowest of the lows or highest of the highs. But everything from about 50hz up is magic. Mabey Sony MDR-CD900ST if he needs more bass.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 32
Lol well the DT-48 are very difficult to find
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 32
Not sure is this is a good suggestion or not, but how about the Shure SRh 840. They may have a bit of a mid bass hump, but I also thought that they were a nice neutral phone that hits deep when necessary.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 32
hd 25 i ii

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 32
For something neutral that is more easily found (and cheaper) than DT48's, try AKG K271.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 32
DT48 is a wonderful headphone but it has almost no bass. I own them and have listened to some dance music with them and it's NOT fun. The SA5000 is perfect with electronic music, but it is a bit expensive. Maybe have a look at the HD-25 like other people have said...

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asking this for a friend of mine as he needs some for mixing his tracks. He mixes and listens to various forms of dance, so yes, he likes his bass, but not overly emphasized. He needs extremely neutral closed cans, as he doesn't want to find out that he has put in too much bass or treble etc when he goes to listen to it on his speakers etc. Right now I do not know much about his equipment, sorry, but I do know he has a $1k+ tube amplifier, he hates SS. Budget is about $700aud ($635usd or so) for them. He doesn't have to spend that much but if it needed, he will gladly pay it. Right now he does not own any headphones but he wants to get some. All though some cans with emphasized bass will sound wonderful, he has clearly stated to me he wants to hear the music as it has been recorded/mixed.

Thanks, will try and update as soon as I get some more info from him
smile.gif

NAGRA DT48S.. They were made to fit NAGRA's specifications.. & are the most flat/neutral non audio metric headphone I have ever heard by a large margin.. They are rare though.. Another option would be the DT48a.. They are great for analyzing & studying the music.. To me they preform a autopsy on every instrument you hear, leaving nothing out.. But, they are overly analytical & suck the life out of music.. But as a precise tool for studying the sound, I don't think they can be beat.. The DT48a was designed for measurements & testing..

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT48 is a wonderful headphone but it has almost no bass. I own them and have listened to some dance music with them and it's NOT fun. The SA5000 is perfect with electronic music, but it is a bit expensive. Maybe have a look at the HD-25 like other people have said...

True.. But bass isn't concerned with him.. So the DT48 will git him fine.. Yes.. The SA5000 are magical with Electronic music..
Also the 240DF/HD600/HD880/CD900ST will be doable.. Albeit not has hardcore as the DT48 in terms of being flat.. They are more pleasing to the ear..

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 32
I thought tube amps were anything but neutral.
confused.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought tube amps were anything but neutral.
confused.gif

Vintage tube gear generally isnt.
New tube gear has the potential to be neutral all it wants.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 32
I'm not sure that the hd25-II would be a good option.
I don't have much experience with headphones, but I own the hd25 and I don't think it's that neutral sounding.
I like them, and I also like a warm, slightly bassy sound so...you get my point
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back