Very High end Speakers Boenicke audio
Mar 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #76 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. If you intend to keep your business and posting separated, then you are not an MOT. I know, for me, that line would be hard to hold, and MOT status is free.

That was a record response time I even edited my response too slowly haha. I don;t want to register as an MOT I am happy to just blend in the crowed and see what people think I am not doing research just hanging out. My site is not known for audio anyways I am just getting into the audiophile side of things through a couple of marketing firms. I use this forum for leisure.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 111
Quote:

These things smell terrible to me. The marketing fluff is astounding.

Otherwise, you run a very real risk of having your posts deleted and your account suspended.

Sorry for the bucket of ice water, but this thread needs cleaned off. Do I need to be a moderator to say that, Obobskivich?

x2. Except just move straight to the banning process. Me thinks he is beyond the remedial phase but I don't care whether he stays or goes.

To me workplace safety is a big thing. To me you cannot be a productive and useful member of society unless you are operating in a safe manner. And if I rubbed you the wrong way, that's good.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #78 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by munk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no financial stake in how well these speakers do if they perform badly people still read the review. I do not get paid to write the review. And I definitely don;t get paid to write a "good" review.

Not true at all. I myself happen to be a reviewer, both on here and elsewhere. People who write favorable reviews that tend to attract potential buyers get a reputation as such. Surely, some names jump to mind for you as well as me.

Reviewers who write favorable reviews, or who generate a lot of interest in a product, are more likely to be given the job of reviewing new, hotly-anticipated products. People anxious for those reviews flock to those sites, and generate money for the site and the advertisers on the site. This isn't 1977, this is the internet. The ability to drive traffic to see what you want them to see is of prime concern to any website owner.

This is precisely the reason why most publications don't dare write bad reviews. Even Stereophile can't afford to shell out $400,000+ into equipment every month, so they rely on manufacturers to send goods for free. That train stops if the reviews are consistently bad.

Any review site that regularly gives bad reviews is reader-funded, and has to buy the gear they review. If you're getting it for free, there are strings attached. If you keep those strings away from Head-fi, then you're fine. Most people aren't too good at doing that, though.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #79 of 111
wait, how did my little innocent curiosity trigger this flaming war?
confused_face(1).gif

wink_face.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #80 of 111
Quote:

Not true at all. I myself happen to be a reviewer, both on here and elsewhere. People who write favorable reviews that tend to attract potential buyers get a reputation as such. Surely, some names jump to mind for you as well as me.

Reviewers who write favorable reviews, or who generate a lot of interest in a product, are more likely to be given the job of reviewing new, hotly-anticipated products. People anxious for those reviews flock to those sites, and generate money for the site and the advertisers on the site. This isn't 1977, this is the internet. The ability to drive traffic to see what you want them to see is of prime concern to any website owner.

This is precisely the reason why most publications don't dare write bad reviews. Even Stereophile can't afford to shell out $400,000+ into equipment every month, so they rely on manufacturers to send goods for free. That train stops if the reviews are consistently bad.

Any review site that regularly gives bad reviews is reader-funded, and has to buy the gear they review. If you're getting it for free, there are strings attached. If you keep those strings away from Head-fi, then you're fine. Most people aren't too good at doing that, though.

Am I the only person who actually reads Stereophile instead of just slamming it? The belief that they only publish positive reviews is pure urban legend. MOSTLY positive, sure... what do you expect when they review top-of-the-line equipment? You don't read "Exotic Car Monthly" expecting the people to call a Ferrari "slow." But there are negative reviews, some of them pretty scathing, in almost every issue.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #81 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only person who actually reads Stereophile instead of just slamming it? The belief that they only publish positive reviews is pure urban legend. MOSTLY positive, sure... what do you expect when they review top-of-the-line equipment? You don't read "Exotic Car Monthly" expecting the people to call a Ferrari "slow." But there are negative reviews, some of them pretty scathing, in almost every issue.

Could you post a couple examples of negative reviews? I stopped subscribing to Stereophile years ago when equipment I knew was mediocre received rave reviews.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #82 of 111
I've had a stereophile subscription for three years now, ear. I've been published in it, in fact, though only online. I used them as an example of a publication with disposable income. Their scathing reviews are still pretty much a joke, IMO, but my post above had nothing to do with that.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #83 of 111
Quote:

I have no financial stake in how well these speakers do if they perform badly people still read the review. I do not get paid to write the review. And I definitely don;t get paid to write a "good" review.

OH OH, I HAVE A TINFOIL HAT THEORY!

You do if you get to keep a review sample. Just a few posts back you said this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by munk
I don't get any compensation. On my website my reviewers get to keep the products after they are reviewed (most of them) but we are unbiased and no matter what we never leave out any negatives. Review sites don't last long if they leave out important facts on products people wont read the articles anymore.

As you can see you can help control the new and used market by what type of review they get. Sell them used for a resounding amount of money after giving them an A+ review . . . you wouldn't get nearly as much if they had bad press.

Oh, and then there's the thing about internet traffic like mentioned by Sherwood.

*removes tinfoil hat*

Conspiracy theory time over now, continue
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, how did my little innocent curiosity trigger this flaming war?
confused_face(1).gif

NO flame war at all man nothing but people sharing opinions it is all good I take no offense

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #85 of 111
Quote:

As a reviewer if you are indeed a good writer(I don't know what you have written send me a sample I genuinely would like to read some) can easily give negatives to a product while not pissing off the manufacturer. There are very easy ways of reviewing a product and informing the public of its draw back without saying it is an outright piece of crap. Unless it is an outright piece of crap in which case any self respecting editorial writing individual wouldn't give a crap if the manufacturer ever sent them anything again if they made them not speak truth. But every single career choice has its sell outs and for that it ruins it for those of us that can offer constructive criticism in a way in which benniffits both further iterations of the product and potential buyers. Let's be honest one persons con is another pro.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #86 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Except just move straight to the banning process. Me thinks he is beyond the remedial phase but I don't care whether he stays or goes.

To me workplace safety is a big thing. To me you cannot be a productive and useful member of society unless you are operating in a safe manner. And if I rubbed you the wrong way, that's good.

No canadian love for a fellow canadian eh? My goodness man you have some repressed anger issue to deal with ban me for making a post that gets the forums hopping with discussion. You can have your opinion about safety all you like but telling people to ban me for making a post about speakers in a friggin audiophile forum with no other motive other than what people think of wood versus MDF and what they think of speakers that I found to be unique is kinda senseless.

At least take a look at this video: How To Behave On An Internet Forum (Technology & Cars: Social Networking) (NSFW)

And maybe if you were nicer to people with differences of opinion this wouldn't be true:
frozen.jpg

I say this as a joke man I got nothin against you I am just messign around but take it easy no need to get hostile I am sorry I took your opinion on public safety lightly. I myself have have close familly members fall prey to horrible careless accidents.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #87 of 111
Quote:

Actually there was a Canadian magazine, I think it was called Audio & Video Guide and their policy was to accept a product to review and if they didn't like it or felt it offered good value they would send it back and not post a review. Sort of like a weeding out process and allowed them to focus on products that they felt offered good value to their readers.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #88 of 111
Quote:

Actually there was a Canadian magazine, I think it was called Audio & Video Guide and their policy was to accept a product to review and if they didn't like it or felt it offered good value they would send it back and not post a review. Sort of like a weeding out process and allowed them to focus on products that they felt offered good value to their readers.

That is a good idea but on the other hand sometimes if you have nothing good to say it still needs to be said. Being an informative magazine means you need to be as unbiased as possible which can be very difficult. Let's be honest almost no product is complete crap there are pros and cons to everything

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #89 of 111
Quote:

No canadian love for a fellow canadian eh? My goodness man you have some repressed anger issue to deal with ban me for making a post that gets the forums hopping with discussion.

If you get banned it may be partially your fault, maybe because of a lack of common sense of what is or isn't allowed on this site - or on any forum for that matter. Besides, if you are banned you can still visit and read our insightful comments, you just aren't allowed to post.

But if you really want to get the forum hopping buy a pair of Bose 901's and take pictures of yourself fawning all over them.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #90 of 111
Quote:

If you get banned it may be partially your fault, maybe because of a lack of common sense of what is or isn't allowed on this site - or on any forum for that matter. Besides, if you are banned you can still visit and read our insightful comments, you just aren't allowed to post.

But if you really want to get the forum hopping buy a pair of Bose 901's and take pictures of yourself fawning all over them.

I talked to June the site owner when I first signed up and he knows exactly what I do we've been over this. And bose I will admit make some beautiful stuff and some horrible stuff but lets move on from the banning conversation if I get banned for this something is wrong with the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back