Very High end Speakers Boenicke audio
Mar 30, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #61 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would a serious craftsman have both a hole in his jeans and sandals on if he was doing serious machining on large and heavy blocks of wood. To me, it comes across as a FAIL.

Maybe it's different in Switzerland but in Canada even visitors are required to wear steel-toed boots and appropriate clothing if not for safety reasons than for insurance reasons. It's pretty basic workplace safety rules.

I do wood working in Canada last I check your don't need steel toe boots for carving wood. Those shavings just aren't heavy enough to do damage haha

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #62 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, these look high tech. Ive never heard a pair of esoteric priced speakers. What does a 20,000 dollar speaker sound like compared to a $2000 speaker?

Your Bang & Olufsen Penta 2 run about $4000 so you must know a bit about higher end speakers.

The W20's and W20SE's are more meant for loud speakers and the W10's and 18's are more for smaller rooms, intimate atmosphere, styled listening.

These speakers are built for wood wind and stringed instruments. Your Yo-yo Ma's and Classical music feels like it is reverberating off of your rib cage.

It is all personal preference some get just as much enjoyment out of a $2000 pair of speakers as they would these but if you are speaking in specific Genre's their is no comparison. The Raal Ribbons are also a major selling point to Boenicke Audio Speakers the mids and highes are incredible.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #63 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by munk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do wood working in Canada last I check your don't need steel toe boots for carving wood. Those shavings just aren't heavy enough to do damage haha

Believe whatever you want to, but I choose to believe there are lots of rules regarding workplace health, safety, first aid, worker's compensation and hazardous materials that companies are required by law be to in compliance with.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 111
Quote:

Believe whatever you want to, but I choose to believe there are lots of rules regarding workplace health, safety, first aid, worker's compensation and hazardous materials that companies are required by law be to in compliance with.

so because he was put into more commonplace clothing for a photoshoot, he's obviously violating workplace safety and that makes you not want to buy the speakers, purely because of the marketing photos? I assume you believe Tyll dresses up like the hulk everyday while he's working at HeadRoom (tyll, if you really do, I want vids
biggrin.gif
), and that Kenneth Grange wears his fedora 24/7 while working at B&W? c'mon man, its a marketing photo....
rolleyes.gif

oh, and even if it wasn't, you're telling me whenever you do ANY form of home improvement/repair project, you're FULLY tricked out in the latest OSHA certified protective wear? (do you wear shin gaurds, hearing protectors, eye cover, long sleeves, and proper boots whenever you run your lawnmower? how about wearing closed toe shoes, long sleeves, long pants, and a hair net whenever you make youreslf food? what about gloves for cleaning?)

@ the "whats a $20k speaker sound like compared to a $2k speaker"
I'd say "different", "better" is subjective imho, and once you've met "good", you're only talking about degrees of "difference" (i.e.: objectively prove that a K701 is inferior to an Edition 9, on a basis of price, its generally impossible, although if I asked you to objectively prove that a SkullCandy Ti was inferior to an Edition 9 on that same basis, you could probably find some support (for example, one of them can actually cover the full range of human hearing
wink_face.gif
))

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #65 of 111
Quote:

I am just awestruck I must say I honestly thought you were kidding before. Not to be an ass or anything but my god man no one is that serious...
ph34r.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #66 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so because he was put into more commonplace clothing for a photoshoot, he's obviously violating workplace safety and that makes you not want to buy the speakers, purely because of the marketing photos? I assume you believe Tyll dresses up like the hulk everyday while he's working at HeadRoom (tyll, if you really do, I want vids
biggrin.gif
), and that Kenneth Grange wears his fedora 24/7 while working at B&W? c'mon man, its a marketing photo....
rolleyes.gif

oh, and even if it wasn't, you're telling me whenever you do ANY form of home improvement/repair project, you're FULLY tricked out in the latest OSHA certified protective wear? (do you wear shin gaurds, hearing protectors, eye cover, long sleeves, and proper boots whenever you run your lawnmower? how about wearing closed toe shoes, long sleeves, long pants, and a hair net whenever you make youreslf food? what about gloves for cleaning?)

@ the "whats a $20k speaker sound like compared to a $2k speaker"
I'd say "different", "better" is subjective imho, and once you've met "good", you're only talking about degrees of "difference" (i.e.: objectively prove that a K701 is inferior to an Edition 9, on a basis of price, its generally impossible, although if I asked you to objectively prove that a SkullCandy Ti was inferior to an Edition 9 on that same basis, you could probably find some support (for example, one of them can actually cover the full range of human hearing
wink_face.gif
))

It is completely subjective I have heard some pretty horrible (in my opinion) "high end" speakers. Paradigm which a lot of guys here sport make a fantastic monitor will I say these are better for everyone? Nope but I like them for their unique characteristics a lower end speaker does not have (that I have found)

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #67 of 111
Quote:

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

He is presenting himself as a serious craftsman of top tier loudspeakers and the bottom half of him is shouting "I'm a joke". I think the trendy word is called "congruence" where the whole image has to be believable and to me he isn't. I think people look at a picture like that, it gets absorbed into the subconscious as being something "not quite right" about him and people without being aware of it have a negative perception of him and the product he is representing.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #68 of 111
Quote:

He is presenting himself as a serious craftsman of top tier loudspeakers and the bottom half of him is shouting "I'm a joke". I think the trendy word is called "congruence" where the whole image has to be believable and to me he isn't. I think people look at a picture like that, it gets absorbed into the subconscious as being something "not quite right" about him and people without being aware of it have a negative perception of him and the product he is representing.

whatever man, you're reading way too into this methinks

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #69 of 111
Quote:

I don't get any compensation. On my website my reviewers get to keep the products after they are reviewed (most of them) but we are unbiased and no matter what we never leave out any negatives. Review sites don't last long if they leave out important facts on products people wont read the articles anymore.

You need immediate reclassification as an MOT.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #71 of 111
Quote:

whatever man, you're reading way too into this methinks

Even if the owners of this company have deep pockets I don't see them staying in business once the novelty of their product wears off in two or three years.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #72 of 111
Quote:

Even if the owners of this company have deep pockets I don't see them staying in business once the novelty of their product wears off in two or three years.

There is no novelty they have been in business for 15 years and they own a record label. They are about to be features in stereophile, 6moons, and a ton of other publications over the next few months.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #73 of 111
These things smell terrible to me. The marketing fluff is astounding. The LAST thing you want in a speaker is "reinforcement" of a certain frequency. While the physical shape of the speakers seems fine, like any horn-loaded design, it is just foolish to build them out of something so impermanent and unpredictable as wood.

If that exact same speaker was built out of a more inert material, such as MDF or laminated wood, it would sound better and cost less. There are only two reasons I can think of to justify why a professional speaker designer would deliberately make an inferior product:

1) Simple ignorance of speaker design, or
2) A desire to capitalize on people with more money than sense.

None of this is to say that they don't sound good -- they may very well sound excellent. I'm simply saying that the choice of material has hampered their overall sound quality while driving up the price. Why would anyone want to be a part of that? There are plenty of truly well-engineered and wonderful-sounding speakers at that price point, so there's little reason to compromise sound quality and value for looks and sex appeal.

Moreover, Munk, you might be too new here to know the rules, but this is a big no-no. If you OWN a review site, then you have a financial stake in the success of certain products. On this site, individuals with financial interests in the products they are talking about are designated as "MOT"s, or "Members of the Trade". If you intend to post here as the owner of a review website, you need to register as an MOT before you continue. Otherwise, you run a very real risk of having your posts deleted and your account suspended.

Sorry for the bucket of ice water, but this thread needs cleaned off. Do I need to be a moderator to say that, Obobskivich?

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #74 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These things smell terrible to me. The marketing fluff is astounding. The LAST thing you want in a speaker is "reinforcement" of a certain frequency. While the physical shape of the speakers seems fine, like any horn-loaded design, it is just foolish to build them out of something so impermanent and unpredictable as wood.

If that exact same speaker was built out of a more inert material, such as MDF or laminated wood, it would sound better and cost less. There are only two reasons I can think of to justify why a professional speaker designer would deliberately make an inferior product:

1) Simple ignorance of speaker design, or
2) A desire to capitalize on people with more money than sense.

None of this is to say that they don't sound good -- they may very well sound excellent. I'm simply saying that the choice of material has hampered their overall sound quality while driving up the price. Why would anyone want to be a part of that? There are plenty of truly well-engineered and wonderful-sounding speakers at that price point, so there's little reason to compromise sound quality and value for looks and sex appeal.

Moreover, Munk, you might be too new here to know the rules, but this is a big no-no. If you OWN a review site, then you have a financial stake in the success of certain products. On this site, individuals with financial interests in the products they are talking about are designated as "MOT"s, or "Members of the Trade". If you intend to post here as the owner of a review website, you need to register as an MOT before you continue. Otherwise, you run a very real risk of having your posts deleted and your account suspended.

Sorry for the bucket of ice water, but this thread needs cleaned off. Do I need to be a moderator to say that, Obobskivich?

I already spoke with June and I never once specified which site I own for the specific reason I do not want to spam. I was just talking about the fact I would write a review I have no intention of posting links to my site in here.

I have no financial stake in how well these speakers do if they perform badly people still read the review. I do not get paid to write the review. And I definitely don;t get paid to write a "good" review.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #75 of 111
Quote:

I already spoke with June and I never once specified which site I own for the specific reason I do not want to spam. I was just talking about the fact I would write a review I have no intention of posting links to my site in here.

Fair enough. If you intend to keep your business and posting separated, then you are not an MOT. I know, for me, that line would be hard to hold, and MOT status is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back