Very good popular band with a poor recorded album: RHCP - Californication
Nov 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
californication.jpg

Unless I have a bad cd-rip, I find this album was badly recorded.
What do you guys think?

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 52
That album is a poster child for the Loudness War. Very badly mastered by audiophile standards. Unlistenably bad.

Scroll down to the bottom of the Wikipedia article and Californication is listed as an example of a "loud" album.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 52
Listen to the first few Oasis albums. All awful production.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 52
The Stadium Arcadium album has a vinyl release that is done with much better sound. I have both and never listen to the CD version. IIRC Steve Hoffman did the mix for the vinyl release.

RE: Californification, I can only listen to that one in the car with the top open. The first time I tried it through my headphones I thought that something was broken in my system. Just horrible.

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 52
Another big group with a very badly produced album:
Metallica - Death Magnetica

They must have used some type of compression or something, because eveything sounds like it's mixed with static. They finally come out with a decent album but it's now unlistenable because it just sounds so bad!

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 52
I don't understand why they do very bad recording/mastering or choose non-audiophiles to do this kind of work. This is a major band and the money is definetely there to invest in a great poduction. Unfortunately bad decisions are made.

Nov 28, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantmyf1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another big group with a very badly produced album:
Metallica - Death Magnetica

They must have used some type of compression or something, because eveything sounds like it's mixed with static. They finally come out with a decent album but it's now unlistenable because it just sounds so bad!

yeah same guy did slayer's new album... you can tell just by looking at it

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 52
The Metallica was much better as a Guitar Hero (or was that Rock Band?) add-on I've heard.

Ether Song by Turin Brakes is a different genre of music. A decent album marred by malignant volumetric sameness throughout.

Almost Here by Unbelievable Truth is mastered the way I wish all my music was mastered. It's like they don't even know what compression is and want to preserve every peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back