Very good popular band with a poor recorded album: RHCP - Californication
Dec 3, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tis true, got that vinyl rip of stadium arcadium, and even though its got a slight hiss, its night and day better than my lossless cd rips
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, and the records themselves are even tastier. Once I found out about this "pro mix" I haven't been able to listen to the CDs.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and the records themselves are even tastier. Once I found out about this "pro mix" I haven't been able to listen to the CDs.

if i had a record player i would be all over the 180gram limited edition version....mmmm....but im trying to save money and stick with collecting just cds, my wallets hurts enough already

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

if i had a record player i would be all over the 180gram limited edition version....mmmm....but im trying to save money and stick with collecting just cds, my wallets hurts enough already

That is a legit strategy, IMO. It is the one that I used for years.

That said, there are lots of threads over in the Dedicated Sources section that deal with low cost vinyl options. You don't necessarily have to spend tons of $$ to get into a nice sounding vinyl setup.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a legit strategy, IMO. It is the one that I used for years.

That said, there are lots of threads over in the Dedicated Sources section that deal with low cost vinyl options. You don't necessarily have to spend tons of $$ to get into a nice sounding vinyl setup.

yeah i figure i could probably get away with 300 or less, but i would only buy albums like Stadium Arcadium that have definitive increase in audio quality due to a different master used. I wouldnt buy vinyls just to have them instead of cds, so i dont know if the value is there for me..

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

yeah i figure i could probably get away with 300 or less, but i would only buy albums like Stadium Arcadium that have definitive increase in audio quality due to a different master used. I wouldnt buy vinyls just to have them instead of cds, so i dont know if the value is there for me..

Fair enough
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #36 of 52
I've owned Californiacation since the album came out and have only really listened to it on cheap headphones or stock car stereo systems in the past. After reading this here I had to listen with some decent headphones and I agree the sound quality sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. It's funny how if you listen to a crap recording on crap equipment then you can't tell the difference, but if you listen to it on better equipment you can really see the flaws.

Jan 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #37 of 52
Muse, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned Californiacation since the album came out and have only really listened to it on cheap headphones or stock car stereo systems in the past. After reading this here I had to listen with some decent headphones and I agree the sound quality sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. It's funny how if you listen to a crap recording on crap equipment then you can't tell the difference, but if you listen to it on better equipment you can really see the flaws.

I think that's the point of these s%&ty mixes. That, and making sure your son doesn't sound less loud than the next one on the radio.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While their first and third albums are similar to the Slayer waveform (although Definitely Maybe at least doesn't clip), the results for tracks from Morning Glory are... interesting. There's no clipping, but the waveform is very limited:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...l/Oasiswav.jpg

It is still clipped,it's that the gain has been toned down after the clipping has occurred to try and restore some sort of sanity to the sound but the damage has already been done. I do listen to Oasis quite often and I have to say the mixing is a bit poor but it is a lot of fun to listen to them for the way they just throw on 30 guitar tracks for the fun of it. It makes for a poor sounding track sonically but from a musical perspective the sheer size of the song makes me crack a grin.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #40 of 52
I absolutely love Oasis as a band; unfortunately, they are probably the worst recorded/mastered group I have ever heard. I have all of their albums, and many on vinyl. The vinyl usually sounds much better but still pretty awful compared to something like pink floyd or depeche mode, both of which are generally very well recorded.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 52
I can listen some kind of hiss and clicks on the last of Alice in Chain, Black Gives way to Blue,
I really like the way it sounds and it doesn't seem too compressed,
but there are these strange clicks all over the album, I ripped twice, but the same
its very clear at the end of track 1
is it bad recorded?

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #42 of 52
Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel is a victim of the same thing. Musically, I think it's one of the best things Depeche Mode has released. But the waveforms are atrocious; check them out for yourself if you get the chance. Sounds of the Universe isn't much better, and truth be told, it's probably worse.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Groomsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel is a victim of the same thing. Musically, I think it's one of the best things Depeche Mode has released. But the waveforms are atrocious; check them out for yourself if you get the chance. Sounds of the Universe isn't much better, and truth be told, it's probably worse.

I can only speak for the track Wrong, and that is very loud indeed (track gain -11.86 dB). In my modest collection, only the Kills' Midnight Boom has tracks that are even louder (one is at -13.97 dB!), but I think that was quite intentional.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisstyre56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a supposedly "unmastered" version of Californication floating around. I can't confirm the authenticity however...

This is true. I had a copy of the "pre-mastered" version before my hard drive died. Bummer...great album otherwise.

Anyway, the loudness on this album was intentional and any good rip will just confirm what is on the disc...they wanted it to sound purposefully hot, just like they blew out the contrast on the album cover photo. Artistic decision, I guess. Their album, their prerogative.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. I had a copy of the "pre-mastered" version before my hard drive died. Bummer...great album otherwise.

Anyway, the loudness on this album was intentional and any good rip will just confirm what is on the disc...they wanted it to sound purposefully hot, just like they blew out the contrast on the album cover photo. Artistic decision, I guess. Their album, their prerogative.

i hadnt ever even put that together like you did. Thats a very good point, and if its a stylistic choice like that i would have to back them on it. Just like i support directors in however they want the movie to look, even if its not perfect for HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back