Very basic question...What is a DAC amp?
Dec 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

fustercluck

New Head-Fier
Excuse my noobiness. But there's no better place to ask than here, right? (Actually, was wondering if there's any threads around here that explain all the basic audiophile stuff since a lot of it is confusing.)

Was talking about upgrading my computer's audio with someone and they mentioned getting a DAC amp. I already have a headphone amp and some nice headphones. Using an audigy 2 soundcard.

How would using a DAC benefit the audio coming from my computer? What else can you use them with? They can be used with or without a headphone amp to enhance audio in some way? Would the benefits be quite noticeable (they are rather expensive)? Thanks.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Try the Zero intro link in my signature for an example of something ultra-basic in terms of audio gear. For me, I learned a lot from it.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 15
An amplifier with a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) built into the same unit.
Like the HeadAmp Pico, RSA The Predator, and more...

You already have a DAC built into your audigy 2 soundcard, but an external DAC give you more options and if done right higher sound quality.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fustercluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the ZERO DAC is a DAC and a Headphone amp, but can't be both at the same time, either one or the other, right? Is that how they all are?

I still don't see what the benefit is.

No, the DAC feeds a signal to the amp. Some of them can be used independently, but that depends on the model and manufacturer.

You use a DAC to convert a digital signal to analog. A soundcard does this. However, computers are very noisy and add all sorts of RF (radio frequency) noise to the signal. The RF comes from the power supply, fans, and other parts of the computer.

So you use an external DAC to process the signal, thereby bypassing the noise inside the computer.

Another reason to use an external DAC is because the ones on soundcards (generally) are cheap and don't sound very good. So you'd get rid of the noise and have a better DAC converting the digital signal.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 15
Ok, thanks for explaining everyone.

Sounds to me like a DAC comes in behind headphones and a headphone amp in importance.

Rather...

1. Great set of headphones
2. A headphone amp if you want one
3. A DAC if you're really serious
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fustercluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the ZERO DAC is a DAC and a Headphone amp, but can't be both at the same time, either one or the other, right? Is that how they all are?

I still don't see what the benefit is.

Its both, at the same time.
The DAC take digital signal and convert it into analog signal (as the name day), then feed this into the headphone amplifier internally.

A DAC is required when using a computer source. Its just a matter of using one built into the computer or an external one. They all have their pros and cons.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 15
Actually IMO the amp is the least important of the three. I have always felt that input ant output were the two more critical elements. In our hobby that would mean the DAC (or a CDP) and the heaphones.

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually IMO the amp is the least important of the three. I have always felt that input ant output were the two more critical elements. In our hobby that would mean the DAC (or a CDP) and the heaphones.

I guess the importance of a DAC will vary person to person. Does the sound really improve a lot going through a DAC rather than a sound card?

Dec 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 15
The source is the most important thing. All the amp does is amplify the source, so a bad source means the amp will be amplifying bad sound and, if you've spent all your money on the amp, you've wasted it.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify, you don't need one for an iPod, right?

Correct!
Cause an iPod don't have digital out (not counting Wadia 170i and like), and hence you wont be able to hook up a DAC amp.

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The source is the most important thing. All the amp does is amplify the source, so a bad source means the amp will be amplifying bad sound and, if you've spent all your money on the amp, you've wasted it.

My source is fine though. Just an Audigy 2 ZS but it does the job. So maybe it wouldn't be a necessity for me, but maybe I'd notice a big difference, dunno.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 15
I used to have an Audigy 2 and thought it sounded great...until I got an Emu 0404. Blew it away.

And I don't even use an external DAC from the digital out on the sound card. It just goes sound card>>>>analog out>>>to amp.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 15
I have a question...though I suspect I know the answer...

Does using a DAC negate the source? -- Meaning, the CD player just reads the raw 1's and 0's -- neither adding or subtracting anything -- just passing along the raw data -- and the DAC does all the work?

All the magic or non-magic happens in the DAC right? So if you're using a DAC you're bypassing the CD player audio function. How can the CD player affect the sound at all if there is no sound? It's just data. It can't misread data...it's either a 1 or a 0. There's no room for interpretation.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back