VentureCraft GO-DAP: Design Ingenuity Makes An Awesome iPhone Rig
Dec 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #47 of 80
 In that case I find your claim of no sonic improvement odd since every other review has claimed a marked improvement over the basic headphone out(and my personal experience is exactly the same).. Of course this amp will be an under performer compared to a high end dedicated amp thats just how it works.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #48 of 80
Quote:
When I want to relax, I sometimes listen to recordings of nature sounds by Naturespace (check out their iPhone/iPod app in the App Store, which is what I use, and for which there are exclusive tracks to buy). Using a type of binaural recording method that Naturespace calls "Holographic Audio," the imaging on some of the tracks can, through good systems, be outrageously immersive. (It also helps that Naturespace uses much longer loops, not to mention far better recording quality, than any other such tracks I've been able to find, and I've looked.) One of my favorite tracks is one titled "Loki," which includes the sounds of wildlife and insects at night, rain and trickling water, and rolling thunder--much of it happens out-of-head if your system does it right. "Loki" through the HD598 via the GO-DAP is far more you're there than through the iPhone alone, with more happening outside of the head. It's awesome. Seriously awesome. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch--and could use an occasional meditative state to calm your mind (or just some gorgeous ambiance to work to)--download the NatureSpace app, and, from there, sample and grab some tracks, starting with "Loki."

Jude, thanks for the great introduction on Naturespace. I have been collecting these ambience apps and this is by far the best.

It seems that the Headphone, not Earbud, mode is best with the ES5. It is incredible how far outside the head the sound gets. (Edit: I visited the Naturespace site and indeed one is meant to use the full spectrum Headphone mode with IEMs.)

Loki is a good recommendation. Any other favourites?

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #49 of 80
Funny you should post this now, as, at the moment I read your message, I was listening to Naturespace through the GO-DAP driving my LCD-2.  I'm glad you like Naturespace, too!  I can't say I'm surprised--as you've figured out, the sound quality is out of this world.  Like you, I've tried others, and, as you said, it is the best I've used by far.

Yes, headphone mode is best for me, too.  I believe the earbud mode was optimized for the limited abilities of the came-with-it white earbuds, and other not-hi-fi pieces; and the other mode (headphone mode) is the straight dope (for more capable headphones).  The Naturespace recording engineer, John Buehler, is intensely passionate about what he's doing.  He even recorded the Michael Arnopol Trio at CanJam 2010 (Chicago), and I very much want to hear how his recording turned out, as he used one of his Naturespace recording setups to do it, and I believe he was either recording to 24/88 or 24/96 (which is, if I recall correctly, how they capture the nature sounds used in the Naturespace tracks).

As for other tracks I like:  I'm partial to the storm sounds.  "Odin" has amazing, distant, long, rolling thunder--it's more subtle than Loki.  "Thor" brings the storm and rain sounds nice and close.  "Aegir" brings mid-distance storm sounds atop wind and crashing waves--it has nice creaking hull sounds, too (at least that's what it sounds like to me).  "Thor," "Odin," and "Aegir" do not have the wildlife sounds that Loki does.

I didn't think I'd like the tracks that have relaxing electronic sounds/melodies mixed in, but, as it turns out, I do like some of those a lot, too ("Newton Under Tree" comes to mind).  I find "Brainwash" very nice, too.  It's a track of consistent rushing, burbling river/stream sound.  "Tears Of Asgard" is very subtle, very mellow, very relaxing water sounds.  There are others, and I should probably write this up in its own thread at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jude, thanks for the great introduction on Naturespace. I have been collecting these ambience apps and this is by far the best.

It seems that the Headphone, not Earbud, mode is best with the ES5. Have you found the same? It is incredible how far outside the head the sound gets.

Loki is a good recommendation. Any other favourites?

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #50 of 80
Quote:
Funny you should post this now, as, at the moment I read your message, I was listening to Naturespace through the GO-DAP driving my LCD-2.  I'm glad you like Naturespace, too!  I can't say I'm surprised--as you've figured out, the sound quality is out of this world.  Like you, I've tried others, and, as you said, it is the best I've used by far.

Yes, headphone mode is best for me, too.  I believe the earbud mode was optimized for the limited abilities of the came-with-it white earbuds, and other not-hi-fi pieces; and the other mode (headphone mode) is the straight dope (for more capable headphones).  The Naturespace recording engineer, John Buehler, is intensely passionate about what he's doing.  He even recorded the Michael Arnopol Trio at CanJam 2010 (Chicago), and I very much want to hear how his recording turned out, as he used one of his Naturespace recording setups to do it, and I believe he was either recording to 24/88 or 24/96 (which is, if I recall correctly, how they capture the nature sounds used in the Naturespace tracks).

As for other tracks I like:  I'm partial to the storm sounds.  "Odin" has amazing, distant, long, rolling thunder--it's more subtle than Loki.  "Thor" brings the storm and rain sounds nice and close.  "Aegir" brings mid-distance storm sounds atop wind and crashing waves--it has nice creaking hull sounds, too (at least that's what it sounds like to me).  "Thor," "Odin," and "Aegir" do not have the wildlife sounds that Loki does.

I didn't think I'd like the tracks that have relaxing electronic sounds/melodies mixed in, but, as it turns out, I do like some of those a lot, too ("Newton Under Tree" comes to mind).  I find "Brainwash" very nice, too.  It's a track of consistent rushing, burbling river/stream sound.  "Tears Of Asgard" is very subtle, very mellow, very relaxing water sounds.  There are others, and I should probably write this up in its own thread at some point.

Thanks. As it turns out, I was already downloading Thor when I read this reply.  :)

A dedicated thread with your recommendations is a fine idea!

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #51 of 80
I liked the Wolves track from the itunes music store. Its not in either of the app its a stand alone album... There is another with crows thats pretty awesome too... I was avoiding the whole headphone amp deal till I saw how awesome the GO-DAP looked. Thanks Jude for both the GO-DAP review and the naturespace  recommendation. I like "Aegir" better than "Loki" and yes it is hull and sails you are hearing as well on "Aegir" its on a boat.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #52 of 80
Thanks for the nice comments, Kodan420.  And thanks for the "Aegir" clarification--I think I'd rather listen to it on Naturespace than be on a boat on rough waters that sounds that creaky. 
biggrin.gif

I really enjoy "Aegir" too.  For whatever reason, I think I like the nighttime critter sounds in "Loki," though, which might be why I come back to that track more than any others.

Quote:
I liked the Wolves track from the itunes music store. Its not in either of the app its a stand alone album... There is another with crows thats pretty awesome too... I was avoiding the whole headphone amp deal till I saw how awesome the GO-DAP looked. Thanks Jude for both the GO-DAP review and the naturespace  recommendation. I like "Aegir" better than "Loki" and yes it is hull and sails you are hearing as well on "Aegir" its on a boat.

Dec 29, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #53 of 80
Jude you are a wussy man.... Wood boats sound like that and Id rather be on a wood boat that naturally floats than some of the metal ones that only float cause of their shape. :) If you like the night time critter sounds you GOTTA get the wolves track out of the regular music store. Its pretty neat. I thought at one point I was going to be trampled by a horse. Kinda scared me.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #55 of 80
So somebody with some credentials agrees with me about the GoDap and my w3's and UM2's  (in ear monitors ) 
I know  I didn't buy the GoDap with the intention of using them with full sized headphones , I have a desk top unit for that .

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #56 of 80
First off I have to ask how this new reviewer has any more or less "credentials" than Jude when it comes to reviewing headphones/audio products. I would say that even this review says in several spots that there is an improvement with IEMs but there was a more noticable improvement with larger headphones.

Quoted from the review

"All in all, VentureCraft’s Go-Dap is a useful and clever accessory to the iPhone 3G/GS. It improves the sound (substantially with headphones) and will give you decent backup battery power as an added bonus. Maybe you really can have your cake and eat it too."

and

Pros:
  1. Headphone audio improvements dramatic
  2. Solidly built
  3. Lightweight
Cons:
  1.  Audio improvement not as dramatic with in-ear monitors or earphones

and

" Pleased  because the sound was a bit fuller and more refined, like a harsh-like ”haze” had been removed. It was especially noticeable on AC/DCs “Back In Black.” The Go-Dap just took away a brightness that was not pleasant and made the song warmer in the process. But I was also disappointed because overall, these were subtle differences. "

Saying that the audio improvement is not as dramatic is not the same as saying there was not an improvement at all. He even says there were differences but they were subtle on high end IEMs but that it was a better match to larger headphones. Sorry that you dont notice an improvement with your GO-DAP but I fail to see how this review agrees with you.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #57 of 80
Well then i am sorry if i implied that the reviewer had more credentials then the original . I was the only one here that did not agree that there was a sonic improvement with the go Dap and i was happy to see that someone else saw it more or less like i did . If you like your GoDap , Good for you !  I felt like i wasted my money on this one . 

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #59 of 80

Hi, everyone

Below are the frequently asked questions to our customer support so far.
We would like to give you a right direction here.

1. Can I use Go-Dap with my iPhone4?  
No, Go-Dap is only compatible with iPhon3GS or 3G.

2. Can I use Go-Dap with my iPod Touch?
Technically Yes.
VentureCraft as a manufacturer does not recommend or guarantee its product safeties, but Go-Dap can be used with GO-DAP for listening to the music.
You need to lay urethanes or other soft cloths between the GO-DAP and back side of the iPod Touch in order not to have 30-pin connectors bent or no to have your iPot Touch fall down to the ground.

3. When is the new model for iPhone 4 coming?
We are going to release a new product for iPhone 4 around spring.
It includes a digital amp and DAC functionality.
We will make a new product announcement at Head-Fi soon.

If you are interested in our new product for iPhone4 and would like to try its sound as soon as possible, come visit our booth at iPavilion at CES 2011 at Las Vegas!
We are going to exhibit a new model and hold a listening demonstration there.

Have a happy new year!

VentureCraft

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #60 of 80

I disagree that there is any sound of sails on this track ( and the rendering with the ES5 is pretty detailed). Great track though. All of the thunder and rain tracks are good.

Jude, I do hope that you will start that dedicated Naturespace thread. I am already heavily invested in this (damn you!) and would love a place to share track reviews. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back