Venture Electronics VE Zen 2.0 impressions and discussion thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #406 of 560
I just need these again (sooner eventually) because I just snagged a Shanling M3 which pairs superbly well with this! The DAP costed $191 (us dollar). Figured I'd let you guys in on the deal.

M3 is a great dap which offers a neutral sound, airy highs (AMBIENCE), control and SUPERB decay (notes die smoothly into black darkness in the most natural way possible.

Glad you're liking the M3, bro. Very nice first DAP from Shanling!

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #407 of 560
Glad you're liking the M3, bro. Very nice first DAP from Shanling!

Thank you!  I easily would choose Zen 2/ Shanling M3 combo >  FLC8s/Shanling M2 because of my preference of the natural sound. Depending on how I feel about it, I might just sell everything else and call it a day...but that's never easy when you're a member of Head-Fi!

Seriously Nick, I really appreciate you let me try them out. M3 is old model but it does the job really well. -1TrickPony 

ps. see what I did there? Cheers to you and everyone that contributes to this amazing community. Happy New Year!

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #409 of 560
Quick question.  I have a pair of VE Zen 1.0 that I got new a while back directly from Lee.  However, I almost never use them. Originally I was going to do a review but found that the earbuds simply don't stay close enough to my ear canal so I kept loosing bass response. They would lean away from my ear canal by a few millimeters. To sound good, I had to hold them in physically.  I tried a number of different solutions including clips etc - but just could not get them to work.  When I held them to my ears though, though sound fantastic.  I originally had 3 pairs and sold two because my sons also could not have stay close to the ear canal - perhaps a family trait....:)  I've kept my one pair really more out of sentimental reason than anything as Lee was such a gentleman.  

One of my son has a pair of Creative Aurvana Air. It doesn't hold a candle to the Zen BUT the clips work amazingly well to keep the phones to our ear.  I seriously thought about just ripping that pair apart and somehow clue that clip to my Zen but never quite had the guts to sacrifice a $60 earphone just to make my Zen work. 

Anyways, I happen to just find out that there is a version 2.0 and then going online, find that the v2.0 is supplied with these odd looking curved hollow center black plastic parts labelled sX1 and LX1.  Is that a clip that holds the earbuds right up to the ear canal?  Does it work for you guys?   And how would I even search for something like that on ebay or alibaba? 

I saw that here: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud/32302987270.html

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #410 of 560
Quick question.  I have a pair of VE Zen 1.0 that I got new a while back directly from Lee.  However, I almost never use them. Originally I was going to do a review but found that the earbuds simply don't stay close enough to my ear canal so I kept loosing bass response. They would lean away from my ear canal by a few millimeters. To sound good, I had to hold them in physically.  I tried a number of different solutions including clips etc - but just could not get them to work.  When I held them to my ears though, though sound fantastic.  I originally had 3 pairs and sold two because my sons also could not have stay close to the ear canal - perhaps a family trait....:)  I've kept my one pair really more out of sentimental reason than anything as Lee was such a gentleman.  

One of my son has a pair of Creative Aurvana Air. It doesn't hold a candle to the Zen BUT the clips work amazingly well to keep the phones to our ear.  I seriously thought about just ripping that pair apart and somehow clue that clip to my Zen but never quite had the guts to sacrifice a $60 earphone just to make my Zen work. 

Anyways, I happen to just find out that there is a version 2.0 and then going online, find that the v2.0 is supplied with these odd looking curved hollow center black plastic parts labelled sX1 and LX1.  Is that a clip that holds the earbuds right up to the ear canal?  Does it work for you guys?   And how would I even search for something like that on ebay or alibaba? 

I saw that here: 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud/32302987270.html

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Those concha fins come with the EX Pack accessories, can order EX Pack seperately (if not on ali then the VECLan website, or at the very least can order as an add-on with a Monk+) . There are other brands like Earhoox, but I do not know if they fit or not. Fins can be helpful but depends on your ear anatomy really.

I have seen pictures of multiple foam donuts on earbuds, a bit silly perhaps but maybe the additional thickness could help along with an EQ bass boost?

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #412 of 560
Hey guys. I'm a FiiO X5ii owner and thinking about a Zen V2 - not the black edition - just standard. Seems to be a difference of opinion about using amps with the Zen. I don't usually need too much volume, so will probably be able to do without? Any thoughts?

Out of interest (and forgive my ignorance), what gear would you need to be using to need 2.5 or 3.5mm TRRS plugs?

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #413 of 560
Hey guys. I'm a FiiO X5ii owner and thinking about a Zen V2 - not the black edition - just standard. Seems to be a difference of opinion about using amps with the Zen. I don't usually need too much volume, so will probably be able to do without? Any thoughts?

Out of interest (and forgive my ignorance), what gear would you need to be using to need 2.5 or 3.5mm TRRS plugs?

Zen needs to be amplified to be fully functional it doesn't have anything to do with loudness. And the trrs plugs are fir balanced amps. If you plan to use balanced in the future you should just get them is balanced and use the adapter until you upgrade.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #414 of 560
Zen needs to be amplified to be fully functional it doesn't have anything to do with loudness. And the trrs plugs are fir balanced amps. If you plan to use balanced in the future you should just get them is balanced and use the adapter until you upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

There are way too many amps on here. With the cost of the Zen and a Fiio X5ii in mind are there any particular amps I should be having a look at?

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #418 of 560

Thanks for the info.

There are way too many amps on here. With the cost of the Zen and a Fiio X5ii in mind are there any particular amps I should be having a look at?

The VE RA plus is the amp I use and love it. Lee will also give you a discount fir being a zen owner.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #419 of 560
Yep
13923376_1123511684409976_6881262266617942827_o.jpg

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #420 of 560
I thought it unusual to see amp with 9v batteries! I assume that rechargeables are fine with it? Additionally, the difference between the plus and the 2.0 is over $200. What does the 2.0 bring to the party?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back