Venture Electronics VE Zen 2.0 impressions and discussion thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #421 of 560
I thought it unusual to see amp with 9v batteries! I assume that rechargeables are fine with it? Additionally, the difference between the plus and the 2.0 is over $200. What does the 2.0 bring to the party?

Let me give you the analogy:

RA+ ~ Monk+
RA2 ~ Zen 2

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #423 of 560
I thought it unusual to see amp with 9v batteries! I assume that rechargeables are fine with it? Additionally, the difference between the plus and the 2.0 is over $200. What does the 2.0 bring to the party?

Let me give you the analogy:

RA+ ~ Monk+
RA2 ~ Zen 2

Absolutely true. Which is why monk was switched from 32ohm to 64ohm.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #425 of 560
Looking to buy a VE Zen 2.0 and I just wanna make sure that this is the site for ordering (since the site looks kinda all over the place and the item description reads like someone typed it in a hurry lol):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud/32302987270.html

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #426 of 560
Looking to buy a VE Zen 2.0 and I just wanna make sure that this is the site for ordering (since the site looks kinda all over the place and the item description reads like someone typed it in a hurry lol):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-Zen-high-impedance-320-ohms-earbud/32302987270.html

That is the official store and you can also use veclan.com too.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #427 of 560

VE's item descriptions are a work of art :-D

Glad I clicked the link and read again though, forgot that one of the 3 monk+s they sent with the Zen was a Darth monk, another one for the collection!

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #428 of 560
I have decided to get a Monk to see how well they fit my ear before I order a Zen. After having paid out for a Trinity PM4 IEM that I find uncomfortable to wear in my ear (not the fault of the PM4, just IEMs in generally), this is probably the best idea.

Thanks for the advice given so far.

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #429 of 560
just so you know, monk sounds better with thin foam or imo donut foam.
Zen is meant to be used naked; it can feel a bit lose at first but get better with time; also it is packed with some accessories like the shirt clip wich i find extremely convenient :)

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #431 of 560
Both the monk+ and zen2 fit snugly into my ear, no room for any foam or doughnut. I made the cut and I'm very happy I did as both sound like a dream! :D

Regarding amps, at first I was connecting my zens to my magni2, but sound was very patchy, soaring with some and dull and dark with others...I still have no idea why. Frankly I get much better performance when I connect directly to my LG V20. My god, I have no idea what kind of juju Lee has put into these earbuds!

I'm very curious to see how the zens will pair up with tube amps. I don't own any and my budget is < $300 so any recommendations are welcome.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #432 of 560
I posted this in a separate thread but received no response.  Hope it is OK to post here in case you pros have any ideas. 

This is going to take some skill. 

I have a pair of VE Zen 1.0 that I've seldom used.  However, I stumbled on the VE Zen 2.0 thread and realized that the Zen 1.0 needs foams. Wow!  I'm stunned as to what the earbuds can do. Far better than I remembered, and I remember that they were remarkable even without the foams. Excellent bass, highs, resolution, transients.  And they don't put pressure on the side of my head like full sized headphones do. 

So, a bit curious I decided to pop the the front 'cap' to see what the drivers looked like.  The moment it came off, I had a sinking feeling- the drivers are actually fixed to the cap.  So both extremely thin leads to the voice coil got pulled apart.  I took my 10X jeweler's loupe and see the thin leads. Everything else is perfect - I very very carefully put the cap back and removed it again to make sure that structurally, there's no damage to the coil, magnet or diaphragm.  The wire is amazingly thin - like a hair.

I don't have the technical ability to solder these very thin leads together. 

Anyone capable of making this type of repair without doing any further damage?

Sigh...

Thanks in advance for any help.
UL

ps: Thinking more about it today, I think I can possibly make the repair but need to cut out a part of the housing so that I can make the solder, and then perhaps patch it back up with something like Sugru.  But of course, rather have a pro do th repair if anyone is well versed with repairing ultra thin wires. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #433 of 560
There are some professional modders around head-fi, probably someone like PETEREK could help you out?

could also ask over on the earbuds DIY thread and the DIY IEM threads

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #434 of 560
Decided to buy the Zen 2.0 a few months after owning (and being impressed) by the Monk Plus. I love how the Monk Plus sounded, but I wanted an airy sound, less midbass, and a bigger soundstage. From the reviews, I guess the Zen 2.0 fits the bill. Can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

Lee's strategy of selling the Monks at a dirt cheap price as a gateway to its higher-priced gear worked!

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #435 of 560
Decided to buy the Zen 2.0 a few months after owning (and being impressed) by the Monk Plus. I love how the Monk Plus sounded, but I wanted an airy sound, less midbass, and a bigger soundstage. From the reviews, I guess the Zen 2.0 fits the bill. Can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

Lee's strategy of selling the Monks at a dirt cheap price as a gateway to its higher-priced gear worked!

good choice, zen is amazing with the right amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back