Venture Electronics Thread
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #676 of 784
Defiant with LPS is my end game Solid State Amp.

No Mqa, no displays, Vintage Style but OMG.
Think a Ra2bfe on steroids, this is Defiant
I will probably end up buying the Defiant. The RA2B-FE and Prime DAC combo is already amazing, especially for the price point. It sounds organic, lively and dynamic but analog at the same time, which is a rare thing these days.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #677 of 784
I will probably end up buying the Defiant. The RA2B-FE and Prime DAC combo is already amazing, especially for the price point. It sounds organic, lively and dynamic but analog at the same time, which is a rare thing these days.
Let me know when you want to sell that RA2B-FE and I will probably take you up on it... 🤝 - Portugal to Spain shipping - super easy

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #678 of 784
Let me know when you want to sell that RA2B-FE and I will probably take you up on it... 🤝 - Portugal to Spain shipping - super easy
I'm not sure yet but I'll let you know if I decide to sell the RA2B-FE/Prime DAC combo.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #679 of 784
I can't believe how a 50usd Headphone with monk upgraded cable can sound this way on mids.

SuperNova with monk silver cable is The perfect Present for Christmas......

1701626463563.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #680 of 784
First impressions of the Monk A1 and Odyssey Retro after about an hour:

I like them! A1 has a Monk Lite 40ohm-style wide soundstage. Soundwise maybe reminds of the older Monk Plus (some version pre-MP5 that I have) with a good midrange and enough low and high end. Nice and smooth so far. Reminds me of listening to "crappy" retro headphones like the Koss x Retrospekt P/21 but good.

Never got to experience the VE Odyssey, but Odyssey Retro deemphasizes the high end and brings out some big lows, which as I understand it is similar to the mellowness of the original Odyssey. For a supposedly temporary throw-in bonus, this thing is great. Understandably paired together with the A1 this way because they really synergize.

Of note, I'm not able to get the Odyssey Retro working in USB Exclusive mode with UAPP. Doesn't seem to have an onboard volume control like other dongle DACs I've used and just plays through the system audio on my phone. Saw somebody on FB say the same thing, so I think that's just how this dongle works. Regardless, still a fan.

Edit: Maybe it is working in USB exclusive mode? But no onboard volume control and using the system volume instead. Just never had a DAC do that. Nevermind, I don't think I know what I'm talking about 🤪

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #681 of 784
First impressions of the Monk A1 and Odyssey Retro after about an hour:

I like them! A1 has a Monk Lite 40ohm-style wide soundstage. Soundwise maybe reminds of the older Monk Plus (some version pre-MP5 that I have) with a good midrange and enough low and high end. Nice and smooth so far. Reminds me of listening to "crappy" retro headphones like the Koss x Retrospekt P/21 but good.

Never got to experience the VE Odyssey, but Odyssey Retro deemphasizes the high end and brings out some big lows, which as I understand it is similar to the mellowness of the original Odyssey. For a supposedly temporary throw-in bonus, this thing is great. Understandably paired together with the A1 this way because they really synergize.

Of note, I'm not able to get the Odyssey Retro working in USB Exclusive mode with UAPP. Doesn't seem to have an onboard volume control like other dongle DACs I've used and just plays through the system audio on my phone. Saw somebody on FB say the same thing, so I think that's just how this dongle works. Regardless, still a fan.

Edit: Maybe it is working in USB exclusive mode? But no onboard volume control and using the system volume instead. Just never had a DAC do that. Nevermind, I don't think I know what I'm talking about 🤪
lol the Odyssey Retro does not need USB exclusive mode. just plug and play.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #682 of 784
lol the Odyssey Retro does not need USB exclusive mode. just plug and play.
Right, it doesn't require it. I just haven't used a DAC that couldn't do it before.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #683 of 784
I received my A1's yesterday and the left channel is about half the volume of the right. I tried some burn-in, different sources, foams, still not right. I messaged Customer Service on their site and will report back. Only the 2nd time in 6 years I've had a set from any manufacturer with channel imbalance, so a pretty good run.

Dec 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #684 of 784
I received my A1's yesterday and the left channel is about half the volume of the right. I tried some burn-in, different sources, foams, still not right. I messaged Customer Service on their site and will report back. Only the 2nd time in 6 years I've had a set from any manufacturer with channel imbalance, so a pretty good run.
My set had a problem with the metallic A1 cylinder thing where the cable splits, similar to those pieces on the V2S and Go Final. It came unglued literally the moment I took it out of the bag. I contacted support too, just letting them know about it.

No channel imbalance that I can detect here.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #685 of 784
VE Customer Service responded and said they will send out a replacement immediately, once I cut up this one and send them a pic. So I’ve got that on my To Do list today. :)
Their CS always responds quickly and is much appreciated.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #686 of 784
VE Monk A1
Surprisingly good deal, to be a cheap earbud it sound quite full. Monk Plus sound thin in comparison.

Dongle that is bundled with A1 is also a fun one, could we call it LoFi instead of HiFi? 🤔 Seem to smooth the sound making it quite enjoyable and relaxing, not very high resolving to say it like that.

1000018619.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #687 of 784
VE Customer Service responded and said they will send out a replacement immediately, once I cut up this one and send them a pic. So I’ve got that on my To Do list today. :)
Their CS always responds quickly and is much appreciated.
Was given the same option but declined. My issue is annoying but mostly cosmetic so it doesn't make them not work for me.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #690 of 784
How something so "basic" sounds so good. "Retro" is the word exactly. Congratulations Venture, 10 dollars of enjoyment. (and thanks Charlyro222 :))
1000137965.jpg

Discovered this morning that Retro dongle is perfect for planar IEMs. It has a high noise floor but good dynamics and a full low end, both of which suit a typical planars low sensitivity and thinner/tighter low end.

Paired with the Shuoer S12 it really is a great match. The peaky top end is softened and the tone is more organic. Highly recommend.

The only thing you don't get is the spreading of the soundstage and some further dynamic control that you see when you fully power the S12 ie. from a desktop amp.

If VE could produce a balanced version of this dongle (even if it had to be bigger) I would be super happy and imagine it would be very successful.

Also, maybe a VE planar IEM?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back