Venture Electronics Thread
Dec 17, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #691 of 747
Discovered this morning that Retro dongle is perfect for planar IEMs. It has a high noise floor but good dynamics and a full low end, both of which suit a typical planars low sensitivity and thinner/tighter low end.

Paired with the Shuoer S12 it really is a great match. The peaky top end is softened and the tone is more organic. Highly recommend.

The only thing you don't get is the spreading of the soundstage and some further dynamic control that you see when you fully power the S12 ie. from a desktop amp.

If VE could produce a balanced version of this dongle (even if it had to be bigger) I would be super happy and imagine it would be very successful.

Also, maybe a VE planar IEM?

Wowww, you're right

20231217_220011.jpg

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #692 of 747
Damnit, you're all making me wish I could wear IEMs again.

But I simply can't. My ears now hate having anything stuck in them. Losing your hearing, even temporarily, is no fun.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #693 of 747
VE Customer Service responded and said they will send out a replacement immediately, once I cut up this one and send them a pic. So I’ve got that on my To Do list today. :)
Their CS always responds quickly and is much appreciated.
Just an update: received replacement A1 and it works perfectly. I really like the sound - haven’t had a chance to try it with the Retro dongle. VE Customer Service was top notch!

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #695 of 747
Has anyone compared the Defiant with the Mass Kobo 475 ?

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #696 of 747
Has anyone compared the Defiant with the Mass Kobo 475 ?
They have huge power differences. The 475 isn’t actually that powerful it just has good implementation.

The Defiant from what I know has loads of power with good implementation. Depends on what you’re wanting to run through them.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #700 of 747
My little gold brick (aka VE Prime Pure DAC Gold) is still performing brilliantly especially now with the newest addition to the chain a SACThailand Silk Classic TVA Passive Preamp... that is not TVA as in Time Variance Authority but rather Transformer Volume Attenuator. My tube amp is now set on unity gain (max volume).

Be warned the Prime Pure DAC runs 4.054 V on both 4.4TRRRS (4.4BAL) and 3.5TRS (3.5SE) outputs! Would love to chat with other Prime owners about their source and component volume settings.

Took me a lot of DACs, ranging from a ~US$50 Meizu HiFi Pro and ~US$80 Topping D10... to a ~$2000 Benchmark DAC2 D / DAC3 L (from my two-channel days) and Holy Audio Spring 2... and upwards to the~$13,000 Chord Dave (which I fortunately was able to borrow from a friend for a few weeks but found it did not synergize well with my setup), before I finally came upon the Prime on a complete lark when a friend encouraged me to take home and audition his standard edition Prime which immediately blew my pants off with it's ear friendly signature and synergy with my tube amp! I tend to not hear and/or distinguish a huge differences between DAC chips per se but rather do immediately detect 'listening fatigue' often times coupled with a headache/earache.
Bold Purple = Best Synergy w/ My Setup
Bold Black = Good Synergy w/ My Setup

Non-Bolded Black = No Synergy w/ My Setup
  • Benchmark DAC2 D (owned this - gifted)
  • Benchmark DAC3 L (owned this - sold)
  • Benchmark DAC3 HGC (auditioned)
  • Cayin RU6 (auditioned)
  • Cayin RU7 (auditioned)
  • Chord Dave (auditioned; a friend owns this and I honestly didn't like the pairing at all... thank goodness!)
  • Chord Hugo 2 (owned this - sold)
  • Chord Mojo (owned this - sold)
  • Chord Mojo 2 (FPGA; auditioned)
  • Chord Qutest (FPGA; auditioned)
  • Denafrips Ares II (owned this - sold)
  • FiiO Q11 (auditioned)
  • Gustard A26 (auditioned)
  • Gustard X16 (owned this - traded)
  • Gustard X18 (owned this - sold)
  • Gustard X26 (owned this - sold)
  • Holy Audio Spring 2 (owned this - traded)
  • iFi Audio Nano iDSD BL (Burr Brown; owned this - gifted)
  • iFi Audio ZEN DAC Signature V2 (Burr Brown; owned this - hammered it to death)
  • Meizu HiFi Audio Pro (CS43131; still own this)
  • Questyle M15 (auditioned)
  • Quloos MUB-1 (auditioned)
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS (owned this - traded)
  • Schiit Audio Bifrost 2 (auditioned)
  • Schiit Audio Modi Multibit (owned this - sold)
  • SMSL VMV D1 (owned this - traded)
  • SMSL VMV D2 (owned this - traded)
  • SMSL VMV D3 (auditioned)
  • SMSL M400 (owned this - traded)
  • SMSL SU-9n (owned this - sold)
  • SMSL VMV D1se (auditioned)
  • Sony NW-WM1A (S-Master HX; auditioned)
  • Topping D10 (owned this - gifted)
  • Topping D10S (owned this - gifted)
  • Topping D30 Pro (owned this - gifted)
  • Topping D90SE (owned this - traded)
  • Venture Electronics Prime Pure DAC (ES9018K2M; still own this)
I am still waiting to demo a Matrix Audio X-Sabre 3; Denafrips Pontus II/Venus II; Bryston BDA-3; Gustard R26; Luxman DA-250; Soekris DAC2541; and Schiit Audio Yggdrasil with the later two probably being the least likely to happen as they are hard to find over here in Asia. Really don't think I will seriously consider any DAC costing much over US$3,500 for my setup so there is not really much left for me to audition... thankfully the Prime Pure DAC is thus far serving me admirably.

IMG_4159.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #701 of 747
Apologies if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what are the Gear Codes and Points on the Veclan site for? Under each order I've placed it has a Create New Gear Code button, but I can't find any explanation on the site. Just curious. I e-mailed Customer Service too, but figure somewhere here would probably know as well. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #702 of 747
Made this account about a year ago asking what I should order for my birthday, and I'm back again. Got a lot of gear in the last year, so options are much more limited now.

At this point, what I already own from VE outnumbers what's left and could realistically purchase.

I'm most interested in the Master, but I don't hear much buzz about it. Low power requirements suit me since I'm typically listening with a Nintendo Switch, an Xbox One controller, or one of the VE dongles on my phone.

Next would be the Azure. I've been enjoying the SIE lately and the sound of the Monk Go Final, so it might be like the in-between of those.

I really enjoy the Monk Omega Pro, so the Monk Pro Vita seems like a good choice, but it's a lot of dough for something so similar to what I've already got.

Supernova is there I guess, but I feel like I'm already set with my Koss stuff and HD 560S as far as non-earbud/IEM options are concerned.

There's also the BIE, but it's definitely lowest on my wants list. Not crazy into IEMs to begin with.

Then there's the big spends. Grand Duke, Sun, Zen 3.0, and Zen SL are way out of the question. Same with the DACs and amps. Not interested in the Prime DAC and can't afford the rest.

That leaves Asura 3.0 and Zen 2.0.

I don't have anything from either line except for the Zen LL, which I think barely counts. They're both a bit pricey for what I'd like to spend, but if I'm reaching for something unique compared to what I own, those are probably the best choices.

Master is highest on my list for it's affordability, shell, and my understanding of the sound. Beyond that it's a toss up between wanting to stay inexpensive or blow it all on one big thing.

Would appreciate thoughts from all you experts. :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #703 of 747
Made this account about a year ago asking what I should order for my birthday, and I'm back again. Got a lot of gear in the last year, so options are much more limited now.

At this point, what I already own from VE outnumbers what's left and could realistically purchase.

I'm most interested in the Master, but I don't hear much buzz about it. Low power requirements suit me since I'm typically listening with a Nintendo Switch, an Xbox One controller, or one of the VE dongles on my phone.

Next would be the Azure. I've been enjoying the SIE lately and the sound of the Monk Go Final, so it might be like the in-between of those.

I really enjoy the Monk Omega Pro, so the Monk Pro Vita seems like a good choice, but it's a lot of dough for something so similar to what I've already got.

Supernova is there I guess, but I feel like I'm already set with my Koss stuff and HD 560S as far as non-earbud/IEM options are concerned.

There's also the BIE, but it's definitely lowest on my wants list. Not crazy into IEMs to begin with.

Then there's the big spends. Grand Duke, Sun, Zen 3.0, and Zen SL are way out of the question. Same with the DACs and amps. Not interested in the Prime DAC and can't afford the rest.

I don't have anything from either line except for the Zen LL, which I think barely counts. They're both a bit pricey for what I'd like to spend, but if I'm reaching for something unique compared to what I own, those are probably the best choices.

Master is highest on my list for it's affordability, shell, and my understanding of the sound. Beyond that it's a toss up between wanting to stay inexpensive or blow it all on one big thing.

I'm a big fan of the Asura 3.0 FE, very natural and full sounding earbud. Also perhaps have my faovorite shell from them. Recently loaned my Zen 3.0 and Asura 3.0 for a friend and he got himself his own Asura now.

Also there is coming a new earbud soon from them, not sure if its sVIP only info so I will wait about sharing.

-----------------------------------------------------

Venture Electronics Grand Duke + DUNU DUW-03 + HIBY R8 II
Todays late night listening setup, well deserving its name the GD. Grand indeed, might not be for everyone. Intense bassy sound with a large stage, intoxicating.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #704 of 747
Apologies if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what are the Gear Codes and Points on the Veclan site for? Under each order I've placed it has a Create New Gear Code button, but I can't find any explanation on the site. Just curious. I e-mailed Customer Service too, but figure somewhere here would probably know as well. Thanks!
gear code was part of a rewards program that was scrapped halfway. it was supposed to grant the person with the gear code the ability to get points if others used their code.

Feb 8, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #705 of 747

Monk Omega Pro has identical drivers to the MPV, but theres some differences with the tuning.
Master is more an in between kinda sound. works well for almost any genre, Asura 3.0fe is more suitable for vocals and string instruments, granted it is more expensive then the master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back