Venture Electronics Thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #587 of 784
soo i just received a package from lee again

quick impressions below

Monk A1 - definitely an upgrade from the prototype A0 some of us had. sound wise its closer to the A0S. probably the new all rounder bud from this new batch lee has made
IMG_20230911_232928_766.jpg

Monk Studio - kinda reminds me of the stage you get from the srh440. the cable feels softer and more manageable then the one thats on the Monk A1.
IMG_20230911_232928_291.jpg

And this is the Retro Odyssey, It has the sparks of what made the Odyssey HD so well loved.
IMG_20230911_232924_120.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #588 of 784
some thoughts on the Odyssey Retro and Monk A1

IMG_20230912_224703.jpg

- Odyssey Retro
works really well with older libraries, so things like MP3 or older files, looking at it on my pc it seems to be 16bit only. which is fine, since older files tend to sound bad with higher bit rates 😂.

it really is a blast from the past.

- Pairing with the Odyssey Retro (OR)

the Monk A1 is quite a treat,

The Monk A1 might just be my go to gaming buds, the unit i got has a mic built in, and it's quite clear. Unlike most inline mics where i had to talk quite loudly or clip it near my mouth it picks up my voice quite well just hanging in its default location.

- Comparing the Monk A1 and the Monk Plus (MP5) paired with Odyssey Retro

So comparing the A1 with the MP5 (For those who dont know the Monk Plus you buy now are the 5th incarnation of VE's starting gear, it has the VE logo on the Driver cover), over all the A1 is wider and not as in your face when compared to the MP5.

To put it simply its more laid back, but a touch more technical. Vocals are crisp, almost to the tune of the Monk SM but, just a touch more laid back. (Slight tangent here 😅)

Synth music also works well with the A1. Unlike the MP5 where it may sound a bit too strong in the lower end (bass) and can get abit muddy if under powered, the A1 on the other hand will be more mid centric but still detailed enough to follow up on the beats.
In summary i feel it carries the lows and highs well without being overly emphasized.

Lo-Fi, jazz and rap (not really my thing) also seems to do well with them

- Pairing with Abigail Pro (AP) and Megatron
So starting off with the Abigail Pro, A1 opens up even more. Highs and lows are more detailed.

And on to the Megatron, i feel that the megatron further enhances the clarity, and when used for gaming they are the perfect match.

- Personal take
-
It may not be everyone's cup of tea since there's a lack of treble extension or tons of bass, but it's perfect for gaming. Kinda like an inbetween tuning of the MP5 and Monk SM. Object placements are quite accurate, almost on the level of the old monk lite 40ohms. (Managed to clear an end chapter boss first try with this with a sub-optimal build)
That and its a plus that my ears wont bleed every time an explosion happens (Armored Core 6 lol)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #589 of 784
some thoughts on the Retro Odyssey and Monk A1

- Odyssey Retro
works really well with older libraries, so things like MP3 or older files, looking at it on my pc it seems to be 16bit only. which is fine, since older files tend to sound bad with higher bit rates 😂.

it really is a blast from the past.

- Pairing with the Odyssey Retro (OR)

the Monk A1 is quite a treat,

The Monk A1 might just be my go to gaming buds, the unit i got has a mic built in, and it's quite clear. Unlike most inline mics where i had to talk quite loudly or clip it near my mouth it picks up my voice quite well just hanging in its default location.

- Comparing the Monk A1 and the Monk Plus (MP5) paired with Odyssey Retro

So comparing the A1 with the MP5 (For those who dont know the Monk Plus you buy now are the 5th incarnation of VE's starting gear, it has the VE logo on the Driver cover), over all the A1 is wider and not as in your face when compared to the MP5.

To put it simply its more laid back, but a touch more technical. Vocals are crisp, almost to the tune of the Monk SM but, just a touch more laid back. (Slight tangent here 😅)

Synth music also works well with the A1. Unlike the MP5 where it may sound a bit too strong in the lower end (bass) and can get abit muddy if under powered, the A1 on the other hand will be more mid centric but still detailed enough to follow up on the beats.
In summary i feel it carries the lows and highs well without being overly emphasized.

Lo-Fi, jazz and rap (not really my thing) also seems to do well with them

- Pairing with Abigail Pro (AP) and Megatron
So starting off with the Abigail Pro, A1 opens up even more. Highs and lows are more detailed.

And on to the Megatron, i feel that the megatron further enhances the clarity, and when used for gaming they are the perfect match.

- Personal take
-
It may not be everyone's cup of tea since there's a lack of treble extension or tons of bass, but it's perfect for gaming. Kinda like an inbetween tuning of the MP5 and Monk SM. Object placements are quite accurate, almost on the level of the old monk lite 40ohms. (Managed to clear an end chapter boss first try with this with a sub-optimal build)
That and its a plus that my ears wont bleed every time an explosion happens (Armored Core 6 lol)

Your impressions are similar to my own on this one. A1 is warm-neutral and the vocals are lush with some competitive tech to back it up. Definitely one that suits jazz, imo.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #590 of 784
IMG_8505.jpeg

While I love my TGX Ear Desolation Sound very much my BAE is still the undisputed timbre king Venture Electronics Asura Pure White Shining. 🥰

I absolutely love any time I get to spend with these buds. They are so sublime. I still hope to hear the Zen SU someday.

Sep 12, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #591 of 784

While I love my TGX Ear Desolation Sound very much my BAE is still the undisputed timbre king Venture Electronics Asura Pure White Shining. 🥰

I absolutely love any time I get to spend with these buds. They are so sublime. I still hope to hear the Zen SU someday.

I have spent this evening with APWS, after a week or so without listening and I'm reminded why I love it so much. For my tastes, it is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing on this one and feel very fortunate to have it. Desolation Sound is more resolving over the whole frequency range but it doesn't have the 'musicality' (personal preference), vocal realism and instrumental timbre of the APWS. What I'm always impressed by is how the APWS throws vocals forward but is never boxy and shouty, nor harsh or edgy. Most sets that forward vocals this much manage the presence but not the control the APWS shows.

While the APWS is perfect/sublime/all the superlatives from a good DAP, if you ever get to run it through Defiant+Docking Bay it balances the signature better (imo) and improves dynamics. The Defiant leans warm and that matches well with the brighter, lighter qualities of the APWS. I'm sure it sounds great from the Mass Kobo but VE test their TOTLs via this setup so there's something to be said for that.

I come back to the APWS and I'm reminded just how little need there is to carry on 'the search'. I don't really know what I'm searching for beyond this sound and everything else seems a costly distraction at this point (enjoyable distractions ofcourse, but costly).

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #593 of 784
I have spent this evening with APWS, after a week or so without listening and I'm reminded why I love it so much. For my tastes, it is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing on this one and feel very fortunate to have it. Desolation Sound is more resolving over the whole frequency range but it doesn't have the 'musicality' (personal preference), vocal realism and instrumental timbre of the APWS. What I'm always impressed by is how the APWS throws vocals forward but is never boxy and shouty, nor harsh or edgy. Most sets that forward vocals this much manage the presence but not the control the APWS shows.

While the APWS is perfect/sublime/all the superlatives from a good DAP, if you ever get to run it through Defiant+Docking Bay it balances the signature better (imo) and improves dynamics. The Defiant leans warm and that matches well with the brighter, lighter qualities of the APWS. I'm sure it sounds great from the Mass Kobo but VE test their TOTLs via this setup so there's something to be said for that.

I come back to the APWS and I'm reminded just how little need there is to carry on 'the search'. I don't really know what I'm searching for beyond this sound and everything else seems a costly distraction at this point (enjoyable distractions ofcourse, but costly).
I echo your sentiments.

What does the docking bay provide for SQ? I haven’t ever heard of this…I’ve seen it in your signature but thought it was external of VE. I’ve been trying to reach wild Lee as I want the defiant and su but hard to get a solid reply.

Sep 12, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #594 of 784
The Docking Bay is a power conditioner / PSU and does seem to provide a blacker background with better dynamic control than Defiant alone (plugged via wall wart). It was created for the Defiant specifically. I'm far from an electrical engineer but I hear a difference and would recommend going the whole hog if Lee ever gets back to you.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #595 of 784
Thanks so much Ian!!
The Docking Bay is a power conditioner / PSU and does seem to provide a blacker background with better dynamic control than Defiant alone (plugged via wall wart). It was created for the Defiant specifically. I'm far from an electrical engineer but I hear a difference and would recommend going the whole hog if Lee ever gets back to you.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #596 of 784
Your impressions are similar to my own on this one. A1 is warm-neutral and the vocals are lush with some competitive tech to back it up. Definitely one that suits jazz, imo.
glad im not the only one lol. or else its me smelling my own fart 😂

Sep 15, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #597 of 784
New arrival!

I just gave them a quick preview and off to burn-in they went. First taster was highly positive.

20230915_095815.jpg

I've only got the VE Monk that came bundled with Prime DAC and RA2B-FE (unsure which Monk model this is precisely? SPC?) to compare them to.

20230915_101131.jpg

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #598 of 784
New arrival!

I just gave them a quick preview and off to burn-in they went. First taster was highly positive.

20230915_095815.jpg

I've only got the VE Monk that came bundled with Prime DAC and RA2B-FE (unsure which Monk model this is precisely? SPC?) to compare them to.

20230915_101131.jpg
Looks like Monk Plus SPC to me.

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #599 of 784
Another great option from VE. The Monk A1. After listening to DTE900 from SR & Hisenior T4, who have excellent timbre, I find myself almost blown away at the naturalness of the timbre especially from a ultra budget earbud.

While the treble lacks extension and it doesn't have deep lows, its perfectly balanced with crisp vocals, natural timbre, and decent soundstage.

Throw it on an amp and it opens up with more details, bass, & clarity. Its a very fun earbud to listen to.
20230915_214943.jpg

The Cello gave me goosebumps because I know how it sounds in real life and the A1 hits the nail on the head of how it suppose to sound like. I'm going to say it, its better than some IEMs I've heard.

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #600 of 784
New arrival!

20230915_095815.jpg

20230915_101131.jpg
its probably the monk plus spc with the new spc cable, should be a similar cable to the VE Master

Users who are viewing this thread

Back