Vegetarians
Jan 31, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #46 of 82
cajun: ironically I like wine because I never had it growing up. Our family never drank it. My parents don't really drink. I don't drink that heavily either (not much beer (anymore) and no hard liquor). I just like to have a nice wine every week or two. I figure I would rather have a good wine rarely than a cheap wine a lot. It makes it more of a treat. As for learning, that is the hard part. If you are interested, there is a lot of info to be had online. The best thing to do though, is to find a good wine shop (a real shop, not a section of a supermarket), and just go to the same shop the entire time. Make a realationship with the sommelier, and ask him for recommendations. Eventually (pretty quickly actually), you will find out in general what you like, and you can make better choices.

Mackay maus -- when I was not eating red meat, I could not get near a piece of anything other than well-done without shuddering. It is funny how you become accustomed to certain things. I will have a steak medium if I get one, but it still makes me shudder a little sometimes. Meanwhile I can gulp down raw fish and sea urchin roe by the truckload...go figure.

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Meanwhile I can gulp down raw fish

Which reminded me: I do enjoy an Asahi or Tsingtao when I have sushi. I picked up that habit pretty quickly after getting a taste for sushi, and now the meal doesn't feel right without it.

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr

Mackay maus -- when I was not eating red meat, I could not get near a piece of anything other than well-done without shuddering. . [/B]

yes stuartr-for me, raw hamberger is the worst-that thick coppery smell is hard to take.

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

that thick coppery smell

It's more like iron-y. Iron is a major component of blood, iron deficiency is the cause of the most common type of anemia. Red meat is one of the best sources of iron. Vegetarians, especially women, have to be VERY careful to have a balanced diet that includes enough iron-rich foods.

Link added.

P.S. Broccoli is high in iron!

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #50 of 82
I am vegetarian because I had no sex appeal when i ate meat, all those years ago (7? 8?...can't even remember, lol).

j/k

Jon: Actually, I think I have a decent diet. Daily rice+lentil combos (advantage of a south indian heritage); plenty of carbs, and, oh ya - excercise.

Everyone's surprised that I'm vegetarian around here......and, for some weird reason, I'm heavy.

I only have a 30 inch waist - and am 5'8''........

I weigh 137, tho. how come I am 10 pounds more than everyone?!......

Not that it affects me - just a curiosity of mine...why am i just...heavy?.....

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #51 of 82
My experience is that with a healthy vegitarian diet, I felt less bogged down. The overall feeling was very postive. I neither lost nor gained weight or strength that I could attribute to the diet itself. My main mode of exercise at the time was cycling 250-280 mi./week.

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Not that it affects me - just a curiosity of mine...why am i just...heavy?.....

???Heavy? 137pds at 5'8" That sounds a little... light... you need to bulk up those muscles little boy
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm 145pds and 5'8"...

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #53 of 82
For real, coolvij. I'm 5'8'', 170 lbs.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #55 of 82
mmm...meat....

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #56 of 82
I love vegetarian food. Problem is, I also like meat. I'm trying hard to give it up. My achilles' heel is a nice rare steak, all bloody and delicious...but I don't have stuff like that often. I could probably live off of rice, hummus, baba ghannouj, bread, vegetables, and stuff like that for the rest of my life without a care. But meat has been a part of my diet for all my life, and it's hard to give up when it's become that integral to your eating habits. But I'm working on it.

I don't think I could ever be a vegan though.
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
One of my greatest powers is being able to describe what food tastes like.

The 'Cajun' part of your name wouldnt have anything to do with it, would it?
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Cholesteral is good for you. It lines the inside of your arteries and reinforces them and it slows down all that blood that's rushing around in there and makes it go at a more leisurely pace.

BTW Total Cholesteral -- 160

Really?! Mine is 250
biggrin.gif

Feel good already
rolleyes.gif

George

ps. i weigh 172lbs and my height is 5'9"

Jan 31, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #60 of 82
well, this is in comparison to my classmates......I have a 5'9'' friend who ways less than me......

(gets on scale)

137 after lunch!

Yay.......

I guess I'm not a "man" just yet.

Wait....that's a good thing......that means I'm not done growing......BWAHAHAHAHA - I could hit six feet........then I'm gonna go to chych's house and see who needs to "bulk up."

BTW, dwhilkin and chych - how much of you is pudge?
wink.gif
j/k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back