Vegan friendly headphone list
Feb 13, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #136 of 284
I have no idea how far out they are, I went ahead with the current stock wood for the VC, “monkeypod.” I actually like all the various woods for different reasons, so said screw it and just go with what they’re currently using. That’s funny, I also have the 800S and find it extremely comfortable! But I have had my eyes on the Arya too.
I'm excited for you and those monkeypod to me look as great as most of the limited run woods, and would be definitely be lighter than the stabilized ones I have. Funny, the Arya is probably the one I'd most like to hear next, maybe even sell my 800 SDR for a used one. They seemed to have budged from $1200 used to $1000-1100 lately.

I follow all the ZMF threads closely, and they haven't announced when they'll be doing custom ones again, but regular ones are typically 8-12 weeks, but who knows right now.

What pads did you order with the VC? I have tried all the suedes except the BE-2, which I just ordered. So far my favorite is the Universe pads, but on the Verite Open I also really enjoy the BE-2.

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #137 of 284
I'm excited for you and those monkeypod to me look as great as most of the limited run woods, and would be definitely be lighter than the stabilized ones I have. Funny, the Arya is probably the one I'd most like to hear next, maybe even sell my 800 SDR for a used one. They seemed to have budged from $1200 used to $1000-1100 lately.

I follow all the ZMF threads closely, and they haven't announced when they'll be doing custom ones again, but regular ones are typically 8-12 weeks, but who knows right now.

What pads did you order with the VC? I have tried all the suedes except the BE-2, which I just ordered. So far my favorite is the Universe pads, but on the Verite Open I also really enjoy the BE-2.

I just followed the recommendation Zack emailed me for ordering, and chose the Auteur Suede and said 'Make it Vegan!" in my order notes :) Very much looking forward to getting them. For Hifiman, I recently got on the Adorama deal for the HE-560 V4 but returned them due to some issues. That's the 2nd Hifiman item I've had issues with new, which is a bummer because I otherwise enjoyed the sound. But, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm with the Arya.

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #138 of 284
You actually get 2 sets of pads, so I'd strongly suggest the Universe ones. You can just email them and they'll add it to the notes for your order. Not sure if they're still sending a link to the progress spreadsheet, but if so, the pad choices are noted there. With those 2 you'll have the vegan suede stock version. They don't make a suede Verite pad, but the suede BE-2 is nearly the same as the Verite. At least on the Open, the BE-2 pads narrow the stage a bit, but increase the details. I'd suggest that as a 3rd. The Suede Ori and Eikon for me aren't great on the Verite Closed, and Zach doesn't recommend either of them.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #139 of 284
Guys exciting news! I got word from April at hifiman that apparently Susvara leather is totally synthetic. So will be adding it to the list. Confirming with her that HE1000SE is also vegan. Its cool to have a true TOTL headphone on this list.

I knew when I bought my Hifiman headphones that they were vegan, but this just make them sound even better to me.

Thanks for this thread.

Feb 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #140 of 284
Hey don't know how i missed this but added Rosson Rad-0! It uses all synthetic leather. Quite beautiful designs too.

Wish Abyss guys would agree to making synthetic pads and head band. Doesn't seem like it would be very hard, especially on such an expensive headphone. I emailed DMS to see if he could talk to those guys about making it happen.

May 2, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #144 of 284
These were completely off my radar. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers. Here are the official specs:

1619944633110.png

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/Solitaire_P_GB.pdf

1619944880423.png

https://www.ta-hifi.de/wp-content/uploads/Solitaire_P_SE_GB.pdf

May 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #145 of 284
Another vegan headphones I just ordered, the Nectar Hive. The owner/builder said they contain no animal products when I asked about leather or protein leather being used.

Not a lot of info about these, but they clearly have some fans who prefer them over other much higher end Stax e-stats. Hoping I agree. Seems like all current Stax other than the L300 use leather. Even the SR-007/009 pads may say synthetic leather on some sites, but the reality is they use that and animal leather, which unfortunately I discovered after purchasing, thinking they were as advertised.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #146 of 284
Very grateful and RELIEVED for this thread!! I have been stressing the past few days: doing research on my own, reaching out to manufacturers, trying to narrow down my search for the ultimate pair of high quality headphones that are vegan friendly. All the emailing can be mentally exhausting, time consuming, and a roller coaster of anticipation, excitement and disappointment. I am beyond grateful that I stumbled upon this thread of very specific, like minded individuals. It is awesome to know I’m not alone in this research of what our options are.

I ended up going with Audeze LCD XC as my closed-back pair. Brand new would be $1300, got them used for $1000 on reverb. They are advertised as leather free and vegan. I already had a pair of $250 Beyerdynamic DT-880 semi open back (for vocal recording), and thankfully, according to this thread, they are vegan friendly. I was worried, doubting myself on the head strap. I can’t seem to find any higher quality semi-open backs, otherwise I would upgrade. Next, I will save up and get some high quality open backs. Probably some of the vegan advertised ZMF headphones that someone mentioned above. Kudos to 30 years vegan. I like the idea of supporting the ones that actually advertise as vegan.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #147 of 284
Very grateful and RELIEVED for this thread!! I have been stressing the past few days: doing research on my own, reaching out to manufacturers, trying to narrow down my search for the ultimate pair of high quality headphones that are vegan friendly. All the emailing can be mentally exhausting, time consuming, and a roller coaster of anticipation, excitement and disappointment. I am beyond grateful that I stumbled upon this thread of very specific, like minded individuals. It is awesome to know I’m not alone in this research of what our options are.

I ended up going with Audeze LCD XC as my closed-back pair. Brand new would be $1300, got them used for $1000 on reverb. They are advertised as leather free and vegan. I already had a pair of $250 Beyerdynamic DT-880 semi open back (for vocal recording), and thankfully, according to this thread, they are vegan friendly. I was worried, doubting myself on the head strap. I can’t seem to find any higher quality semi-open backs, otherwise I would upgrade. Next, I will save up and get some high quality open backs. Probably some of the vegan advertised ZMF headphones that someone mentioned above. Kudos to 30 years vegan. I like the idea of supporting the ones that actually advertise as vegan.
I felt the same way when I found this thread! Great work by some good people. I am also considering the Audeze for a closed back and hope you enjoy them! 30 years?! You’re a true OG. I will be getting there soon as this is my 12th year.

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #148 of 284
T+A Solitaire P and P-SE - both $3000 and both vegan.

Shoot ! I thought this was on the list, my bad. Added, thanks.

Btw guys please stop by my audio discord in my signature for more great discussion and friendly people.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #149 of 284
I suppose the HE500 are only in the Low End/Entry Level because of the price and not the performance, right? imo the HE500 are better than simple entry level. They should be midrange.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #150 of 284
I suppose the HE500 are only in the Low End/Entry Level because of the price and not the performance, right? imo the HE500 are better than simple entry level. They should be midrange.

Ya the tier list is based on price. There are people on my discord that put HD650 above Susvara :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back