Vegan friendly headphone list
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #106 of 284
Does anybody know if the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons are vegan friendly? The ad copy describes the ear-pads and the carry bag as being protein leather (synthetic) but mentions nothing about the headband. Is this protein leather too? Cheers.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #107 of 284
Does anybody know if the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons are vegan friendly? The ad copy describes the ear-pads and the carry bag as being protein leather (synthetic) but mentions nothing about the headband. Is this protein leather too? Cheers.
Protein leather can be made from egg shells. I think ZMF's protein leather is as such and the reason I've never bought any of those. I'd email Audioquest to be sure.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #110 of 284
Protein leather can be made from egg shells. I think ZMF's protein leather is as such and the reason I've never bought any of those. I'd email Audioquest to be sure.

Ya thats what stops me from putting the final d8000 on the list. Its head band is egg protein leather. MEH.

Makers need to transition to non leather options. Leather is so archaic, cruel and NOT NEEDED. So many amazing synthetic materials that are as good if not better.

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #112 of 284
I emailed Focal and they said that all headphones except for the Stellia are animal-product free.

Hifiman said the Arya uses no animal products as well.
Focal's page on the Utopia specifically mentions lambskin on the headphone pads.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #115 of 284
Hey guys, thanks for putting this together! I have some Senn 650s and a friend let me borrow the Focal Elex- which I thought was free of leather. I was also really curious about Dan Clark and Grado. I like the smaller companies and want to support them. So I guess I will start doing some researching! I’m thinking of spending up to $1k. But I may just stick with the Senn’s.

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #116 of 284
Hey guys, thanks for putting this together! I have some Senn 650s and a friend let me borrow the Focal Elex- which I thought was free of leather. I was also really curious about Dan Clark and Grado. I like the smaller companies and want to support them. So I guess I will start doing some researching! I’m thinking of spending up to $1k. But I may just stick with the Senn’s.
ZMF Atticus starts at $1100 but can be found for less used (though most used are not all suede). You could also score an HD800 used for under $1000 and even 800S occasionally.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #118 of 284
Update from Focal: "After consultation with our marketing department, all our HiFi headphones are made of leather, only the Listen is made of synthetic material." :xf_rolleyes:

Bunch of clowns. They just don't take this seriously so they will just spout whatever they want until you call them out.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #119 of 284
It’s too bad for Focal because I was seriously considering the Elex but now will move onto something else. I contacted Grado and they said they can do a Vinyl headband but the item will be custom and non-returnable. I’m also considering keeping my HD650s for rock and Jazz and getting a Classical only headphone to compliment it.

Oct 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #120 of 284
It’s too bad for Focal because I was seriously considering the Elex but now will move onto something else. I contacted Grado and they said they can do a Vinyl headband but the item will be custom and non-returnable. I’m also considering keeping my HD650s for rock and Jazz and getting a Classical only headphone to compliment it.
If it helps, I tried the Elex and thought it had a real tin can kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back