Vector Marketing
Jun 19, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 33
Another thing to consider would be to look for work in other cities. I don't know what the job market is like in the US, but in Vancouver *everywhere* is hiring.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 33
Do manual labor instead. Good steady wages and it feels good after a long day of work. I am / was in your position asking the same question about a month ago here and went with landscaping instead. I worked 11 hours today, after taxes thats like $120. Haven't looked back since. Vector relies on you scamming your friends and family and falling short there. A great scheme for the managers and some get lucky but I decided I didn't want to rip off family and friends and wouldn't want to put the no pay time into it.

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 33
I also got a position as a field canvasser for Environment Massachusetts, which is a grassroots nonprofit organization which is working to stop Global Warming. I would go door to door in neighborhoods in Eastern Massachusetts and try to get people to become members and donate. I would work from 1:45pm-10pm Monday to Friday, and would have to maintain an average weekly quota of $110 each shift, and there is also 30% incentive pay (Base pay starts at 350 per week for maintaining the quota). It sounds like a pretty good job, but I don't know how hard it would be to maintain that quota. I'm also having an interview about a position at a newly opened Quiznos sub restaurant in a mall food court.

Has anyone ever done canvassing for these grassroots organizations?

Jun 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 33
That's pretty much door-to-door sales, it's tough work. Even sympathetic people aren't crazy about people coming to the door. Also, you'll be out there on foot most of the time. How safe are the neighborhoods? And what will your earnings drop to if you don't make the quota? You might end up below minimum wage.

I still think you should try some temp agencies. If you can hit 40+ WPM, use the Microsoft Office Suite, answer phones, file, etc., you can get $12-$15 an hour or more in a bigger market. Further, most agencies will train you if they think you're marketable. Free training, too. Trust me, office work is better than sales or food services.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty much door-to-door sales, it's tough work. Even sympathetic people aren't crazy about people coming to the door. Also, you'll be out there on foot most of the time. How safe are the neighborhoods? And what will your earnings drop to if you don't make the quota? You might end up below minimum wage.

I still think you should try some temp agencies. If you can hit 40+ WPM, use the Microsoft Office Suite, answer phones, file, etc., you can get $12-$15 an hour or more in a bigger market. Further, most agencies will train you if they think you're marketable. Free training, too. Trust me, office work is better than sales or food services.

this is what the description says

Quote:

You are required to make quota at least once in your first three shifts in order to remain on staff. You are also required to average quota for your first five shifts, and to average quota for each week (defined as Monday through Sunday) after that. Quota for the week is pro-rated to take into account the number of days worked if fewer or greater than 5. If you fail to average quota for your first five shifts or for any week after that, you will be given a warning, and must average quota the following week in order to remain on staff. You will be permitted two warnings in any twelve month period. If you fail to average quota for a third week during any twelve-month period, you will not be able to remain on staff. If you miss quota for 3 consecutive shifts, you will not be able to remain on staff.

Yea, it seems kind of hard to get 110 dollars worth of membership/donation during these times....

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 33
As a Mass resident and taxpayer, I don't think you're going to have a whole lot of luck making quota these days. Quiznos sounds like a lot safer bet. While you're at the mall for the interview, check into all the other businesses to see if they're hiring. Remember that not all businesses are going to put out the cash to advertise a position in the paper.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 33
yeah, seems like normal minimum paid jobs in stores are all filled up. The only jobs left are these sorta weird salesman door to door jobs that aren't really stable. If I get the job at Quiznos, they might want me to keep coming back in the fall (the quiznos is in Burlineton) but I will be at Tufts... so it might be hard there

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 33
I, too, was looking for summer employment about a month and a week ago. 24 applications and zero calls back later, I said "screw it" and decided to enjoy the time off
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #24 of 33
ok, I'm really conflicted as to wehtether I should continue doing vector marketing. During training, when a lot of new representatives comes she, she introduces them to us and talks about how he's already had like 8 appointments in his first weekend and is already making hundreds of dollars. It seems like you could make a lot. However, I don't really want to call people I know and pressure them into buying knives, since the manager wants us to really pressure the people to set up appointments and stuff. The actual sales representative has to call random people to set up appointments for things they might not need.

I also have interviews next week for positions at Quiznos, Rite Aid, and dishwasher in nursing homes.

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #25 of 33
In all of the Head-Fi threads I've read, this is the only one where there was a consensus amongst all posters - the consensus being that Vector Marketing should be avoided at all costs.

Remember that these are people who have made a successful business selling crappy knives - most of them to would-be knife sellers like yourself. They know how to sell, so they're going to make it sound good. The reality is that better quality knives can be found at Kohl's, WalMart, B&B etc. so the only way you're going to sell these knives is on the kindness of strangers and pity of relatives. You have four years of Tufts to mooch off them. (And mooch you will, it's inevitable.) Don't play that card too early.

I was in your same situation 20 years ago, desperate for a job and sucked in by Vector's promises of riches and valuable sales experience. In all these years, that was the only interview I've ever walked out of. The idea of hitting up all my relatives to help pay for my sales samples sickened me. It's like selling Girl Scout cookies full-time, except that the cookies at least have some redeeming qualities.

Take one of the other jobs and bide your time until something else opens up. The Burlington area has tons of jobs -even some with better pay or better hours than what you have. It's inevitable that there will be an opening in one of those soon.

Hang in there. Something will happen. You have 2 more interviews than you had less than 24 hours ago, so you're obviously doing something right. You'll find something.

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #26 of 33
I too agree, don't work for Vector Marketing, they're a sham, a scam, a fly-by-night! I interviewed with them right after high school and was slightly dubious of their operation (despite that they offered to hire me right on the spot, I consider that even more dubious), and ended up not taking them up on it and leaving. Their operation is definitely one to stay away from!

Mow lawns instead if you have to, or you can start your own consulting-type business if you're already into a certain trade, like computers. Cutting below the standard rate for computer consulting firms in your area and reaping the benefits is always nice.
wink.gif

Your profile says you play violin, have you considered teaching little kids? (Other age brackets can work too.)

Jun 21, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #27 of 33
Office Max is restructuring theyre management team and relocating and cutting positions, which leaves money to hire new part timers.
They offer competitive pay for an entry-level position.
They will need help for school rush very soon, so go apply.

I hear Starbucks pays well for entry-level also.
The school kids will be going back to highschool and college, so apply there also.

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #28 of 33
You registered just to post that while bumping a dead thread?

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 33
oh come on guys it's not that suspicious....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back