VE RUNABOUT Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #76 of 323
Damn, I just fried my RA. 15v 1a obviously was not a good match......

Now I'm sad
frown.gif

Edit:
Amazingly it still seem to work properly with battery power despite the smoke and the smell. Happy again
smily_headphones1.gif

oh wow that was a close call. glad its still working. now I'm too scared to try a dc charger for my RA. Need to find out how much ampere is appropriate

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #77 of 323
oh wow that was a close call. glad its still working. now I'm too scared to try a dc charger for my RA. Need to find out how much ampere is appropriate

Yes indeed, I'm glad to :wink:

Better find out the right ampere before fooling around anymore with it.

I'm sure I've got an adapter with switchable voltage and ampere output somewhere. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #78 of 323
Ok, been playing around with RA and the Cayin C5 for the last 30 minutes and on low gain and volumes matched they sound identical to me. When I say identical I mean that I'd never be able to pick out which is which in a blind test. On high gain the RA has a darker background as expected given the higher power output on the C5.

Testing done with the Duke :wink:

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #79 of 323
Ok, been playing around with RA and the Cayin C5 for the last 30 minutes and on low gain and volumes matched they sound identical to me. When I say identical I mean that I'd never be able to pick out which is which in a blind test. On high gain the RA has a darker background as expected given the higher power output on the C5.

Testing done with the Duke
wink.gif

Thanks for testing this, Peter. Like I said my thoughts on C5 were from memory, but in conversations with Cayin reps they seemed to confirm my thoughts by calling C5 a "fun" sound signature and N6 a "transparent" sound signature. 

And I agree about C5 with bass boost on - only thing I could use it with were HP / IEM that were quite lean. For those, the bass boost helped round out the bottom but for most of of my collection, the bass boost was far too boomy and intrusive. As far as bass boost implementations go, I really like Fiio's subtle sub-bass focused boost with the E12A.

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that a ~$100 amp that sounds like Cayin C5 is an absolute steal!!!

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #80 of 323
As far as bass boost implementations go, I really like Fiio's subtle sub-bass focused boost with the E12A.

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that a ~$100 amp that sounds like Cayin C5 is an absolute steal!!!

Yes, $98 for Cayin C5 equiv sound rocks.

Fwiw, my favorite bass boost implementation is on my E12 - version1 - which was the initial "non-production" release. It mainly boosts the sub-bass region, and I love it with headphones such as the Fidelio X1. They should have provided that as an option in the production version imo.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #82 of 323
Yes, $98 for Cayin C5 equiv sound rocks.

Fwiw, my favorite bass boost implementation is on my E12 - version1 - which was the initial "non-production" release. It mainly boosts the sub-bass region, and I love it with headphones such as the Fidelio X1. They should have provided that as an option in the production version imo.

Yes, too many amps boost bass into upper mids and lower mids, which adds coloration instead of punch.

Sep 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #84 of 323
C&C bh2 has a small coloring with a bias in the warmly, RA absolutely neutral and has a more mature sound :sunglasses:

Thanks golov17!

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #88 of 323

Thanks golov17!

Wayne, it is dead neutral. Doesn't add any coloration, to my ears atleast. Furthermore, actually tames the bass in my bass heavy gear quite well makes everything sound more refined. Wouldn't be a stretch to say that from a technical standpoint, best performer for under 100 bucks, sonically speaking. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #89 of 323
Wayne, it is dead neutral. Doesn't add any coloration, to my ears atleast. Furthermore, actually tames the bass in my bass heavy gear quite well makes everything sound more refined. Wouldn't be a stretch to say that from a technical standpoint, best performer for under 100 bucks, sonically speaking. 

Consider it said then Tamal!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back