VE RUNABOUT Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #61 of 323

Honestly man, for someone who wants pure performance the RA is indeed a steal at 98 USD. If someone only cares about the sound without stuff like bass boost, you really can't go wrong with the RA. It DEMOLISHES my Fiio E17, SMSL M2 and is more neutral and transparent than the groove amp (which costs 380 CDN mind you). I wish I could just keep it plugged in as I want to use it as a desktop solution lol. 

Anyone have any impressions of the RA compared to the Cayin C5? (I did a search, but came up empty).

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #67 of 323
Anyone have any impressions of the RA compared to the Cayin C5? (I did a search, but came up empty).

I've compared them both on low gain and to me they sound identical. More people has reported the same iirc.

I still need to do more testing like high gain, with powercord connected and so on to make any more conclusions.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #69 of 323
Does RA sound neutral to you, Peter?

Yes it does. I've never understood that people think that the C5 is warm and bassy either though.

I find them both neutral, well controlled and with great authority.

I'm pretty sure it was @twister6 who mentioned it first to me and I agree.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #70 of 323
I've compared them both on low gain and to me they sound identical. More people has reported the same iirc.

So what you are saying then is that the RAsounds excellent! :)

Yes it does. I've never understood that people think that the C5 is warm and bassy either though.

Flick that "bass boost" switch on, and BOOM - warm and bassy! But, I know you know that 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, the bass coming out of the C5 with bass boost=OFF sounds excellent to me. I'd have to be a serious basshead (or be listening to seriously bass light gear) to turn it on.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #71 of 323
So what you are saying then is that the RAsounds excellent! :)

Flick that "bass boost" switch on, and BOOM - warm and bassy! But, I know you know that :D

Seriously, the bass coming out of the C5 with bass boost=OFF sounds excellent to me. I'd have to be a serious basshead (or be listening to seriously bass light gear) to turn it on.

Lol, yes indeed. Similar sound as the very well regarded C5, more solid build (although admittedly a bit bigger) and much better battery life at a sub $100 price, smells winner to me :wink:

As for bass boost I never use it, big surprise lol.....

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #72 of 323

I still need to do more testing like high gain, with powercord connected and so on to make any more conclusions.

would you be able to test if it can run connected to a charger with no battery installed? :)

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #73 of 323
Hey, Sorry , between the domestic demand and my distributors, it might take another month to officially introduce the RA internationally.

I just wanna take the time to confirm on the price, the international retail price will be 98USD.

We just keep them high for the moment , to keep people from paying for them accidentally.

My apologies for this misunderstanding.

Cheers

Lee

No worrries, I can wait. I'll just keep an eye on the site.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #74 of 323
would you be able to test if it can run connected to a charger with no battery installed? :)

Yes eventually :wink:

I know I've got a 15v DC adapter somewhere I just don't know where, I'll look for it when I get a chance.

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #75 of 323
Damn, I just fried my RA. 15v 1a obviously was not a good match......

Now I'm sad :frowning2:

Edit:
Amazingly it still seem to work properly with battery power despite the smoke and the smell. Happy again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back