VE Odyssey - Discussions and Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #151 of 244
Not with sensitive earphones. It’s noisy when I use it with either of my phones and paired with sensitive earphones. It does light up my Zens much better than the GS8 can alone.
Sorry I am confused again, does the same sensitive earphones work without noise on the s8 directly? Did you mean this cable introduces a noise on sensitve earphones which otherwise does not occur on direct plugin with the s8. Can you descibe how the sound differs compared to the stock s8's jack in terms of the following.

Which has more
1. Wider and deeper soundstage
2. Cleaner background
3. More dynamic
4. More details, overall clarity
5. loudness at the same software volume level
7. Layering
8. Neutral tone
9. Extension to both ends of the spectrum
10. Imaging
11. Seperation
12 Body to the instruments

I am sorry but, it would be helpful for others if you can rate these attributes, which can qunatify the quality in some ways.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #152 of 244
Sorry I am confused again, does the same sensitive earphones work without noise on the s8 directly? Did you mean this cable introduces a noise on sensitve earphones which otherwise does not occur on direct plugin with the s8. Can you descibe how the sound differs compared to the stock s8's jack in terms of the following.

Which has more
1. Wider and deeper soundstage
2. Cleaner background
3. More dynamic
4. More details, overall clarity
5. loudness at the same software volume level
7. Layering
8. Neutral tone
9. Extension to both ends of the spectrum
10. Imaging
11. Seperation
12 Body to the instruments

I am sorry but, it would be helpful for others if you can rate these attributes, which can qunatify the quality in some ways.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #154 of 244
Odyssey wins everything except 2 but EMI can be so bad that I won't use it with really sensitive earphones. It's $10usd my friend, not much risk in finding out for yourself how you like it.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #157 of 244
For sensitive IEM's I'd recommend the Hidizs Sonata but with most of my full size cans and earbuds I prefer the Odyssey....

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #158 of 244
Hey, it's 10 dollars. But it and find out if it works for you.
I dont want things which will not be better than what i already have. I thought someone will help me with a purchase decision, its a small amount but still why waste it if it does not do anything better? I thought it would be easy for somone to just answer the qurstionaire.if you have listened to it, it would take less than 2 minutes to answer.

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #160 of 244
@peter123 also there's another portable option. Fiio BTR3. Heard it's dac is good and is small also having LDAC support. What's your thought on that ? Does it win over Hidizs Sonata HD2 in terms of sound quality ?

Personally I'd never buy a first generation device from FiiO again (bad fw, slow updates etc) but I do own the Radsone ES100 which is a similar device. I think they're more complement to each other than competitors (the ES100 adding wireless for better or worse and having an extremely good app while the Sonata/Odyssey is more straightforward replacement for listening to your phone imo). The ES100 is superior in sound quality imo but it's also more relaxed and laid back which might not appeal to everyone. It's also a good deal more expensive (while still being quite cheap and probably represents the best value for money I've ever come across in this hobby).

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #161 of 244
I dont want things which will not be better than what i already have. I thought someone will help me with a purchase decision, its a small amount but still why waste it if it does not do anything better? I thought it would be easy for somone to just answer the qurstionaire.if you have listened to it, it would take less than 2 minutes to answer.
I ordered one. Hopefully I can write up a posituve review once I get it. :wink:

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #165 of 244
I am using this with my Xperia XA1 since last one month or so. Overall it sounds smoother,cleaner and better than the default hardware of the phone. However, it makes a Pop sound when connected disconnected with phone and sometimes also makes a hissing sound. Previously I tested it with a cheap Chinese mobile (Leagoo KIICAA Mix) and though it sounded very very good and much better than default sound of the phone, yet, all of a sudden it would start making high pitched static noise and only way to stop that is pulling out the USB from the phone, I wished that VE did supply some updated firmware (as provided by HIDIZs) and a method to flash the firmware in order to iron out the bugs and eradicate the problems stated above.
On a side note I also use the KZ USB C type DAC cable and I feel it sounds better than VE Odyssey, It is more louder, has more high frequency sparkles and tighter bass. The mids are almost same. The NEutron player detects the chip inside KZ cable as some "CBHT" make, much detail of which is not available in the net. The problem is KZ USB C DAC is only usable with KZ earphones and there are two different variants with different connectors. To overcome this problem of sole KZ compatibility, I am thinking of converting it to a generic USB C DAC to use with all earphones by cutting the cable and attaching a 3.5mm female socket to the cable. Anybody who has the KZ cable wiring diagrams (Left, Right &Ground) can give some hint to me. I think if I can make it - it will be too good.
I have also ordered a HIDIZs Sonata II which is on the way and a Covia Zeal Edge (also on the way) to take care of my Micro USB mobiles (Redmi 4X).
Regards

Hi, I have an Xperia XA1 too, but it just wouldn't connect! Another thing is that it autoplays music when I plug in my IEMs to the Odessey, when the Odeseyy is connected to my Huawei or PC! Is this normal for you, or any of you guys here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back