VE Monk IE Biggie and Smalls - Discussion and Impressions
May 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #181 of 188
And thx! kinds words like this is why I am getting up everyday to work instead of playing my super robot wars (haven't finished any game in the last 6 months... other than shovel knight...~and plz let me know how it is after you get the new tips~(gotta run ....to finish my work....)

Thanks for the post Lee, my wife and I appreciate all your efforts

Thank you for your nice words. I am very happy with all my VE products :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #182 of 188
What an interesting thread! I have just got mine and they are currently having some burn time. I bought them having heard a friends Biggie that was well burnt in playing some early Ry Cooder. Yes they are dark, but, with the right music.........they are like a very dark scotch.......perfect for cold windy winter evenings, when listening to acoustic instruments and sad laments from Christy Moore.

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #184 of 188
Ok, burn in complete, now for some obs.......

I have the black and red braided cable on the Biggies and the "silver" cable on the Smalls, it started out the opposite way round, but, after listening tests this is how it is for now. The only other significant change was to put Crystalline Audio 'medium core + small tip' tips on instead of the supplied tips; these fit my ears well and give fantastic seal and grip.

Playing through the Pono the Smalls really excel with high quality files Flac or SACD ISO's and I do mean excel; the sound is stop in your tracks lush!

However, for the sake of balance, it only sounds at this level with relatively relaxed music genre's that have a heavy use of acoustic instrumentation, or, are sparse in their instrumentation. When I tried them with other genre's they were not as enjoyable.

This is no surprise and not a problem for me, as I would describe 50% of my musical taste falling in to the preferred genre's.

Examples albums would be Dylan's - Blood On The Tracks, Cooder's - Chicken Skin Music, The Stones - Beggars Banquet, etc

The Biggies played through the Chord Hugo with the Shanling M0 as transport light up with high quality files and the higher output power. They are more dry in terms of presentation, but again if you like this, and I do, they bring a serene listening experience that can make time disappear as multiple albums are savoured.

Again, for the sake of balance, I tried them both "unamped" from my iPhone and I was somewhat non-plussed with either; so, in conclusion...........give them high quality files and a bit of oomph and they can shine - oh, and I quite like the quality and finish on them as well, I have no rough edges, only tight connections and they feel robust and long lasting.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #185 of 188
I know it's been a couple months since anyone posted on this thread but I have a question.

Which way do you all plug the cables into the iem? With the letter on the inside or outside? And which orientation is the iem in your ear? I've been wondering if I have the cables plugged in wrong, giving the wrong polarity.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #186 of 188
My understanding of polarity is that if you wore both IEMs the same way (ie with the letter facing out) the polarity won’t be a problem, it’s only if you do one with the letter facing out and one with the letter facing in that it’s audible.

Other people can correct me if that isn’t the case though.

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #188 of 188
And thx! kinds words like this is why I am getting up everyday to work instead of playing my super robot wars (haven't finished any game in the last 6 months... other than shovel knight...~and plz let me know how it is after you get the new tips~(gotta run ....to finish my work....)

Hi Lee / @zhibli06,

I enjoy the Smalls very much, especially with SPC, don't have the Biggies so can't comment on those.

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back