VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand
Nov 24, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,387 of 3,324
OK - just tested.

1. iPhone 5S - using a sine generator playing a constant 1kHz tone
  2. Attached to the 5S is a splitter - one line goes to the headphones direct - the other to an amp
  3. Volume matched exactly using the test tone and a calibrated meter.
  4. Then switched to music - and fast swapped between the splitter direct vs amp headphone out - without touching volume.
  5. Switched several times for multiple songs.

I'm going to group the amps together as there really wasn't a lot of difference with any of them - the E17K, E11K and Q1 all sound a lot alike - especially when testing like this.

I spent probably half an hour going back and forth - and any differences are really miniscule.  Overall there was maybe a tiny bit sharper detail with the amps (most evident with the E17K), and the bass might have been just a smidge looser with the iP5S direct - but this was really hard to pick up.

Now remember - this is using the iPhone always as DAC/player - and merely testing the amplification.

What I can definitely say is that the 5S drives the Zen2 beautifully, and I'd have no problem using it unamped - it really is sublime our of every source I've tried.  Volume is almost exactly half way on the iPhone5S for a comfortable listening volume but this will depend on environment.  75% on the iPhone was really too loud.

I next matched on the X3ii and listened at the louder level.  X3ii definitely better than the 5S - both amped or unamped.  It was just a little more dynamic / vivid?

Anyway - conclusions:
  1. You don't need to amp it as long as your source isn't ultra weak
  2. Any improvements are going to be pretty small
  3. Source is probably more important than power.

As a laugh - I tried Fiio's tiny M3 with the Zen2 (same tracks).  Comfortable volume is about 1/2 way - around 35/60.  It is really good - just a little bit warmer than the other sources.  I'd be quite happy with this modest combo too - in fact I'd probably take it over the iPhone.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #2,388 of 3,324

OK - just tested.

1. iPhone 5S - using a sine generator playing a constant 1kHz tone
  2. Attached to the 5S is a splitter - one line goes to the headphones direct - the other to an amp
  3. Volume matched exactly using the test tone and a calibrated meter.
  4. Then switched to music - and fast swapped between the splitter direct vs amp headphone out - without touching volume.
  5. Switched several times for multiple songs.

I'm going to group the amps together as there really wasn't a lot of difference with any of them - the E17K, E11K and Q1 all sound a lot alike - especially when testing like this.

I spent probably half an hour going back and forth - and any differences are really miniscule.  Overall there was maybe a tiny bit sharper detail with the amps (most evident with the E17K), and the bass might have been just a smidge looser with the iP5S direct - but this was really hard to pick up.

Now remember - this is using the iPhone always as DAC/player - and merely testing the amplification.

What I can definitely say is that the 5S drives the Zen2 beautifully, and I'd have no problem using it unamped - it really is sublime our of every source I've tried.  Volume is almost exactly half way on the iPhone5S for a comfortable listening volume but this will depend on environment.  75% on the iPhone was really too loud.

I next matched on the X3ii and listened at the louder level.  X3ii definitely better than the 5S - both amped or unamped.  It was just a little more dynamic / vivid?

Anyway - conclusions:
  1. You don't need to amp it as long as your source isn't ultra weak
  2. Any improvements are going to be pretty small
  3. Source is probably more important than power.

As a laugh - I tried Fiio's tiny M3 with the Zen2 (same tracks).  Comfortable volume is about 1/2 way - around 35/60.  It is really good - just a little bit warmer than the other sources.  I'd be quite happy with this modest combo too - in fact I'd probably take it over the iPhone.

Yup 
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,389 of 3,324
Just received my Zen 2.0 this afternoon. I will concur with previous posters that those sound best naked. I initially tried them with donuts and full cushions and was quite disappointed, overtly warm with loose bass.
Listening now naked I will agree that those are technically superior to the first version, more detailed and more open sounding.
But the original Zen with full cover still has that something special, slightly warmer with slightly lusher mids.
Longer listening time is necessary for me to decide which one I will ultimately keep.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,390 of 3,324
does the 2.0 still has that nice PRAT of the original?

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,393 of 3,324
Why not keep both? They're both very special earbuds!
L3000.gif

Can't! Upgraded my 1.0's, and my 2.0's are on the way. But, I'm sure I'll love the 2.0's so I'll be golden. I wonder though if the 1.0's will still be sold?

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,395 of 3,324

Nope, I think they are being discontinued. 

I think they pretty much HAVE to be discontinued, as there will not be much market for the 1.0 now that the 2.0 is out, and let's all keep in mind that VE is a very small outfit without a huge manufacturing capacity!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,396 of 3,324
  I think they pretty much HAVE to be discontinued, as there will not be much market for the 1.0 now that the 2.0 is out, and let's all keep in mind that VE is a very small outfit without a huge manufacturing capacity!

Huh. They may have become collector items! Seriously though, I loved those damned 1.0's.

A toast to the mighty 1.0's - they opened my ears and heart to the world of earbuds! And a toast to Lee - thanks Lee for creating these masterpieces :)
beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,398 of 3,324

You got rid of 1.0?!?

Nooo!!!
giphy.gif

Yes! Some so and so who shall remain nameless convinced me that it would be fine!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know, right. Zen 1.0 were great! Zen 2.0 are MAGIC!!!

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,399 of 3,324
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/759219/ve-a-new-and-impressive-earbuds-brand/2370#post_12098978 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
Yes! Some so and so who shall remain nameless convinced me that it would be fine!!!!

I know, right. Zen 1.0 were great! Zen 2.0 are MAGIC!!!

I said 1.0 were GREAT!!!, though. I didn't mean for you to trade them in. I imagine it's like owning HD600 and HD650. Both great, but one is probably magic for you depending on your taste.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,400 of 3,324
I said 1.0 were GREAT!!!, though. I didn't mean for you to trade them in. 

Yeah, but you said that the 2.0's are MAGIC!!!!!!!! lol!
I didn't mean for you to trade them in. I imagine it's like owning HD600 and HD650. Both great, but one is probably magic for you depending on your taste.

I'm sure you're right. C'mon 2.0's.... be my magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back