Vapor Trails
Jun 18, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by nec

Yes, I hear it clearly - it's like a tape recorded by somebody who doesn't know why there's a meter on his tape deck
frown.gif

Either that or thinks the red 'clip' LED is a good thing. :wink:

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #32 of 47
I never found Peart's percussion overwhelming, which is why I find his work on Vapor Trails a bit too subdued. Really, one of the reasons I've liked Rush so much is that they have the best drummer in the world, and you can tell. Still, there's nothing wrong with the drumming on the new album. ...

I might go see Rush later this summer. Thought I was going to be out of town, but moved that around -- now I just have to find someone to go with ... I don't think I have any friends that like Rush. Hmm.

kerleybonto

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #33 of 47
I guess Rush's music is somewhat esoteric and they're not into pleasing everyone with an ear. They do try, however, to make sure their adoring fans get what they want.

No immediate plans for them to show up in eastern Canada, but I see a couple shows booked in Toronto and one in Montreal in October.

Have you ever seen the band, live? They are INCREDIBLE. It's almost like a Muslim going to Mecca, as it should be done once in your lifetime.....

BTW, Neil was on fire for "Moving Pictures." Maybe overwhelming was not the correct term, but you know what I mean.

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #34 of 47
I'm 19, which I don't think is the average demographic for the band's fan, so that might explain why I don't have any friends who are Rush fans. Although I do have friends that listen to a lot of other music that's older than they are.

Maybe I can pick up some forty-year-old chicks working the concert solo.
wink.gif

kerelybonto

Jun 18, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #35 of 47
You could be in for an interesting evening.
biggrin.gif

I'm close to forty and I'd love to pick up a 19 or 20-year old chick at Rush concert (or anywhere). Most girls your age are into the Backstreet Boys or some other loser band; Rush are, really, for the testosterone-driven crowd of males, like us.

Most of Rush's fan base are like me - bald, thinning (no) hair, and glasses. We've grown up with them over the years, and we're all getting to be old farts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
I'm close to forty and I'd love to pick up a 19 or 20-year old chick at Rush concert (or anywhere). Most girls your age are into the Backstreet Boys or some other loser band; Rush are, really, for the testosterone-driven crowd of males, like us.

And drummers and bass players... Oh wait, you *did* say testosterone-driven...

I'm feeling old now because when I was 19 all the bassists and drummers I hung out with were way into Rush. The Police were also another favorite (jamming on Roxanne is a blast).

As a matter of fact, I was in a band when I was about 18-19 that did pretty much NOTHING but Rush covers. I played Freewill so much that I have blocked how to play the guitar riff to this day and I have no desire to relearn it.

The guitar solo to Tom Sawyer was the first solo I could play note-for-note. I also had a blast switching between playing keyboards and guitar on this tune. Listen to it, it's difficult but not impossible to get the keyboard riffs in the right places and the guitar riffs where they belong. The hardest thing was switching back to guitar before the guitar solo, kinda like upshifting from 1st to 4th while slamming on the brakes and not stalling (where the hell did I put that guitar pick!?).

Jun 18, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #37 of 47
Rush has spawned numerous bands that do their covers. I've never heard nor seen any of them, but this is the most sincere form of flattery.

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
Rush has spawned numerous bands that do their covers. I've never heard nor seen any of them, but this is the most sincere form of flattery.

Or it's what you play when the rest of the band can play NOTHING but Rush covers! I myself prefer a bit more of a challenge. Nothing against Alex but Rush isn't the most difficult stuff to play on Guitar. Drums and Bass is a whole other story!

The biggest challenge to me was keeping everyone NOT rushing the beat! It's pretty bad when the guitarist is doing the drummer's job. :wink:

Jun 20, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #39 of 47
Heh...Good to see fellow Rush fans, and fellow young ones. As for Kerely once being the youngest, I now am by a good three to four years...
wink.gif

As for Rush's Vapor Trails...love it...Was listening to it up to a few minutes ago when the cd unfortunately ended...*Sigh*

The comparison Kelly made when he said that Vapor Trails is no where near the work of Hemispheres, however, I must agree with...for these albums have a completely different sound...And I must say that I love both...But then again I never really cared for doing much more with music besides listening to it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and 'ello all...I am the newest member to these boards...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 47
"Hemispheres" is a definitive, progressive rock classic, one for the ages.

Rush are recording much simpler music, these days, with an emphasis on the basic three-piece sound, not totally unlike some of the early recordings, but with maturity. I love this "new" sound from the band, but, really, this is the way they always should have sounded.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Totoy
Kelly...I must agree with

Oh, and 'ello all...I am the newest member to these boards...
smily_headphones1.gif

Totoy,
Your first post was agreeing with *me*? I'm not sure that was the best first move you could have made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to HeadFi.

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #42 of 47
I really wish they would do another concept album though...

No one really does good concept albums anymore. The 70s were the hayday for those.

These days it's all about catchy tunes in under 5 minutes. Its all seems so formulated... AABA, ABABCAB, same ****, same three chords (I, IV, V or some variation like I, vi, IV, V), same three keys (E, A and D).

God music sucks anymore...

Back to Vapor Trails I like it (aside from the bad production) but I have to admit that I was expecting something more personal from Neil's lyrics on this album... Perhaps a bit more meloncholy. I think it would be cool if rush did a slow, depressing album for a change.

Neil's lyrics as of late have been somewhat trite and uninspiring. I mean, "Put your message in a modem and throw it in the byber-sea"? Not his best... I have been getting the feeling over the last 10 years or so that this has become more of a job than something he really lvoes to do.

Maybe next time Max Wienberg goes on tour with Springsteen Neil could sit-in on the band from Conan's Late Night. I bet he would be great and would likely have a good time.

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
I really wish they would do another concept album though...

No one really does good concept albums anymore. The 70s were the hayday for those.

Dream Theater: Metropolis Part II Scenes From a Memory
Best concept album. Ever.

Jun 21, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Dream Theater: Metropolis Part II Scenes From a Memory
Best concept album. Ever.

I'm on it!

Jun 23, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #45 of 47
Kelly...I was both agreeing and disagreeing...May not sound as good as Hemispheres...but it is a completely different overall sound...so they I enjoy both for different reasons...

As for concept albums...such a pity arent many more...'least around here...Ah well...I'll go check out that album...see if me likes...just need to get around to earning some extra money...at this rate I will have spent all my money on cds instead of better equipment...

Oh, and thanks for the welcomes,
smily_headphones1.gif
Ahh...Fountain of Lamneth...Want slow and depressing...Panacea section (If that is what you were to call it) of this song is nice and slow,
smily_headphones1.gif
'round the 10min mark I believe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back