Vapor Trails
May 13, 2002 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
The brand new RUSH CD "Vapor Trails" will be released tomorrow. So, I wanted to start this thread today so Rush Fans can start talking about it. Can't wait!!

May 14, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 47
I heard that there is no keyboard or synth on this album. On their very first album (pre Peart) it said on the back of the cover "No Synthesizers!". I guess they have come full circle. I'm going to have to check their tour schedule and see if I get lucky!

Rush- Fresno, CA 1978, '80, '81

May 14, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 47
Just got it, just listened to it. Incredible CD!! A must have. Musicianship, Musicianship, Musicianship. Lee, Lifeson & Peart are truely Masters of their instruments. 67 minutes long, which I beleive is the longest running Rush studio album.

May 14, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
I heard there was no guitar soloing on this album, that true?

I'll have to listen again. There are some short guitar solos. But, the solos are not like the early Rush albums, like on 2112, Farewell To Kings & Hemispheres. Alex Lifeson is such a talented Guitar player, whether he is soloing or not. It dosen't take away from Vapor Trails being a great Rush album.

May 14, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 47
If there is any synth stuff, it's with the bass and guitar pedals, but no keyboards.

I did like the 80's sound of Rush, with the highly-polished clean sound that made DDD recordings sparkle, but I prefer the more "unplugged" sound on the last three studio CD's. The sound seems multi-layered under a lot of very heavy but melodic structure, a sign of maturity from the band.

I love the 67-minute length, as the guys are giving us fans a real treat. Rush is not at the point in their career where money is important, just pleasing their legions of fans, and that's the sign of true musicians.

If this is the sound they will be sticking to in their 'twilight,' then I'm fine with it!

May 15, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 47
Superbaldguy,

I totally agree with what you said; It's music that matters most, not the money. Rush is proof that it's not how much money you make; it's who you become as a true artist and musician, and that's why Rush is so well respected by their fans.

May 15, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 47
I'm as much of a Rush fan as someone younger than about their first nine albums can be, but I have serious reservations about buying music made by artists over forty. Nothing against the elder crowd in general, mind you, but let's just say that after Stiff Upper Lip I decided it's best that rockers put the mic down after they've reached a certain maturity, ya know?

So anyway, I haven't heard anything from Vapor Trails yet. I get horrible reception here so I never listen to the radio. But, seriously now, atrophication hasn't taken its toll on Peart's supa-quick sticks has it? And Lifeson's vocals? I mean, Brian Johnson just sounded scary on SUL. I know their styles aren't exactly the same, but for guys with a signature voice like that -- well, change isn't welcome.

So please, before I run the risk of disenchantment, will someone assure me that this album is actually classic Rush, not just a self-composed elegy?

I want so much to believe ...

kerelybonto

May 15, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 47
AC/DC have burned themselves after their lifestyle finally caught up to them - too much drinking, partying, womanizing, and what not, but Geddy, Alex, and Neil are *true* musicians and have avoided a lot of ills that have plagued some bands.

Rest assured, Neil can (and does) outplay any drummer on the planet on VP, and Alex and Geddy can still hammer away with the best of them. Honestly, if I didn't know the guys were close to 50, I'd think they were younger chaps. Some things seem timeless.

To boot, the "layoff" for six years seems to be a re-energizer for Rush. It will be an interesting tour for those lucky enough to see it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Classic Rush, all the way! After a few listens, the CD is growing on me, as did all of their recordings do after a few tries.

May 15, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 47
Great Musicians can play forever, unless they become ill or sustain some kind of injury that would prevent them from playing.

There is a Jazz drummer named Elvin Jones who is now 74 years old and still plays the drums like he was 20!! I have some CD's that he plays on that were released within the last 3 or 4 years and you would never know that it was a man in his 70's playing drums.He played with John Coltrane in the early 60's.

With a band like Rush; I think they can carry on for a very long time, because of the style of music they play. They are not your so called "Rock Stars" and are not hung up on "Image". These guys are Musicians first and that's what it's all about, and that's what Rush is all about.

They have been successful because of their musical accomplishments and have created music that will always be remembered. Money is not their success, it's Honesty and Creativity.

May 15, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 47
No other band in the world has the ability to create music that seems to stop time as Rush does; I think that's their best feature, along with their superb musicianship. I mean, does "2112" sound like it was recorded over 25 years ago? How about "Hemispheres"? Production technology aside, these CD's still sound fresh to me, IMHO.

I'm listening to VT with my D-EJ925 and KSC-35's. The bass is rather thundering, for sure. Paul Northfield's production is sort of stripped of a lot of layers, just the basic three-piece crunch coming through, loud and clear.

Can you imagine how "Earthshine" will sound in concert? Oooooh....
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the Sprite commercial says it best about Rush....Image is nothing. Just the music, please. And to think these guys could continue for another ten years, well, that would be amazing. Maybe, when they reach age 60, everyone will FINALLY realize all their great accomplishments!

May 16, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 47
Haha, you refered to a Sprite commerical to make a point about being original?
wink.gif

Okay, I'll definitely check out Vapor Trails. I know the AC/DC reference wasn't exactly valid, but really, SUP scared me and I haven't felt the same about old rockers since.

Is there a tour for the album this summer? Any dates set yet?

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back