Vancouver Audiophile Meet May 18, 2014!
May 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #136 of 189
  I'm new in Head-fi but I wish I'm not too late to jump in this cargo. I think I can bring some mid- to low- fi stuff.  

I'm new to it all too, I'm going, meet my peers, and share and learn.

Don't worry, it's just going to be sitting around chatting and listening. No experience required. Just be careful that your ears might get spoiled forever and you'll have to start burning a lot more cash. :)

May 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #137 of 189
NIc Morelli and I will be setting up a Stax system together. Nic will bring his laptop, streaming files up to DXD quality, and his M2tech DAC with DIY outboard power supply, as well as a pair of Lambdas. I'll be bringing my Morelli tube headphone amp, High Fidelity ICs and SR009s. Nic may also bring his SR007 Mk1s if there's any interest in hearing them. Will we be setting up starting at 10 am? Will we need to bring extension cords?

If you are bringing your SR-009s, perhaps I don't have to ask Pat or Travis to bring mine? I ended up selling my Stax 717 amp as I am going to upgrade to a KGSSHV. I couldn't turn down a good offer. Unfortunately the new amp won't be here for 2-3 months.

Let me know if I should still talk to Pat about bringing mine.

Really disappointed I can't make this meet!!

Don

May 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #141 of 189
If you are bringing your SR-009s, perhaps I don't have to ask Pat or Travis to bring mine? I ended up selling my Stax 717 amp as I am going to upgrade to a KGSSHV. I couldn't turn down a good offer. Unfortunately the new amp won't be here for 2-3 months.

Don

No point in having yours there that I can see. We only have one amp with one plug for a headphone. Though, I do have an old Stax tube amp (late 80s vintage) on loan to a friend. Not a great sounding unit. I could maybe arrange to bring it, but we would need another front end and DAC, and in the end I don't know how useful the comparison would be.

May 6, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #142 of 189
  I'll have about 10 power strips to bring to the meet and can possibly scrounge up 2-3 more. Will 12-13 be enough?

That's more than enough thanks!

Don

Since it's looking like we will indeed have an 009 there, I don't think you need to go out of your way to get your unit there. However, when your KG comes, I'd love to take a listen! Maybe a mini-meet in the summer??

I'll definitely be there!

I will  demo TU-8200DX.  This amp is extremely good with LCD-3
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/elekit-tu-8200dx-vacuum-tube-headphoneintegrated-amplifier

See you

Great! See you there!

May 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #144 of 189
  That's more than enough thanks!

Since it's looking like we will indeed have an 009 there, I don't think you need to go out of your way to get your unit there. However, when your KG comes, I'd love to take a listen! Maybe a mini-meet in the summer??

Great! See you there!

I would be quite happy to have a mini meet up!  For that matter anyone of this group that wants to join us will certainly be welcome.  I will bring my various headphones, but especially the SR-009s and the KGSSHV and we can check out the different systems that people have.

I hope that everyone gets to try out the new Hifiman models as well as the Oppo PM-1 planers.  There seems to be lots of good things said about them.  Hopefully they will be delivered to Travis in time.

Don

May 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #145 of 189
So have we agreed to meet at coal harbor on May 18?aby more details please?

All details are on the first page, but in short it's May 18, 10AM-3PM. Tables will be provided, bring your powerstrip if you have gear that require power. Anyone is invited, so bring your friends and your SO!

I would be quite happy to have a mini meet up!  For that matter anyone of this group that wants to join us will certainly be welcome.  I will bring my various headphones, but especially the SR-009s and the KGSSHV and we can check out the different systems that people have.

I hope that everyone gets to try out the new Hifiman models as well as the Oppo PM-1 planers.  There seems to be lots of good things said about them.  Hopefully they will be delivered to Travis in time.

Don

I hope they are in as well. PM-1 is on my direct interest list. We'll see about the mini-meet after this meet. :wink:

May 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #146 of 189
  Dropped by HB today and chatted a bit with Travis. May 18 is definitely on; T mentioned he had the Coal Harbour room booked. Asked about the Hifiman HE-560 and the Oppo PM1 and there is a possibility T may be able to land some demo units for us from the respective reps. HB should also be getting its shipment of HE-560s by the third week of May or so, perhaps even just before the date of the meet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that as that would be awesome for the meet - no promises though. Also looking forward to trying Parkie's Stax SRs if he manages to trust someone with them for the meet.

... Yeah got to try the AKG 812 today and was really wowed. I'm surprised it is not making as many waves especially on Head-Fi. It's very sensitive, probably 15-20% more than the other AKGs I got to try in the shop - 612, 712 and another model I forgot. The 812 was just miles ahead, very open sounding and was playing fantastically well out of my iPod/Fiio E11 combo. Anyway hope to meet up with some of you guys soon -- p.s. am also willing to pitch in so the room costs can be spread out, etc. Are we doing that this time around again?

I'm a little late in replying to this post, but I will just add that I had about 30-40 minutes with the HD800s and the K812s being powered by the Auralic Taurus MkII headphone amp, after a few minutes with the Resonessence Concero HP.  The Sennheiser HD800s sounded better on the Auralic amp than I have ever heard them.  I enjoyed them a fair amount.  However, as soon as I tried the AKG 812s through the same amp, the emotion of the music came back and on certain parts of certain songs, the 812s out resolved the HD800s.  I can see someone liking either headphone, but for my tastes, the 812s are the one.  I really came away impressed with the Auralic Taurus MkII as well!

Don

May 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #147 of 189
OK I'll bring these stuff:
Sennheiser Momentum, V-Moda M80, Audio Technica EW9, Fiio E6, and possibly my PC&Audio Technica ESW9A.

In terms of the dinner, what's an accepted price range? Gyu-Kaku at 888 Nelson St might be  appropriate? I know people like meat ...

May 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #148 of 189
I'll try and make it out. I've taken a bit of a hiatus from the hobby but starting to venture back in. I have an HE-400, LCD-2, JH-Audio 13pro and KECES DA-151 DAC and Sigma M3 amp I could bring. Will confirm sooner to the date if I can make it there!

May 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #150 of 189
Hello Everyone-

I would love to come check out the meet, but have never been to one before. I can bring the following:

HD800
HD650
Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball upgrade.
Apogee Duet DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back