Van Den Hul Optocoupler MKII - anyone else using this?
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings!

I'm on my second Van den Hul Optocoupler MKII mini-Toslink cable and both cables have had at least one connector that looks pretty mangled. The actual cable looks fine, but it almost looks like the barrel of the connector was gripped with pliers when terminating. I'm attaching a picture.

I'm just trying to decide if this is something I need to live with (this is the second cable I've gotten with this condition) or if something else is going on. I'm in contact with the dealer (who's great to deal with) but I'm just looking for someone else's experience.

Of course, the picture on the box shows a pristine-looking connector...

I can't comment on the sound yet since I haven't actually taken either cable home yet!

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Indeed there are! I have one in daily use...
smile.gif

Just checked it right now (never noticed anything earlier) and the connectors in both ends are pristine. Not a single scratch or mark in the gold/silver rings.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you! I couldn't believe that it would be "normal" from a company like Van den Hul. I very much appreciate your response!

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed there are! I have one in daily use...
smile.gif

Just checked it right now (never noticed anything earlier) and the connectors in both ends are pristine. Not a single scratch or mark in the gold/silver rings.

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 8
The cable is fine, but the plugs are rather cheap things, which is a surprise for me considering the quality of VDH's other cables.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I have a pair at home also They look the same but mine looks like there was little "Force" excerted on the barrel.

On the connectors, this is just my observation. the VDH toslink cables are different from most of the optical cables I used. I have a Supra Xzact, a chinese brand and a 8 USD unknown 2 meter one. The connector has a convex lense which seems to stick out more from either of the three I had. I haven't had a glass toslink though to compare with. I will stop before saying anything on difference. lol! =(

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi

FWIW I have this cable and the connectors just look fine to me.
I've always been very careful with the cable since it feels fragile -
almost like it's filled with jelly - and I move it as little as possible.

The connectors themselves do seem a little fragile also.

I would send / take them back.

Good luck.

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I ordered a couple of other less expensive cables that seem to be recommended here (Sys Concepts, etc). I'm going to send back the VDH. I'd still really like to have that cable but I need it to be "right". I'll see if the dealer is willing to try and get me a cable in better condition.

Thanks again!

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 8
You're most welcome!
smile.gif

Keep on returning them until you get a pair in the condition they are supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back