Vali 2 tube rolling
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #3,271 of 6,436
If all my tubes suck it will be Bill and his freaking Mind Games BS. I'll be just an innocent injured party and part of a class action suit.

Feel free to send me all your tubes. I'll keep the 3 good ones and pawn the rest off on Ebay for $10 OBO for the lot.

Don't worry...I'll PayPal you the Ebay proceeds immediately. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,272 of 6,436
Geeeez….either your guys memory is shot, or....

I said all GE-MADE 6SN7's are terrible. Lots of different manufacturers made 6SN7's for GE and put GE's logo on them. And I will also say for the record that there is the possibility of a GE-MADE 6SN7 that doesn't sound terrible. No doubt they screwed up every now and then and made a tube that was way out of their specs and actually sounded good. But that's a needle in a haystack kinda thing. :smile:
Well no doubt I used a GE made GE for the challenge.

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #3,273 of 6,436
Well no doubt I used a GE made GE for the challenge.

And I have no doubt of that either. I think you really want to know what happens with a truly blind test (rather than just a 'let's see if we can embarrass Bill' experiment) and as such have done everything possible to make it valid and fair. What I don't get is why nobody else signed on for the challenge. Chickens? :relaxed:

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #3,274 of 6,436
As if there will be any tubes left...

Possibilities in no particular order...

1. They will overheat and explode.
2. Once the tubes are revealed and you find you rated a legit GE as #1, you will destroy them all in a fit of rage, burying all evidence somewhere on Kings Mountain.**
3. You will declare they all suck equally and this challenge has been a total waste of your time and then destroy them all in a fit of rage, burying all evidence somewhere on Kings Mountain.**
4. You will claim you never received the tubes due to a porch pirate or some other lame excuse for fear that you may select another tube ahead of a GE and could permanently damage your standing at HF further than it is already. And then you will destroy them all in a fit of rage, burying all evidence somewhere on Kings Mountain.**

I don't think the tubes will make it past its 1st recipient.

** Assuming your Mazda RX-8 does not break down along the way. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #3,275 of 6,436
As if there will be any tubes left...

Possibilities in no particular order...

1. They will overheat and explode.
2. Once the tubes are revealed and you find you rated a legit GE as #1, you will destroy them all in a fit of rage.
3. You will declare they all suck equally and this challenge has been a total waste of your time and then destroy them all in a fit of rage.
4. You will claim you never received the tubes due to a porch pirate or some other lame excuse for fear that you may selecte another tube ahead of a GE and could permanently damage your standing at HF further than it is already. And then you will destroy them all in a fit of rage, burying all evidence somewhere on Kings Mountain.

I don't think the tubes will make it past its 1st recipient.

You keep forgetting, but according to you I have no reputation or imagination. Only thing I have to lose is the cost of buying Tom a steak dinner, which I'd probably pay for anyway if we ever got a chance to meet up. On the bright side, if it turns out I actually like the GE, I have about 20 of 'em upstairs that will suddenly become good tubes. LOL!!

Jul 6, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,276 of 6,436
Let me set you straight there, buddy.

1. A crappy reputation is still a reputation. :smirk:
2. You have no imagination. That's why I know you'll be taking the tube remains to Kings Mountain. So predictable. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well, I've avoided steam cleaning the carpet as long as I could. Gotta go!! :D

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #3,277 of 6,436
And I have no doubt of that either. I think you really want to know what happens with a truly blind test (rather than just a 'let's see if we can embarrass Bill' experiment) and as such have done everything possible to make it valid and fair. What I don't get is why nobody else signed on for the challenge. Chickens? :relaxed:

I do have others who want to try but many on this thread are out of the country and explaining these to customs would be a nightmare.

I am using some highly rated tubes so you have a good chance of coming out on top, there are two in the batch that could give you trouble. :ksc75smile:

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #3,278 of 6,436
You keep forgetting, but according to you I have no reputation or imagination. Only thing I have to lose is the cost of buying Tom a steak dinner, which I'd probably pay for anyway if we ever got a chance to meet up. On the bright side, if it turns out I actually like the GE, I have about 20 of 'em upstairs that will suddenly become good tubes. LOL!!

Just like some of the Russian tubes you guys search for, there may well be a GE tube from a specific year that is quite remarkable but that stupid dot date code system would make them hard to spot.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #3,279 of 6,436
Nope.

I will have to buy a brand new TOTL amp plus an ear exam for the test. I am too cheap to take the challenge.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #3,280 of 6,436
Nope.

I will have to buy a brand new TOTL amp plus an ear exam for the test. I am too cheap to take the challenge.

I have plenty of amps but it is fun to try to improve an inexpensive amp if you can get enough tube sound to come through. Dual 7A4’s of the correct type make a big difference in the Vali 2, I have a harder time with 6SN7’s in it.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #3,281 of 6,436
Well, I've avoided steam cleaning the carpet as long as I could. Gotta go!! :D

Is there padding under that carpet or is it glued directly to the floor of the cave?

:grimacing:

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #3,282 of 6,436
Straight to the floor, BangyBang style!!

(Astro-turf, BTW. You know how Texans are about their football!!)

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #3,283 of 6,436
@bcowen : For the record -- I don't think Tom WANTS to embarrass you. That would just be an added BONUS!!!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #3,284 of 6,436
@bcowen : For the record -- I don't think Tom WANTS to embarrass you. That would just be an added BONUS!!!

It is one thing to enjoy a specific sound, another to find it consistently. Bill had the courage to take on the quest, and stand by his GE ambivalence. :smile_phones:

Jul 7, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,285 of 6,436

Actually, I applaud Tom for going to the considerable amount of thought, time, and expense to put this test together. Win or lose, I'll learn something. And if I end up being totally embarrassed, it won't be the first time and unlikely to be the last. I'm a big boy, and I'd rather know the actual truth even if it shatters my preconceived notions. But not to worry...I'll gloat like a MF'er if I win. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back